searching for holy-grail.. is this theory true?

No, of course I can't disagree with that NT and I agree with you 100%. But, this started when you came into the discussion advising people in strident terms not to think in terms of buyers/sellers. Prior to that point the term was being used to describe the = nature of a transaction, not the physical number of people buying and selling.

It is often used in that way and you might be amused to know that I made points similar to yours to toastie when he was using the term in some other thread. That was with some tongue in cheek because he knew what he was saying and so did I.

I have read through and I don't get the impression that the terms buyers and sellers is interchangeable with supply and demand. But, I am not going to argue anymore on that point.:)

I do find it strange that some people think futures contracts are infinite. Technically speaking, yes. But what limits them in reality is the margin accounts people use to trade them. Once your margin is wiped out, no more contracts for you my friend! Then there is the 'pain' threshold of traders who get whipsawed out of the game. The markets are very nasty :D

I have read through and I don't get the impression that the terms buyers and sellers is interchangeable with supply and demand. But, I am not going to argue anymore on that point.:)

I do find it strange that some people think futures contracts are infinite. Technically speaking, yes. But what limits them in reality is the margin accounts people use to trade them. Once your margin is wiped out, no more contracts for you my friend! Then there is the 'pain' threshold of traders who get whipsawed out of the game. The markets are very nasty :D

Well, the funny thing about supply and demand is that it comes in many different guises - one of which is associated finite supply. And I doubt that traders actually move markets very much. That's down to money flow and if Joe public is pouring money into funds, both directly and through pension provision, then that creates demand since the fund managers must buy even if they think it's the worst idea in the world. Vice versa for supply, of course.

Whatever the futures may do they must, ultimately, reflect what is happening to the main index and the "real" buying and selling of stocks and shares.

No idea about FOREX though - I've never got involved .

i suppose the 'holy grail' is finding out why price moves in the way it does therefore enabling you to 'front run' and make a profit entering and exiting your position.

The Toast is correct in his 'consumption of liquidity' postings and is light years ahead of most people on this thread HOWEVER this is still really the what and not the why, he knows that I suspect and you need to find out the 'why' to unlock the markets.

The arguments about futures being infinite are a bit of a side show here, as Toast has said all you need to magic up a futures transaction is any 2 people on both sides of the trade. Think about it I could have £10k in my account and another punter could have £10k, we could buy and sell to each other all day long, millions of contracts, does this mean the underlying is more scarce/plentiful, of course not, hence the supply/demand of contracts notion isn't helpful.

Supply and demand is not a great term to use for finding the why as it is really the amount of contracts people are willing to step up and buy or sell at any given price/time. If price is currently 7 and there are ton of people who are willing to buy it if it drops to 6 we could say there is a 'supply' of people who are willing to step up and buy at 6 BUT not a good idea to start thinking that there is supply of contracts or underlying, see the difference.

Now onto the point where Toast locked horns with others about fundamentals of supply and demand. The Toast is talking on a micro level so is strictly correct however lets take the current oil price as an example. News of an imminent scuffle in the middle east will cause people to 'believe' that oil prices will rise. Less people in the market will be willing to offer in the market than bid with the market believing price could/should/will rise. Once people step up and buy there will be less liquidity above to consume and therefore price will rise. So the perception of fundamental aspects and participants actions move price.

Toast is right about the short term speculators governing price in the short term however when a perceived big piece of data arrives this trumps everything. In short you need to know what is the driver at any moment.

So now onto the 'why', that's what you need to know. Here is some stuff to chew on.

Q.When do you want to buy or sell? Think about this, 99% of people cant answer.

I can tell you I want to buy when people are willing to buy at higher prices than I paid AND are less people are willing to sell above me.

It's also helpful to think about the people who can move the market you are trading, the people who trade size. If size trades you can compare what happens to what should happen.

:smart:

Barjon I don't think you should defend yourself against endless digs predicated on semantics as this is going on and on. Any such argument is almost always vacuous and boring. Just ignore it. Personally, I did not think you meant the equilibrium between buyers and sellers in terms of literal individuals when I read your original post.

