Short Term traders - advice please

Im not too clear on what the data mining function in Sharescope actually consists of but I believe it searches on the basis of chart patterns and fundamental type criteria eg PEG, P/E etc. ProRealTime searches by chart patterns and/or technical criteria eg MA cross, RSI overbought / oversold etc. because of this they are not really the same animal, which is why If I were to take time to do an example of pro rt I wanted peeps to give an idea of what they would like as an example rather than do one and the effort not being of any use to anyone. Im perfectly happy to write some code up if I have a framework of interest to go on.

Lightning

With Sharescape Gold, I set up a function to scan all prices and look for ones where the 20 day MA crossed over the 90 day MA.

Personally, what I would like is something that detects/calculates/draws early trendlines in currency pairs and updates every 3 minutes. Is that possible?

With Sharescape Gold, I set up a function to scan all prices and look for ones where the 20 day MA crossed over the 90 day MA.

Personally, what I would like is something that detects/calculates/draws early trendlines in currency pairs and updates every 3 minutes. Is that possible?

Hi ninj

Have you seen the size of the code in tradestation to draw auto trend lines:eek: sorry mate, not even going to attempt that with probuilder, I don't know if its possible to be honest, how about something a little simpler & on daily charts, I'm not a pro:(

How about an ma cross with overbought/sold oscillator and if I can manage it, adx for avoiding chop. I'll post up some screenshots of how its goes together, if I get it all going ok in the first place obviously:LOL:

Lightning

Oh, ok, didn't know. I have no idea where to start. I could probably make it repeatedly print "Hello" down the screen, though. (I think you can see the level of my programming ability... and, yes, it would use "goto" just to rile the professional programmers. :cheesy: )

Oh, ok, didn't know. I have no idea where to start. I could probably make it repeatedly print "Hello" down the screen, though. (I think you can see the level of my programming ability... and, yes, it would use "goto" just to rile the professional programmers. :cheesy: )

Heres a small snippet of the TS code, no I don't understand any of it either.

RLDate[0] = Date[RLStren];
RLTime[0] = Time[RLStren];
RLVal[0] = Low[RLStren];

For Value22 = 1 To 10 Begin
If RLVal[Value22] < RLVal[0] Then Begin
RLArrayVal = Value22;
Value22 = 11;
End;

Anyway, for the benefit of the thread starter and others that may be interested I thought it may be a good idea to run the scan, select a stock and put a demo trade on, a sort of simple trading template if you like for the fresh noobs who dont know what to do yet, not telling them how to trade, more a demonstration of some of the free resources mentioned in this thread. i'll try and get the scan written for a start next week.

Lightning

QuoteTracker has an "auto trendline" indicator with adjustable parameters, fwiw.

Here's a nice simple ProScreener based on the TRIX indicator its all smooth looking and uncluttered. whether it works going forward is another matter and will be interesting to see what happens.

Im assuming here that whoever reads this post is reasonably ok at navigating themselves around ProRealTime.

Open a ProScreener window, select "set ProScreener" then select "new ProScreener" make sure the tab creation by programming is selected

TRIX Buy (copy this to the "ProScreener name" box)

(copy & paste the following to the programming window)

indicator1 = TRIX[9](close)
indicator2 = Average[3](trix[9](close))
c1 = (indicator1 CROSSES OVER indicator2)

SCREENER[c1] (Variation AS "%VAR")

Once pasted in the box (shift + insert), on the right set the predefined list to Ftse 350, select the period as daily, hit the Validate program button at the bottom, hopefully if all is well you will see a choice of stocks, we'll come back to those later, hit the "set proscreener" again, do the same for the following.

TRIX Sell (copy this to the "ProScreener name" box)

(copy & paste the following to the programming window)

indicator1 = TRIX[9](close)
indicator2 = Average[3](trix[9](close))
c1 = (indicator1 CROSSES UNDER indicator2)

SCREENER[c1] (Variation AS "%VAR")

Once you have this copied in and validated you should now have TRIX buy and TRIX sell in the proscreener drop down menu.

Next open a chart from the proscreener by clicking on the chart symbol next to the stock name. Add A 55 period simple moving average, add the TRIX indicator setting the TRIX at 9 and the signal to 3. save the settings in the prorealtime main panels drop down menu or use Ctrl + s

If you have a scroller mouse simply scroll down the screener list looking for the best candidates to trade from the chart, I've chosen Rank RNK, Spirent SPT & Invensys ISYS to watch Monday for potential shorts on a demo account or for more interesting learning, find a trading game that offers prizes, anyone know of any good ones that are free to enter? IC have stopped theirs.

With a bit of reading up and practice its not difficult to write up your own screener searches from observations from the chart or searches of the net, eg this particular one was influenced by this strategy http://www.incrediblecharts.com/technical/trix_indicator.htm

I do hope that helps with stock searching with ProRealTime, its free for end of day data use , so play around with it, a great learning experience awaits those who have a go.

Lightning

Attachments

• RANK GRP..png
    RANK GRP..png
    14.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Thanks. Will give it a try.

It complains that SCREENER is a keyword.

Last edited: