So if you get to be consistently profitable, what next?

Arbu

236 7
ARBU -it could be you. You might have faults which you are unaware of or ignore. Have you considered that the employer might be right ( for reasons other than those you put forward) and that you might be wrong ?
Of course. But I can't figure out what.

neil

Legendary member
5,167 745
Of course. But I can't figure out what.
That's why I said, "seek help."
A psychologist would help you discover why you feel you are not attractive to employers. And help you to overcome any faults within your character or mental outlook that employers found unattractive.

Arbu

236 7
Have you considered consulting? It served me well at one point in my life and I really did enjoy it.
Funnily enough that's what I wanted to do after university - Bain & Co, McKinsey's etc. Thought it looked really interesting. But they all turned me down. Someone said that they liked slightly older graduates who would have more gravitas. I was only 20 when I left Cambridge so I decided to go off travelling for a year and get a bit older.

Traderjohnsblog

11 0
I was youngish when I started. I found a problem in my industry and came up with a solution. I then sold the solution on my own to companies that had the problem. I probably came off as the young whiz kid. I made many phone calls, sent many emails and made many friends along the way.

Dowser

Experienced member
1,285 287
A psychologist would help you discover why you feel you are not attractive to employers. And help you to overcome any faults within your character or mental outlook that employers found unattractive.
I'd add to this and say: Confide in a close friend and ask them to be honest with you as to why they think you might be struggling finding employment.

itspossible

2,778 557
You cant get a job but have a 30k trading account.
Do you have a money tree to pay debts etc ??????????

Kaeso

Established member
836 91
No, I can't get a job. I think I'm over-educated and it intimidates people. So I need an environment without a big hierarchy - where people won't be worried about being shown up.
This is a daft conclusion and ironically indicates that you are under-educated, so to speak ;)

Arbu

236 7
It's very difficult to comment as it's unclear whether you haven't had any success because you are over-educated. Or your interviewers have other reasons that they are unwilling to divulge.

I was simply pointing out that over-educated people don't "intimidate" other people in the workplace.

I work in shipping. The best broker I know is a Cambridge graduate with a 1st. The equal best is a guy expelled from school and doesn't have an O-Level to his name. They both earn £1m+ a year.

I respect them both equally and am not intimidated by the Cambridge Grad.
I had no idea you could make that kind of money in shipbroking. If you want to PM me where you work perhaps I can come in and meet people and see if I should apply to do that. I assume it's in London.

Arbu

236 7
Alright then I'll give my doctor a copy of this conversation and ask if he wants to refer me.

Arbu

236 7
I'd add to this and say: Confide in a close friend and ask them to be honest with you as to why they think you might be struggling finding employment.
I do sometimes. They ask me why and I say that often I've been for interviews, get very positive feedback, then never hear anything further, or only hear back months later. My friends just roll their eyes, or tut as if to say it's the fault of the employers.

Arbu

236 7
You cant get a job but have a 30k trading account.
Do you have a money tree to pay debts etc ??????????
I have more savings than that. I'm simply very good at managing my own money I suppose (although of course cue the next person to come along and say that's why you can't get a job - you're too immodest).

malaguti

2,347 452
I do sometimes. They ask me why and I say that often I've been for interviews, get very positive feedback, then never hear anything further, or only hear back months later. My friends just roll their eyes, or tut as if to say it's the fault of the employers.
Do your close friends interview you?
Get someone to interview you who could also be objective. What industry are you in? Not that’s too relevant it’s about how you respond to the question, your employability as it were. And no it’s not the interviewer, it’s you. Take it personally, seek out why. I interview all the time, I look for the same things:
Why you want the job?
What can you bring to the job?
Why my company?
Why did you leave the last one?
Where do you see yourself?

It’s how you answer these questions, rather than the answer itself

Arbu

236 7
Forget trading full time -you have to be in the top 5% of traders ( some with barely an "O" level to their name) to achieve that.
Yes I can see how, in a way, having barely an "O" level could be an advantage in trading. Trying to be as polite as possible, if you were less educated you might find looking at a graph and levels of support and resistance etc. really interesting. If you were more educated you would look at those things then go off and think about something more interesting, planning to come back later when there was an appropriate setup. But during that time the less educated person would have kept looking at the graph and thought about things much more than you, and maybe seen opportunities that you would miss.