software to auto interact with spread betting

J

jaichopra

Dear All computing and software experts, would any body kindly inform me if there is a software one can buy and then link with their spread trading platform, such that it will initiate and close positions along-with moving stop-losses on open positions as may have been instructed by you .i.e trailing stop-loss function ,so that the whole thing can be automated. I ask what is completely out of my area of understanding ,but sometime ago i came across something called REFCO, or so i think, which talked about completely computer led trading ,without personal presence,using either a predefined strategy or one put in by the user.May be it was called STRATEGY RUNNER. Very much appreciated .Many thanks. Jai.

As far as I know none of the spreadbet firms offer this facility or are likely to.

Interactive Brokers, however, offer a very reliable API interface. You can use C++, VB, Java and even Excel to place trades automatically. I use Excel VBA and it works very reliably.

Many thanks for that sidinuk,but as my computer literacy is extremely basic,i don't even know what is an Excel VBA .However if you could take time for showing me and setting up such a method of placing and moving stoploss figure automatically then i would quite happily share this simple method which i use ,which makes a lot of points and money. At the moment I have to sit and work this on the screen ,but some sort of automation would be like an amazing thing ,because then there would be no work involved at all. I can inform you that this method does not require any technical chart analyses or fundamental research .You decide (at the moment ,without automation)when you have the time to sit in front of the screen and you trade right there and then ,although some times it is better to wait for a sort of price movements to get better results. The next trade can be started at the end of the current one almost straight away if one wanted. A losing trade is contained within 40-50 point frame on a volatile index like DOW and winning trades are far more in frequency and profit. I am positive that a computer software affluent person would also allow through one's backtesting ability to fine tune this system if and as needed. regards jai

By the way if you felt that what i am talking is probably a far-fetched system then i am quite willing to explain it to you on the phone, it will only take two minutes to explain how it works.I tried to learn a lot of technical analyses and chart reading and time and price forecasting etc.,but all i got was a lot of knowledge which made me so confused that i would lose a trade just because i could'nt always remember all the really smart stuff during trading at most times and also because the markets only at times did honour my informations and learnings,if it felt like so.But then i remembered that trading is not about how many things i know about various indicators etc.,but about making money. I am only really going on and on about this as I truly believe that maybe somebody will be able to help me to make my work almost zero ,and then who knows that whether it was my or that somebody's luck,which bestows upon us GOD'S grace. I look forward to hearing from you. thanks jai

CORRRECTION "make my work almost zero......i.e .allows me to make money without any real effort on my part and employ the method themselves to do the same if he/she wants.

I'm not sure that my programming skills are so good that I could write a program for you that would be totally fool proof. You see, sometimes things can go wrong, the Internet connection can go down, the exchange can go down, your order doesn't get filled when it should - you really need to know what your automated program is doing so that you can fix it. There are others on this board who do offer commercial software for automated trading - do a search for 'spot on' !

sidinuk said:
I'm not sure that my programming skills are so good that I could write a program for you that would be totally fool proof. You see, sometimes things can go wrong, the Internet connection can go down, the exchange can go down, your order doesn't get filled when it should - you really need to know what your automated program is doing so that you can fix it. There are others on this board who do offer commercial software for automated trading - do a search for 'spot on' !

Well given your rules I could certainly write a program for you that trades via IB

However such systems are never fullproof because lots of things can go wrong:

1) You lose power
2) Your PC crashes, has a virus etc
3) Your internet connection fails
4) Your brokers systems fail
5) The exchanges systems fail

You can of course take steps to reduce these problems.

Give me a PM if you require further assistance.

JonnyT

By the way if you felt that what i am talking is probably a far-fetched system then i am quite willing to explain it to you on the phone, it will only take two minutes to explain how it works.I tried to learn a lot of technical analyses and chart reading and time and price forecasting etc.,but all i got was a lot of knowledge which made me so confused that i would lose a trade just because i could'nt always remember all the really smart stuff during trading at most times and also because the markets only at times did honour my informations and learnings,if it felt like so.But then i remembered that trading is not about how many things i know about various indicators etc.,but about making money. I am only really going on and on about this as I truly believe that maybe somebody will be able to help me to make my work almost zero ,and then who knows that whether it was my or that somebody's luck,which bestows upon us GOD'S grace. I look forward to hearing from you. thanks jai

I might be able to help. I work in the computer industry and have a lot of computer programmming experience. if you can send me details of the manual tasks you currently do and decision process you apply then I can have a look at possible ways to automate.
I m trying to get into spread betting so I want to learn of any simply system of making a profit.

Hello kapid123

I am starting to trade a simple system manually with SB firms in the UK which I am sure can be automated as it only uses price movement. I believe it would be possible to use the info from the SB firms before it is converted to html to automate a simple system. I would have to learn VB or C++ to do this unless you are willing to have a go at it. I cannot say how profitable or lossmaking my system is until an automated version is built and tested on a demo account and then a live account with small stakes. If it was profitable maybe the SB firm would detect its use and close the account?
Early stages and just a few thoughts.