This thread is resembling something from Elite Trader, which is a terrible thing.

I'm half expecting Mav to come along and explain that when he ran his own prop firm things were different....

.............I can tell you I want to buy when people are willing to buy at higher prices than I paid AND are less people are willing to sell above me..............

Nice post altogether, Cable.

I've isolated the above since it's the ideal double whammy.:)

Well, the funny thing about supply and demand is that it comes in many different guises - one of which is associated finite supply. And I doubt that traders actually move markets very much. That's down to money flow and if Joe public is pouring money into funds, both directly and through pension provision, then that creates demand since the fund managers must buy even if they think it's the worst idea in the world. Vice versa for supply, of course.

Whatever the futures may do they must, ultimately, reflect what is happening to the main index and the "real" buying and selling of stocks and shares.

No idea about FOREX though - I've never got involved .

If the original topic is running out of steam, perhaps we could move onto the relationship between an index and its corresponding future?

I can tell you I want to buy when people are willing to buy at higher prices than I paid AND are less people are willing to sell above me.
So for one to buy, one would need to know that others will buy after one has bought (there or there about due to timing).....then it comes back to oneself why one is buying NOW?.....WHY?

i suppose the 'holy grail' is finding out why price moves in the way it does therefore enabling you to 'front run' and make a profit entering and exiting your position.

The Toast is correct in his 'consumption of liquidity' postings and is light years ahead of most people on this thread HOWEVER this is still really the what and not the why, he knows that I suspect and you need to find out the 'why' to unlock the markets.

The arguments about futures being infinite are a bit of a side show here, as Toast has said all you need to magic up a futures transaction is any 2 people on both sides of the trade. Think about it I could have £10k in my account and another punter could have £10k, we could buy and sell to each other all day long, millions of contracts, does this mean the underlying is more scarce/plentiful, of course not, hence the supply/demand of contracts notion isn't helpful.

Supply and demand is not a great term to use for finding the why as it is really the amount of contracts people are willing to step up and buy or sell at any given price/time. If price is currently 7 and there are ton of people who are willing to buy it if it drops to 6 we could say there is a 'supply' of people who are willing to step up and buy at 6 BUT not a good idea to start thinking that there is supply of contracts or underlying, see the difference.

Now onto the point where Toast locked horns with others about fundamentals of supply and demand. The Toast is talking on a micro level so is strictly correct however lets take the current oil price as an example. News of an imminent scuffle in the middle east will cause people to 'believe' that oil prices will rise. Less people in the market will be willing to offer in the market than bid with the market believing price could/should/will rise. Once people step up and buy there will be less liquidity above to consume and therefore price will rise. So the perception of fundamental aspects and participants actions move price.

Toast is right about the short term speculators governing price in the short term however when a perceived big piece of data arrives this trumps everything. In short you need to know what is the driver at any moment.

So now onto the 'why', that's what you need to know. Here is some stuff to chew on.

It's also helpful to think about the people who can move the market you are trading, the people who trade size. If size trades you can compare what happens to what should happen.

I have observed that some posters think of supply and demand as a fixed number of things sitting in a giant warehouse somewhere that become abundant or scarce. It goes beyond that.

Part of supply and demand is about future expectations of participants. Do you realise this or has it been completely ignored? Talking about liquidity consumption or speculation and then suggesting it has nothing to do with supply and demand is dishonest. You're kidding yourself. How can you consume something if there is no supply? Why would anyone buy anything if there is no demand? It's paradoxical gibberish.

I can see why a vendor might want to reinvent the wheel, but I can't see why a normal person would.

As for the arguments about infinite contracts it shows a lack of thought. Of course you can't have an infinite number of contracts, and it's obvious why if you live in the real finite world and understand what infinite means. Yet if you believe some posters there can be infinite contracts. Of course the fact that there never have been infinite contracts traded in the whole of history and never will be for obvious reasons - doesn't deter them. You may as well believe in pixies and fairies and magic. Yeah "magic up a futures transaction", you couldn't have said it better cablemonster. Magic is what's required to make sense of this infinite contracts available nonsense. Think it through.

