SII Certs

soosta

Out of all the units, which ones would be most suitable for a uni student who has not yet decided which area of trading he would like to get into. I am going to do the exam/s before I start job hunting to show a level of commitment to the industry.

Unit 1 - Financial Regulation
Unit 2 - Securities
Unit 3 - Derivatives
Unit 4 - Securities and Financial Derivatives
Unit 5 - Financial Derivatives Upgrade
Unit 6 - Corporate Finance Paper

I was thinking the first three, although the fourth does look interesting/useful. Does anyone have any experience/tips? How long would it take to complete. Could I do it in one summer (3/4 months?)

Opinions?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Unit 1 is compulsory.

I would recommend Unit 1 and Unit 4.

You can easily do them both in 3/4 months.

You MUST pass BOTH units. (If I remember correctly, you have to get over 70% in each paper to pass. It might even be slightly hogher than 70% - )

You cannot be FSA regitered without Unit1.

Airthrey Capital said:
Unit 1 is compulsory.

I would recommend Unit 1 and Unit 4.

You can easily do them both in 3/4 months.

You MUST pass BOTH units. (If I remember correctly, you have to get over 70% in each paper to pass. It might even be slightly hogher than 70% - )

You cannot be FSA regitered without Unit1.

I agree, units 1 and 4. Spend a couple of weeks going through unit 1, then sit the exam (basically a memory test of regulations), then start studying unit 4, and learn about all the basic options/ futures, etc positions and markets applicable to the UK... If you really need/ want to push ypurself you could do it all in 4 - 6 weeks, but if you have no prior knowledge it may take longer... remember one at a time!!!

I do assume we are talking about the Securities Institute Certificate ?

i've done the Securities Instititue Certificate in Securities and Derivatives, but have never heard of the financial derivatives upgrade unless this is in reference to someone who has completed the Securities Cert and wants to convert it.

If we are talking about the SIC then it really depends on how much time you can put into it. If your not working and are studying for it all day then i've known people who have done the Reg & securities module in a week.

In addittion, has anyone done the Securities Institute Diploma ? Is it worth it?

Got Derivatives Need Securities

Hi there,

A quick request, does anyone have their study materials for the securities certificate, I have my derivatives unit, but have been trying to find a way to keep costs down on the study material; what with student loans and overdrafts etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
dave

No , regular financial institutions will not see the SII exams as " commitment " to the industry .

Stockjunkie said:
No , regular financial institutions will not see the SII exams as " commitment " to the industry .

Why's that?!

...Anyone else care to comment? I don't see how it wouldn't! :confused:

Security unit 2

i'm looking for someone to study with from May/June for SII unit 2 security-I have all the materials, it would make easier to study with someone else,Ideally 1/2 days a weeks.
Currently i'm doing unit 1 i will take the exam in the next few weeks.

Claudio

Hi all,

I am working in back office at the moment but wanna do the SII cert first. As per the descriptions on the bpp's website, I have to be registered by FSA within 12 months once finishing my two-level exams. Please does anybody know if back office guys can be reported by the company for FSA approved people as well??

Many thanks

As a rule of thumb, if your company doesn't specify/request that you do the exams then they will not sponser you for approved person staus. The reason being is that it costs a firm an application fee and an annual renewel fee per approved person.

I would recomment Unit 1 + Unit 2 and Unit 3.
Then you will have the option to work as trader in all fields in UK but also have an advantage over the applicants that have done just one. The company might not need to train you

Does having passed the unit 1 of the IMC gain exemption from the unit 1 of the SII certificates? Should I do the retail bit now to keep my options open?

No man, either do IMC or SII or both. dont try to combine exams.

From personal experience

Okay does anyone know though? I actaully phoned the other day but the guy seemed to think I had lost my marbles, yet the syllabus for both sounds broadly the same!

send an email here to make sure:
[email protected]

I said is probably you will not get exempt..... (99%)
This email will help you get the answer you need

Here be the email...

Dear sirs,
I have passed the CFA organisations IMC exam. I was thinking of enrolling for the certificate in securities and financial derivatives. Could you tell me if the IMC gives me exemption from unit 1 ( the regulatory unit) of the aforementioned SII certificate?
Thanks
Andrew

The reply....

Thank you for your enquiry.

To [email protected]
cc
Subject Exemption from Sii cert on securities and financial derivatives

Thank you for your enquiry.
Yes it does!

I attach the appropriate exemption form. Please note the requirements on the form and that exemption costs £50.

Kind regards
Andrew Hall
Head of Educational Development