• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FROM THE BLOODY ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AH! So you think if you bung the brakes on full at the start of the runway, wang the thrust up to max and wait till the engines pump 180 mph airstream over the entire length of both wings it'll simply lifr off? Matey, the engines can't pump that much air over the wings, even if they were in front of them - LOL.

The engines provide thrust to move the plane which luckily has wings attached. It is the movement through the air of the wings that generates the lift. Strewth.

Bloody 747 VTOL under Captain Skills. I really want to see you try that one.

WHO IS PUTTING BRAKES ON ANYWHERE YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER MUPPET. Stop skirting the issue at hand, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Fifty2Aces has just confirmed also, you are outgunned, outmatched and outwitted mate.

Brakes add friction, which counteract the forward motion. A CONVEYOR BELT DOES NOT. YOU ARE A FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

ok, so how does a seaplane take off without it's driving wheels, does it have little paddles driven by the engines or something?? :confused:

pmsl this is definitely gonna send skill over the edge maybe Bramble can answer ?? Could be here til fx markets open ............

What is it about this that you don't understand?
I don't understand how I can ask (multiple times) if my reasoning that the relative ground speed is 0 mph can go so magnificently unanswered.

If my rationale is wrong in that department then my reasoning which follows from that on airspeed also potentially falters and I'll be prepared, subject to a sensible refutation of that rationale, to review my thinking.

For the disbeliever(s):

If it was somehow possible to make the wheels spin backwards while the plane was flying, would it fall out of the sky?

Small brakes would not stop it from taking off. Dirty great big ones, ones like you described, would. But that is a completely different kettle of fish! A conveyor belt moving opposite to motion is not a 'brake' of any kind, because it does not impart direct force on the plane, it's frictional force is translated into rotational movement of the plane's wheels, ABOUT THEIR AXES - NET MOTION DUE TO THIS IN EITHER DIRECTION ZERO!!!!!

YOu cannot understand this, because you lack the brainpower. end of story.

You nailed the lid on your own coffin in that post above, I owned you, and now you want to talk about brakes, which is like saying 'ooh but what if the engines on the plane were busted, HA then it couldn't take off could it?'

Idiot.

I don't understand how I can ask (multiple times) if my reasoning that the relative ground speed is 0 mph can go so magnificently unanswered.

If my rationale is wrong in that department then my reasoning which follows from that on airspeed also potentially falters and I'll be prepared, subject to a sensible refutation of that rationale, to review my thinking.

The point is that if the wheels can spin freely while the relative ground speed is 0, they can also spin freely (though slightly faster) while the plane is moving relative to ground.

And we have answered (multiple times) and it's not going into your thick ruddy head:

GROUNDSPEED DOES NOT MAKE A PLANE FLY.

For the disbeliever(s):

If it was somehow possible to make the wheels spin backwards while the plane was flying, would it fall out of the sky?

again Bramble, do you see how people keep saying things on similar lines to me? What do you think that means? A consensus against your opinion...hmm...could it be...no...are you wrong?

who gives flying f***k about trading thi is far more fun. got any more teasers skill ??

While the engines are off, the plane has a relative groundspeed of 0. When the engines are turned on, they pull the plane through the air, giving it a +ve velocity relative to both the air and the ground.

Last edited:
you are not understanding the fact that while the belt is spinning away, the plane is sitting still, because the movement of the belt is translated into rotational speed of the plane's wheels, NOT movement of the plane itself.

The net force on the plane is zero AT ALL TIMES, unless the engine is switched on. Then, it takes off.

And we have answered (multiple times) and it's not going into your thick ruddy head:

GROUNDSPEED DOES NOT MAKE A PLANE FLY.
Matey, read what I posted again. I am using the relationship of groundspeed and airspeed as a pivotal point of my rationale.

What is the relative groundspeed of the plane at any time with its engine on, off or that inbetween bit? Given the setup as you describe with conveyor speed PERFECTLY MATCHED to the rotation of the wheels which just happen to be slung under the plane, what is the relative groundspeed of the plane for any given speed of the conveyor?

Thanks mate. Much appreciated if you could answer this one without resort to cars, brakes or anything else you've absent-mindedly skittered over to in previous attempts to answer what is after all a fairly simple question.