So many choices! Experienced traders advice please...

avgjoe

Hi all

started getting into spread betting about 3 years ago and abandoned it as I did'nt have enough time for it then. I still consider myself an absolute beginner, and I have some questions around charting software. This issue for me, is born out of the fact that SB sites don't offer all the best charting indicators and the trades I make are usually made with too much emotion / guesswork. Also, there must a platform to apply everything you learn on a daily basis (for beginners like me). One gets tired of reading printed documents and not being able to apply / see them in a current environment.

I've been advised by a friend to look at ShareScope (also I have programming skills). However, on investigating this I find that there are a lot of options and wanted to get people's feedback on here.

Ideally (this is wishful thinking I know, but am putting it out there) I want software to:

1. Report real time quotes - usually trade the major indicies & stocks (FTSE,NYSE,Nasdaq)
  2. Be able to do technical analysis with key indicators (incl. volume)
  3. Be able to back test strategies
  4. Notify me if certain criteria is reached on selected stocks / indicies i.e. be able to upload / create these criteria
  5. Catered for beginners, but with the ability to support you as you grow
  6. As I have a full time job still, allow me to get any signals via text message, IM or email i.e. I can't look at a trading screen all day (sadly)

Now I have two choices ahead:

1. Go for an online source (Yahoo, StockCharts, ADVFN)
  2. Go for an application (Sharescope, metastock etc)

Additionally, there are applications like MTpredictor, which sound good in theory but cost a fair amount and require you to have deep pockets and a fair amount of faith in it. So perhaps one could pay for something like MTPredictor, but then what to use for analysis? Surely you don't just wait for MTPredictor to say buy / sell?

In a perfect world there'd be one application that 'can' do all of the above. I don't want to pay for something and find out that its crap. I'd like to get people's opinions on here to see what they would advise.

ProRealTime? Its free for EOD data, payment required for real time data.

Might be worth a look you sounds in a similar situation as myself. I was looking at ShareScope first but am still playing around with my strategy so thought it would as good a starting point as any.