• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
15 minutes of silence from him... I think he's got it at last...thank fudge for that.

Incidentally my pet gerbil, who has been dead for 3 years, understood the problem 2 hours ago.

hey i will assume the engines are enough for the plane to fly.
Perhaps because old planes in the past require lots of forward movement to generate enough wind speed to lift off. Maybe that is why there is a misconception that forward movement is required for the air lift. I thought the plane would not take off initially. But after reading through, if the engines are enough for that force in modern times the plane definitely can fly.

Probably a plane does not need wheels at all. i guess the wheels are used for takeoff so the body does not get scratched on the ground while moving forward. The plane can be fixed on something that locks it while the engine is turned on then released once it can lift off. But wheels are used since they are required to land properly anyway. To serve these 2 purposes but actually to take off they are not really needed.

Not only were Maverick's wheels not spinning, the landing gear was inside the plane completely!! HOW ON EARTH IS IT STILL FLYING?

15 minutes of silence from him... I think he's got it at last...thank fudge for that.

Incidentally my pet gerbil, who has been dead for 3 years, understood the problem 2 hours ago.

news just coming in that thebramble has been airlifted to hospital for laughing so much at this thread and has split his sides, how did the aircraft escape the evil clutches of the conveyer belt I here you ask...

...easy, the emergency services used plan b and flew in the helicopter!

hey i will assume the engines are enough for the plane to fly.
Perhaps because old planes in the past require lots of forward movement to generate enough wind speed to lift off. Maybe that is why there is a misconception that forward movement is required for the air lift. I thought the plane would not take off initially. But after reading through, if the engines are enough for that force in modern times the plane definitely can fly.

Probably a plane does not need wheels at all. i guess the wheels are used for takeoff so the body does not get scratched on the ground while moving forward. The plane can be fixed on something that locks it while the engine is turned on then released once it can lift off. But wheels are used since they are required to land properly.

The oldest plane in the world would take off mate; forward motion is required for lift, that's not the misconception, the misconception is that the conveyor belt prevents the plane from moving forward.

I am NOT getting into this with a second person...

news just coming in that thebramble has been airlifted to hospital for laughing so much at this thread and has split his sides, how did the aircraft escape the evil clutches of the conveyer belt I here you ask...

You're doubtless implying that the whole thing was just a troll..

This one?

helicoptor-will-it-take-off.jpg

FWIW, I have read other members posting quite complimentary comments about Bramble, and am keen to sample some of his trading related views.

That was fun! Maybe TheBramble has gone to test it in his plane. What would happen if the plane was on rollers? Like those that you get in a car garage. The same?

That was fun! Maybe TheBramble has gone to test it in his plane. What would happen if the plane was on rollers? Like those that you get in a car garage. The same?

It was fun - hope bramble has a parachute on his test flight coz switching off the engines at 30000 dont guarantee they start again !!! Think skills passed out but he did well.

I am conceding defeat. Not in my view to which I still hold firm, but in my ability to translate my rationale for that view in a way that makes sense to my antagonists. Either you are all wilfully and deliberately resisting my attempts in a way that makes it look supremely natural (in which case, well done for an excellent collaborative subterfuge) or you are simply not able to grasp it. In either event, the fault is mine for failing to communicate myself effectively.

Just for the record: If you have a plane on a runway that has been engineered to operate in such a fashion that all forward motion produced by thrust from the engines is matched by a contra force from this special runway to maintain the plane’s position relative to any fixed marker upon the airfield, then the pane can never move forward or backward on that runway. If it can, then your premise of the mechanism matching the planes forward thrust does not hold. You must choose which you want to go for.

As posited in post #1, the plane has its wheels on a conveyor which will always match the motion of the wheels but in an opposing direction. So if the wheel rotation is 10mph North the runway movement will counter with a motion 10mph South. If that is accepted, the plane can never move from its starting point relative to any fixed reference marker.

Regardless of the thrust from the engines, they can never generate sufficient power to put sufficient airflow past the wings in and of themselves to generate the minimum aerodynamic lift required for take off.

Engines generate thrust which move the plane forward (if it is not constrained from doing so by artificial devices or mechanisms) so that lift is generated by resultant airflow. If the plane is not moving through the air, no lift can be generated.

