Significant days for the FTSE?

tomorton

Guest Author
I've been looking recently at whether the FTSE100 moves more (more often or more actively) on certain days of the week. I don't think I've found the differences are significant enough to be the basis of a trading strategy on their own but there are some interesting differences between the 5 weekdays and also between my figures and received wisdom from the trading community.

I have looked at the FTSE100 daily moves from the previous night's close between 13/03/03 and 05/05/06 (inclusive). I have regarded this as a single trend of the market (arguable) with the logic that (a) recent behaviour is a better clue to future behaviour than less recent behaviour, (b) it is possible the weekdays have a different significance in a bear market such as 30/12/99 to 12/03/03 and (c) I needed a large group of data for statistical validity. I ignored daily moves of less than 0.1%.

In a steadily rising market you would expect there to be more rising days than falling days and there were, but only 56% gave rises. From this you might expect each weekday to also give a rise about 56% of the time. Actually, Fridays were best with 60%, then Mondays with 59%. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays gave 52, 54 and 55% respectively.

These aren't enormous differences, though the conclusion that Fridays outperform Tuesdays by +15% is interesting.

But the Monday and Friday outperformances may also be interesting. I have read, though most of the stuff on the subject is US, that Mondays are often falling market days, as most bad news tends to emerge over the weekends. The weekend closed period is longer than overnight mid-week closed periods, so there is more opportunity for bad news to emerge, plus the weekend broadsheets are influential and often the place where such news comes to light.

I have also read that Fridays are a falling day as people close their longs, sell shares etc. after a rising week (and I assume that in a bull market such as this one that most weeks end higher than lower) in order to bank profits and avoid the weekend risk.

Maybe the market wisdom is just wrong?

But these two days are the best performers compared to the others. And does the fact that they are both good performers suggest they are linked in strategies used in the market? Are big players really buying Friday and Monday with a time objective of taking profits on Tuesday?

Of course, this is just simplistic fun stuff, but what I might do next is introduce volume into the equation, and see which days deliver the biggest moves.

Glad of any comments.

Tomorton,

You are quite correct in your observation of the FTSE daily.

I've only pegged the FTSE daily from Jan 2005, for days.

2005:

MON - TUE - WED - THU - FRI
27/17 - 28/23 - 26/27 -31/23 -31/15

2006:

9/6 ---- 3/15---12/6---11/7---13/4

As we can see, this year follows the previous year in regards to Mondays and Fridays favouring up days, but note that so far Wednesdays are seeing a reversal to the trend. I have no explanation for this.

I wouldn't bet / invest solely on this data, but I do use it as a historical tool which has helped me many times over.

Yours

UK

ukhero said:
Tomorton,

You are quite correct in your observation of the FTSE daily.

I've only pegged the FTSE daily from Jan 2005, for days.

2005:

27/17 - 28/23 - 26/27 -31/23 -31/15

2006:

9/6 ---- 3/15---12/6---11/7---13/4

As we can see, this year follows the previous year in regards to Mondays and Fridays favouring up days, but note that so far Wednesdays are seeing a reversal to the trend. I have no explanation for this.

I wouldn't bet / invest solely on this data, but I do use it as a historical tool which has helped me many times over.

Yours

UK

you mean Tuesdays, right?

tomorton said:
I've been looking recently at whether the FTSE100 moves more (more often or more actively) on certain days of the week.
Excellent idea, but are you including statistical validity in your comparisons? If you don't know your standard errors or confidence levels etc., how do you know what apparent difference is meaningful and what is just meaningless / noise / to be expected? Maybe you're already doing that. If not, I'd look into it before trusting any result. I'm not a statistician so I don't know what to suggest I'm afraid. Maybe someone can suggest what to look for.

Chocolate said:
you mean Tuesdays, right?

No. Tuesdays have a greater significance towards down days from a 'close to evens,' but still follows the trend, whereas Wednesdays has increased dramatically to greatly favour up days.

UK

hi blackcab

Yes, that is a definite problem. I cannot vouch for the statistical validity of the data, only for the correctness of the prices from FTSE. But I'm only looking for rules of thumb here anyway and these will always be gross generalisations - I will be happy if I can develop a rule which is more than 50% accurate - something like never open a new long on a Monday.

I accept that I could have inadvertently massaged the books - in portfolio / position mangement daily moves of +0.1 % or -0.1% make no difference so I have ignored everything within that band. But in some areas of TA, such as candlestick studies, a day with no price change tells you quite a lot about the market. And if an index moves up as little as 0.1% every day for a year that would be significant.

This is just fun stuff but I just don't think you can know too much about the behaviour of your own market.

tomorton said:
hi blackcab

Yes, that is a definite problem. I cannot vouch for the statistical validity of the data, only for the correctness of the prices from FTSE. But I'm only looking for rules of thumb here anyway and these will always be gross generalisations - I will be happy if I can develop a rule which is more than 50% accurate - something like never open a new long on a Monday.

I accept that I could have inadvertently massaged the books - in portfolio / position mangement daily moves of +0.1 % or -0.1% make no difference so I have ignored everything within that band. But in some areas of TA, such as candlestick studies, a day with no price change tells you quite a lot about the market. And if an index moves up as little as 0.1% every day for a year that would be significant.

This is just fun stuff but I just don't think you can know too much about the behaviour of your own market.

Hi,

For most intraday traders its the days range thats important. I monitor the range for the Futures markets (FTSE,DAX,SX5E,DOW,SMI) and keep moving averages, but don't look at averages for each day, have you done any such work ?

rgds

hi apples10

I hadn't even thought of looking at ranges, but then again I don't do any intraday stuff. Do you not end up with something simlar to a Bollinger pattern?

tomorton said:
hi apples10

I hadn't even thought of looking at ranges, but then again I don't do any intraday stuff. Do you not end up with something simlar to a Bollinger pattern?

I only look at the moving average of the intradays (10week), not the sd from that. I use it to keep an eye on market activity as much as anything, also keep eye on vol indices for the same reason.

rgds