Smaller Crashes That Hurt

vicktor

I guess most people worry about the big market crashes thinking that the smaller ones will not hurt. But I think it's a delusion to think that the small ones ( after the fact of course), that they do little to a person's portfolio. Here for instance are the mini crashes that accumulate to disaster. This will show that it is so difficult to beat the market, between these periods of time you would have to over- ride the losses in each crash, and that is most difficult to do. For instance, see item 1 shown here, you would have to make about 30% before you lost 17%. Then you would have to recover between item 1 and item 2. You would have to gain back at least 35% in a fast and short time. Then you would have to again over-ride the -14% in item 2. Again and again, in each instance you would have to gain way over and above the loss in each instance. IOW, it's a difficult game, a very difficult game.

Just Analise this example. I guess you math wizards would be much better at analyzing it than I am of course. But the details should show up more accurately in each instance where you would have to overcome the percentages loss each time each attempt. They say investing in the market is a positive game, but well, I don't know where that conclusion came from. The loss from March 2000 to the end of he bear market was abut 75%. Just some info, and a small example just going back a few years. In each instance even if you could time the market, just one mistake will pretty much wipe you out.

1)..07/14 to 09/10/98 -17.63%
2)..01/07/2000-03/14/2000-14.85%
3)..05/21/2001-09/26/2002-22.15%
4)..03/19/2000-10/09/2000-31.49%

The peak of the Dow was o 01/20/2000. As of today, five years after, 04/16/2005, it is still down about 11%. The NASDAQ is down about 18%. I should take my own advise and quit, but curiosity, killed the cat! :>))

Your examples are long term declines rather than crashes.
You don't have to stay long if the market is moving against you for long periods of time.

You might be right when it comes to individual stocks, but how many have had say Cisco, or IBM, or Yahoo, etc for a long time. I remember Plessey Radar (I attended one of their factory schools) company, the share price was about $2.00 back in about 1971, it went to 80 in a short number of years, I didn't have the money to buy into it. But that is the only way, but I think if and when it comes to investments in funds, can you make a profit in a short fast period of time before the next mini crash, (you call them declines). I call them crashes because they hurt, they are painful. Especially when most funds punish you on early withdrawals. Can you set for example a 10% stop loss, then make 20% right back in an effort just to break out even before the next decline, can you make back 30% just to get ahead a bit after taking that 10% loss?

Can you set a stop loss at say 15% and then recovery back 25% to break even or 30% to make a small profit. I challenge anyone to do so on a long term bases. Like I said, you might be right, so I mean no offense over this. I think a person who is looking for a retirement, the only way they will accumulate an amount of retired money sufficient enough to meet their goals is to consistently keep adding his savings to his funds in up and down market (averaging) and then over a long period of time they would have a retirement savings. But I again repeat, I challenge anyone to best the ups and downs even in mini (declining) markets. If you have done it, then bless you, you are one of the extremely exceptional ones.