Simple way to determine what stocks are "thinly traded"

fatowl

33 0
I have been backtesting and optimizing trading systems in Amibroker for 4 years now. One system is trading live and is profitable. One thing that I have always needed, but could never get easily, was information on how active a stock was over time. My trading system needs strong volume to trade otherwise I get big slippage.

Dollar-volume is a good metric to determine liquidity in a stock, but is a value of $10M traded during the day a high number or low number? Stocks like XOM have dollar-volumes near $1.3B! Clearly that's a very liquid stock. But what about in history? Back in 1965, XOM had a dollar-volume of only $1.3M (1000x less than today).

Well obviously, inflation and increased trading activity have pushed the dollar-volume up across the whole stock market from 1965 to 2013, but how am I to know what stocks are liquid or illiquid over time? Here is what I did:

I found a time series of the monthly dollar-volume of all stocks listed on the NYSE dating back to 1964:

NYSEData.com Factbook: NYSE Group Share and Dollar Volume in NYSE Listed

NYSEData.com Factbook: NYSE reported share and dollar volume

Using this as a rough guide for how much trading activity goes on over the course of history, I can determine what stocks are liquid or illiquid. The symbol I gave this series is #NYSEDV (NYSE Dollar-Volume). Any stock with a dollar-volume above:

#NYSEDV/100,000

was deemed "liquid". All others were deemed "illiquid". Today, #NYSEDV/100,000 is about equal to $7.8M. I'm working on creating another time series of the number of listed stocks per month on the NYSE. This way, I can just divide #NYSEDV by the number of stocks in each month to get an average monthly dollar-volume per stock.

Anyway, I was excited that I found this and thought you guys could benefit from it.

M

member275544

0 0
Anyway, I was excited that I found this and thought you guys could benefit from it.

Thanks Fatowl, I always thought every charting package had the ability to chart volume, and a signal line to determine whether volume on any particular day was high or low..I've clearly been spoiled all these years

ZaBu

50 17
I think I must be missing something here. There are various volume options that can be used in Amibroker's basic chart functions.

Here's a screen grab with volume and a volume moving average.

Attachments

• Amibroker volume.png
    Amibroker volume.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 597

fatowl

33 0
Thanks Fatowl, I always thought every charting package had the ability to chart volume,

Amibroker can plot volume just like ZaBu showed. I had to create my own separate "symbol" within Amibroker named #NYSEDV, which has the total monthly dollar-volume of stocks on the NYSE as the closing value within Amibroker.

Vicorka

246 7
I would not try to compare current [dollar x volume] to the [dollar x volume] in 1964. It could be interesting for general, but in reality when you evaluate liquidity you work with current numbers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock