So if you get to be consistently profitable, what next?

You cant get a job but have a 30k trading account.
Do you have a money tree to pay debts etc ??????????

No, I can't get a job. I think I'm over-educated and it intimidates people. So I need an environment without a big hierarchy - where people won't be worried about being shown up.

This is a daft conclusion and ironically indicates that you are under-educated, so to speak ;)

It's very difficult to comment as it's unclear whether you haven't had any success because you are over-educated. Or your interviewers have other reasons that they are unwilling to divulge.

I was simply pointing out that over-educated people don't "intimidate" other people in the workplace.

I work in shipping. The best broker I know is a Cambridge graduate with a 1st. The equal best is a guy expelled from school and doesn't have an O-Level to his name. They both earn £1m+ a year.

I respect them both equally and am not intimidated by the Cambridge Grad.

I had no idea you could make that kind of money in shipbroking. If you want to PM me where you work perhaps I can come in and meet people and see if I should apply to do that. I assume it's in London.

That's why I said, "seek help."
A psychologist would help you discover why you feel you are not attractive to employers. And help you to overcome any faults within your character or mental outlook that employers found unattractive.

Alright then I'll give my doctor a copy of this conversation and ask if he wants to refer me.

I'd add to this and say: Confide in a close friend and ask them to be honest with you as to why they think you might be struggling finding employment.

I do sometimes. They ask me why and I say that often I've been for interviews, get very positive feedback, then never hear anything further, or only hear back months later. My friends just roll their eyes, or tut as if to say it's the fault of the employers.

You cant get a job but have a 30k trading account.
Do you have a money tree to pay debts etc ??????????

I have more savings than that. I'm simply very good at managing my own money I suppose (although of course cue the next person to come along and say that's why you can't get a job - you're too immodest).

I do sometimes. They ask me why and I say that often I've been for interviews, get very positive feedback, then never hear anything further, or only hear back months later. My friends just roll their eyes, or tut as if to say it's the fault of the employers.

Do your close friends interview you?
Get someone to interview you who could also be objective. What industry are you in? Not that’s too relevant it’s about how you respond to the question, your employability as it were. And no it’s not the interviewer, it’s you. Take it personally, seek out why. I interview all the time, I look for the same things:
Why you want the job?
What can you bring to the job?
Why my company?
Why did you leave the last one?
Where do you see yourself?

It’s how you answer these questions, rather than the answer itself

Forget trading full time -you have to be in the top 5% of traders ( some with barely an "O" level to their name) to achieve that.

Yes I can see how, in a way, having barely an "O" level could be an advantage in trading. Trying to be as polite as possible, if you were less educated you might find looking at a graph and levels of support and resistance etc. really interesting. If you were more educated you would look at those things then go off and think about something more interesting, planning to come back later when there was an appropriate setup. But during that time the less educated person would have kept looking at the graph and thought about things much more than you, and maybe seen opportunities that you would miss.

I had no idea you could make that kind of money in shipbroking. If you want to PM me where you work perhaps I can come in and meet people and see if I should apply to do that. I assume it's in London.

I work on the Owning side, something you only really get into once you've had experience elsewhere in the industry.

I used to be a broker though. And to work on this side, you have to be in the office at 6.30am. Work till 6-7pm. Go out with clients at least twice a week until midnight. And then there's the lunches and the drinking... the industry involves a lot of drinking. (Ok, you don't have to drink, but it helps to 'fit in'). Most of these guys drink a bottle or two of wine then head back to the office to do another 3-4 hours work.

You have to be very confident, ballsy, extremely good with numbers, travel a lot ... and be prepared to bash your head against a brick wall for years on relatively little money before you get a break. The young/inexperienced brokers get treated like sh1t.

Be honest, does that sound like you?

Alright then I'll give my doctor a copy of this conversation and ask if he wants to refer me.

Good idea. otherwise your superiority complex and lack of social skills will be a major barrier to any meaningful employment. Good luck with any treatment.

The employer is just being polite and mindful of legal procedures in turning down applicants. They obviously didn't like you as a person, regardless of qualifications. The response from the employer that, " you are overqualified" etc, are standard responses from employers who, in a polite way, are saying they don't want to work with you. And friends will tell you what you want to hear to avoid upsetting you - they may say something different out of your hearing range. Hopefully, if you seek professional help, as alluded to above, you can be taught to overcome any negative traits you are unconsciously causing to be detected by the interviewer(s). And the professional will tell you the truth unfettered by bonds of friendship.
Have you considered that your friends "roll their eyes" simply because you don't get it -that the employer simply didn't like you.
But based on your comments about trading I fear you are a long way, several years, from being in the 5% of profitable traders.
No one here can help you anymore until you get help to understand yourself.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I work on the Owning side, something you only really get into once you've had experience elsewhere in the industry.

I used to be a broker though. And to work on this side, you have to be in the office at 6.30am. Work till 6-7pm. Go out with clients at least twice a week until midnight. And then there's the lunches and the drinking... the industry involves a lot of drinking. (Ok, you don't have to drink, but it helps to 'fit in'). Most of these guys drink a bottle or two of wine then head back to the office to do another 3-4 hours work.

You have to be very confident, ballsy, extremely good with numbers, travel a lot ... and be prepared to bash your head against a brick wall for years on relatively little money before you get a break. The young/inexperienced brokers get treated like sh1t.

Interesting insight. Sounds like few people have got what it takes to succeed.

Well I am really good with numbers and like to travel a lot. But I'm not an early morning person, would hate to describe myself as "ballsy", and I loathed the excessive drinking that I saw when I worked in the City. So probably not.

your superiority complex and lack of social skills will be a major barrier to any meaningful employment.

So when a bank rejected me out of hand because I was "too pleasant" that was their way of saying that I had a superiority complex and lacked social skills, do you think?

Anyway the City is full of arrogant people with poor social skills so I ought to fit right in there if what you say is correct.

So when a bank rejected me out of hand because I was "too pleasant" that was their way of saying that I had a superiority complex and lacked social skills, do you think?.

dont worry much about what the interviewer says after rejecting you - you weren't what they were looking for - get over it quick and move on. dont be pathetic and weak asking for BS reasons, figure out the reasons for yourself

Last edited:
This is a trading forum, not a jobseekers forum so I will keep this brief but maybe your CV is already throwing up red flags in which case you are being interviewed as an outside chance from the start. For example, what was your last job, when, why did you leave etc. This kind of stuff is very important to potential employers. You should get a professional screening of your CV before the more expensive and time consuming psych help.

If someone is going through the purple patch of his trading career then he needs to stick to his strategy and not to do any kind of silly mistake. This is a market which requires to maintain the momentum as long as possible. You are advised to take profit out and invest it in some other businesses as well.