So you're saying you want to buy when demand is such that people will pay even higher prices and the supply isn't sufficient to meet all the demand in or around the prices you paid. I think you'll find that's a very bad reason to buy since supply and demand got fook all to do with it.

Last edited:
As for the arguments about infinite contracts it shows a lack of thought. Of course you can't have an infinite number of contracts, and it's obvious why if you live in the real finite world and understand what infinite means. Yet if you believe some posters there can be infinite contracts. Of course the fact that there never have been infinite contracts traded in the whole of history and never will be for obvious reasons - doesn't deter them. You may as well believe in pixies and fairies and magic. Yeah "magic up a futures transaction", you couldn't have said it better cablemonster. Magic is what's required to make sense of this infinite contracts available nonsense. Think it through.
In practical terms yes there is a finite number of contracts possible.
Liquidity and volume have gone much higher than anyone thought possible
over the last few years, mostly due to HFT's recycling capital in milliseconds.
The massive increase in volume shows that number of contracts and supply is not an issue,
the round trip speed of those contracts is the only limiting factor, and by implication, liquidity consumption.
See attached.

Attachments

• 2005.20130805.SPY.Shares.png
    2005.20130805.SPY.Shares.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 2005.20130805.SPY.Quotes.png
    2005.20130805.SPY.Quotes.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 2005.20130805.SPY.QperT.png
    2005.20130805.SPY.QperT.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 2005.20130805.SPY.Qper100sh.png
    2005.20130805.SPY.Qper100sh.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 156
Shak, can you elaborate on your recommendation text,
as I'm not sure what you meant :)

The contract supply envelope has been stretched massively by HFT.
I also said there is a practical limitation - RT speed and non HFT liquidity consumption, that puts a practical cap on contract supply.
Have we seen that limit yet - who knows...

Supply and demand is different to buyers and sellers, you explained that in your previous post. Now, don't write something as silly as buyers = sellers...OK? I'm starting to think you are senile.

The markets are a mechanism for matching buyers and sellers. They do not support one sided transactions.

When someone buys a stock, they have to buy it from somebody. Same for futures contracts, so yes buyers = sellers in terms of contracts/shares/currency traded. Not actual number of participants.

To suggest that Barjon thought the actual qty of participants the same is disingenuous - we all know he didn't.

Now - of course, in the case of stocks, whether that seller actually had stock to sell in the first place is a different matter entirely. Same as to whether the seller has the ability to back up his trade with physical commodity..

Perhaps instead of name calling, you could explain the mechanism by which a buyer buys something from nobody.

The importance of futures markets being infinite is that other markets are finite.

Stocks have specific scarcity issues which adds another dimension to "what causes price to move?"

Totally agreed.

The fact is that there are mechanics to price movement. There is a reason we don't trade 1640 one minute, then 1400 the next, then 1923 the next and 300 the next. The reason behind that is the way liquidity works in a 4 way auction.

So that is mechanics of price movement. It is both the "why does price move" and the "why doesn't price move all over the place".

It is not "what motivated people to buy at this point?". That is not the mechanics of price movement. The speculative model leads you to certain decision points in the market or lines in the sand where you might not know 100% what people will do but you sure know what will happen if the line is crossed OR if it fails to cross the line.

Longer term - the tail wags the dog or the dog wags the tail. Does futures trading provide price stability or cause instability? Jury is out on that one but I stand by my opinion that it is the latter.

T
he arguments about futures being infinite are a bit of a side show here, as Toast has said all you need to magic up a futures transaction is any 2 people on both sides of the trade. Think about it I could have £10k in my account and another punter could have £10k, we could buy and sell to each other all day long, millions of contracts, does this mean the underlying is more scarce/plentiful, of course not, hence the supply/demand of contracts notion isn't helpful.

Cheque's in the post.

See - I agree with this but I don't agree that I am discussing the micro-level. Both L_V and I will look at the paragraphs above and think "he's just proved my point" because we both have fixed ideas about the tail and the dog.

I look at the above and think that it absolutely proves my point - news comes out and then people speculate about it. They think other people will buy oil higher later on and they and up effectively front-running/gaming the market which causes the actual price rise.