Although there seem to be a majority against my view on the thread (apart from Mr. Charts who flies Galaxies in his spare time) the poll results currently show the (very silent) majority supporting my view. Regardless of how the poll ends up, I will be delighted to continue to be in the minority when it comes to matters of group behaviours and responses, perceived intelligence and 3rd party knowledge as that has tended to stand me in rather good stead, over the years, in the markets.

I’d rather be right and have everyone else think I’m wrong than follow Captain Skills and the rest of the crowd on to his extremely interesting VTOL 747.

If anyone else follows my reasoning and can come up with a more effective way of explaining it to those whom I have so miserably failed, please do take a shot at it.

Just for the record: If you have a plane on a runway that has been engineered to operate in such a fashion that all forward motion produced by thrust from the engines is matched by a contra force from this special runway to maintain the plane’s position relative to any fixed marker upon the airfield, then the pane can never move forward or backward on that runway.

Yes, if you exert a force on the plane that is equal and opposite to that of the thrust from the engines, then the plane will remain stationary wrt a fixed reference point. But that is not the case in the situation being described here.

As posited in post #1, the plane has its wheels on a conveyor which will always match the motion of the wheels but in an opposing direction. So if the wheel rotation is 10mph North the runway movement will counter with a motion 10mph South. If that is accepted, the plane can never move from its starting point relative to any fixed reference marker.

Incorrect. The wheels will never be able to move themselves w.r.t. a fixed reference frame - but by exerting an additional force on the axle from the same fixed reference frame, the wheels will move with respect to the fixed reference frame.

Regardless of the thrust from the engines, they can never generate sufficient power to put sufficient airflow past the wings in and of themselves to generate the minimum aerodynamic lift required for take off.

Inclined to agree, otherwise aerplanes would only be able to hover above the same point on the ground. Instead of moving the plane from one "patch" of air to another "patch" at our destination, we would be bringing the "destination patch of air" here.

Engines generate thrust which move the plane forward (if it is not constrained from doing so by artificial devices or mechanisms) so that lift is generated by resultant airflow. If the plane is not moving through the air, no lift can be generated.

And this is the case here. There is no force or condition that is preventing the plane from moving through the air.

Although there seem to be a majority against my view on the thread the poll results currently show the majority supporting my view.

Of course, this is wholly unrelated to the "correctness" of the answers given. The laws of physics govern whether the plane will take off, not the responses to the poll.

I’d rather be right and have everyone else think I’m wrong than follow Captain Skills and the rest of the crowd on to his extremely interesting VTOL 747.

I think you would rather think you are right than view the problem from the correct perspective. In this case, Bramble, you are wrong. The plane will take off.

If anyone else follows my reasoning and can come up with a more effective way of explaining it to those whom I have so miserably failed, please do take a shot at it.

On the contrary, it is infact US that have failed.

One last go, a thought experiment for you:

Could you do it with a toy aeroplane on an actual treadmill?

You could exert no force on the Model aeroplane and witness the behaviour of it remaining stationary with respect to the room you are conducting the experiment in (you would need to put a finger behind it, in order to overcome the forces of friction - but, compared to the scale of the forces we are considering, these are negligible).

Note: I am using a plane and a treadmill here, but the principal is better understood my imagining a marble on a piece of paper - you can pull the paper from underneath the marble and watch it stay in a fixed position with respect to, say, the table.

Now, given that you have a toy aeroplane on the treadmill, could you not push it forward with your finger? Yes, of course you could. Would the plane move wrt the room? Yes, of course it would.

Now, if you increase the speed at which the conveyor belt of the treadmill is moving, do you need to push the plane any harder to make it move the same distance with respect to the room? No, you do not. It doesn't matter whether the treadmill is going at 10mph or 100mph, the same amount of force is required to mobe the plane with respect to the room.

This is the situation we have here, except we are replacing the source of the external force on the plane with jet engines attached to it, rather than a little poke along with One's finger.

YES but NO

I agree that if you put a plane on a conveyor belt runway, more or less as described in post one, you could put down the engine throttle and take off as normal. However i do have one exception in the wording of the question/riddle, which is where i would agree with Bramble.
The speed of the belt CANNOT match that of the wheels of the plane if it is to take off.

