Simple Charting Package that can read from SQL DB

TWI

A friend is asking if I know of a package that can easily read data from SQL database.
If anybody can offer advice I would appreciate it
Thanks

I think you might find that the 'easily' part of the requirement will be hard to meet, it is almost certainly going to need some programming skill.

One option is to use Excel, this would allow you to access the SQL data directly. However even the most skilled Excel developer is unlikely to come up with a user interface and features anything like even the most basic off-the-shelf charting package.

I have never seen a trader's charting package that would access an SQL database directly, you'd have to extract the data from the database and import it into the package's own data store, usually in two manual and very tedious steps.

However with AmiBroker you could do this in a single step using its OLE automation interface. This would allow you to write a script (VBScript or JScript) to do the import and export, and integrate it into the package's menus to make it a one-click process. AmiBroker comes with some sample scripts which show you how to import data, and these could be easily adapted to read from an SQL database. Before IB introduced intraday backfill I did something similar, getting the backfill data from the SCMagic service into a CSV file data source and updating the charts from within the package.

If your friend wants to try the AmiBroker route I'd be happy to help, but unfortunately he would need to buy the package first as the free trial version only lets you work with the supplied sample data, which cannot be updated.

KenN

Thanks KenN. I do not want to involve a broker in this however it is just to view the SQL data which is for some OTC products. A bit of coding is not a problem but I have only used TS, CQG and esignal in the past and as far as I know none of these can read SQL although maybe TS2000 can do it with the appropriate software. Still looking for answers.

twalker said:
Thanks KenN. I do not want to involve a broker in this however it is just to view the SQL data which is for some OTC products. A bit of coding is not a problem but I have only used TS, CQG and esignal in the past and as far as I know none of these can read SQL although maybe TS2000 can do it with the appropriate software. Still looking for answers.

twalker

If its just a one off, you could use access or a similar tool to extract the data into CSV files, then load these into your charting tool of choice ?

Stew

SQLyog

theknifemac said:
twalker

If its just a one off, you could use access or a similar tool to extract the data into CSV files, then load these into your charting tool of choice ?

Stew

twalker,

Further to Stew's note might SQLyog be of any use? See http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/sqlyog_migration_toolkit.html

A 3-step approach might work:-
1. Use SQLyog to import the SQL source data into MySQL.
2. Use SQLyog to slice and dice the data as required and export into CSV format.
3. Import the CSV files into a charting tool as Stew suggests.

The downside is the steep learning curve to get SQLyog and MySQL working.

Best of luck!

Francis (FranP)

AmiBroker isn't a broker, it's a stand-alone charting package, with a large feature set for the cost of $149. With some programming effort it will be possible to get it to do what you want, and I think you are unlikely to find anything else to do the job for less.

http://www.amibroker.com

Apart from Excel of course, if you already have that :) If it's just for occassional use then why not look at this route, presumably you could live with a clunky user interface for that? It's not difficult to get at SQL data from Excel, but not trivial either; so you could consider a leg up to help you get the data more easily with something like this:

http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/index.htm

Good luck

KenN