T

Good stuff. There is no doubt that, to a point, higher prices attract more buyers. That's not just the case in financial markets but all markets. Housing bubbles for instance tend to work this way.

Am I the only one here that had brought the high tick of a market? Some of it is human nature but some of it is the fact that the buying reached a crescendo and actually ensured that this became the high tick. It also explains why quite often, a market has to move down before it can move up.

The best way to think about this is not to think that those who brought are buyers. Anyone who already brought is a seller. So, as prices rise, some might think "look at all these buyers" but I think "look at all these future sellers".

Because futures markets are so speculative, very few hold till expiry, so they are not consumers. If you go back to the apple analogy. Most buyers are future eaters, not future sellers.

Shak, I'll answer here, the number of contracts generated are just glorified
transaction receipts.

Analogy time.

Scenario 1.
Outside a supermarket with £100.
You go in, fill trolley with 100 bags of peas.
You paid £100 and have 1 receipt.

Scenario 2.
Outside supermarket with £100.
You run in and out buying a handful of peas each time.
You stop when you have £100 worth of peas.
You paid £100 and have 1000 receipts.

Consider the receipt a futures contract,
and scenario 2 is the HFT.
Same capital outlay, greater number of contracts.

In short, yes supply is price dependent.
Time is much more elastic as far as contract supply is concerned,
due to the above factors.

My analogy is probably bo11ox, f**k it I'll post it anyway :LOL:

T
See - I agree with this but I don't agree that I am discussing the micro-level. Both L_V and I will look at the paragraphs above and think "he's just proved my point" because we both have fixed ideas about the tail and the dog.

I look at the above and think that it absolutely proves my point - news comes out and then people speculate about it. They think other people will buy oil higher later on and they and up effectively front-running/gaming the market which causes the actual price rise.
No not rigid and set in stone at all.
Yes with 08 oil though :p

I have observed that some posters think of supply and demand as a fixed number of things sitting in a giant warehouse somewhere that become abundant or scarce. It goes beyond that.

Part of supply and demand is about future expectations of participants. Do you realise this or has it been completely ignored? Talking about liquidity consumption or speculation and then suggesting it has nothing to do with supply and demand is dishonest. You're kidding yourself. How can you consume something if there is no supply? Why would anyone buy anything if there is no demand? It's paradoxical gibberish.

I can see why a vendor might want to reinvent the wheel, but I can't see why a normal person would.

So you're saying you want to buy when demand is such that people will pay even higher prices and the supply isn't sufficient to meet all the demand in or around the prices you paid. I think you'll find that's a very bad reason to buy since supply and demand got fook all to do with it.

for me personally I dont find the concept of supply and demand helpful I merely offered some text that tried to help where I thought others were getting tangled.

I am not going to argue your post line for line as doing so would have precisely no upside for me.

We can settle this tomorrow morning if you like. Just call up Eurex tomorrow morning when they open and ask them if there is a limit on the amount of eurostoxx contracts that can trade today. They will tell you there is no limit, 9m trade then guess what they can magic up another million if people want to trade. Then ask they guy if an infinite number of eurostoxx contracts have ever traded. Be prepared for him to hang up!

Just like the market you will find people on tinternet with different opinions, I am finecwith that for obvious reasons.

"the fact that there has never been infinite contracts traded in the whole of history".... Jeez - are you serious? You do realize that despite what Buzz Lightyear may say, it is not possible to "reach" infinity right?

You come up with some odd arguments Shak.

The fact is, in futures there is infinite supply and as L_V says, the only limit is what people want to trade. This does not change the fact that infinite contracts are available. HFTs push up the volume and the amount of futures contracts increase accordingly because there is no limit. They get created on the fly. Infinite supply, not infinite TAKE UP of that supply.

Now - if you traded stocks, there if finite supply, it is called the float. When stocks are heavily short, the effective float is reduced and this is what helps in a short squeeze. The reduction in the amount of available shares is true scarcity and when more people chase a limited supply....

Of course, this is somewhat countered by certain people selling stocks they don't actually have in the first place...