As MrG described with the model plane you could very easily hold the model plane in position with a very small force (equal friction) on the threadmill. Say the treadmill is going at 10mph. Then the wheels of the plane are going at 10mph. You turn the engine of the plane on and accelerate to get the plane up to its take off speed of say 50mph. Then the wheel speed before take off is 60mph. For the plane to take off there HAS to be a relative change in the speed of the planes wheels versus treadmill/conveyor belt etc.

The plane engines are producing sufficient thrust the propel the plane at 50mph. The treadmill is just spinning the wheels at 10mph with out any effect on the plane (outside of the small friction force).

My 2pence.[/B][/B]

Shane

Imagine a 747 sitting on a very large conveyor belt. The belt has the same dimensions as a runway at an airport*, and is set up to exactly match the speed of the plane's wheels, moving in the opposite direction. What will happen?

holy moly!!
I got this one wrong, as I made the same false assumption as TheBramble, about the wheels turning.
Welcome back, Tony, by the way. Glad you have returned. :clap:

But, once the "wheel problem" sunk in, I understand now that the plane will in fact, take off.

I hope I am not creating greater confusion, but it reminded me of when my car had to have its MOT, and they do a emissions test, and they run the car at xx mph on rollers. 50mph, and not moving an inch.

This got me thinking about ice.
If you have a car, which generates movement from the drive-shaft, it can only move by friction "against" the ground. Thus, the force of the drive-wheels is exactly compensated by the conveyor/ice reacting perfectly against it. It doesnt move.

But, if you sit on top of the car, wheels moving, and throw a 1kg weight, the car will move because this extra force is not related to the drive wheels.
Now, think of this thrown weight as engine thrust.

Similarly, if you think of the aircraft sitting on perfectly frictionless ice, with wheels.
Its the force of the engines that generates the forward motion.
Think of the ice as being the conveyor.
Actually, because its perfectly firctionless, the wheels will not even move because they dont need to.
The aircraft still takes off.

Its the wheels.
Once you understand they do not provide the motive force, the penny dropped for me.

EDIT: normally would have dived right into this one, but today I got myself a life, and was out bowling with my little nephew and niece. They both (aged 4 and 7) beat me!!

EDIT2: Tony, imaging you had to make a take-off on ice. The wheels are frozen solid. Its the engines that provide forward force. You WILL take off.

trendie - you of all people.

OK try this one (trendie, nobody else. I know trendie has a licence to drive unspecified boxes)

You have a box that has an indeterminate association with a platform on which it rests through an indeterminate relationship.

There is no friction, gravity or other factors involved.

You are told that regardless of any force applied to box or platform on which it rests, the mechanism will ensure any resultant force vector in one is cancelled by the other.

Will the box EVER move from its initial position on the platform?

trendie - you of all people.

OK try this one (trendie, nobody else. I know trendie has a licence to drive unspecified boxes)

You have a box that has an indeterminate association with a platform on which it rests through an indeterminate relationship.

There is no friction, gravity or other factors involved.

You are told that regardless of any force applied to box or platform on which it rests, the mechanism will ensure any resultant force vector in one is cancelled by the other.

Will the box EVER move from its initial position on the platform?

first things, first.

ice.
wheels frozen (proxy for frictionless surface, or conveyor belt).
flaps down.
control tower gives you the go-ahead.
switch on the turbofans, with full re-heat.

with the wheels NOT MOVING AT ALL, do you get to take off or not?

I'm glad my explaination helped nobody, it seemed the simplest to me, but others have put it better.

Glad we can all be friends again :D

Now look guys, I am extremely ignorant about such things and wouldn't presume to think others are wrong when many are clearly far ahead of me in their understanding.
However, the rationale for my answer is as follows - in my own simple (and maybe overly simplistic and therefore distorted) terms:

The question postulated, "The belt has the same dimensions as a runway at an airport*, and is set up to exactly match the speed of the plane's wheels, moving in the opposite direction. What will happen?

I thought it would remain stationary because for it to take off the wheels would have to move faster than the conveyor belt, thus nullifying the premise of the question that the wheels and the conveyor belt were moving at the same speed in opposite directions.
I assume that in the videos the wheels must have been spinning faster than the conveyor belt for the plane to take off. The only time the wheels would have been spinning at the same speed as the belt is when the thrust equalled the small resistance from the friction of the wheel axles.
But hey, what did (do) I know about such things.
Richard