Scanning the FTSE 350 stocks

seancass

Can anyone point me in the right direction of an inexpensive service that will alert me at any one time to the best performing sectors within the FTSE 350 and the best performing stocks in those sectors please?

Thanks
Sean

seancass said:
Can anyone point me in the right direction of an inexpensive service that will alert me at any one time to the best performing sectors within the FTSE 350 and the best performing stocks in those sectors please?
Thanks
Sean
Hi Sean,
This rather depends upon your criteria for the "best performing sectors" in the 350. Regardless of how you go about this, I can recommend with enthusiasm ShareScope.
www.ShareScope.com
Check out their offer on the T2W homepage. You can do what you want with their basic 'Gold' package which, by anyones standards, is very good product and excellent value for money. Failing that, I will happily tell you what I regard as the best / worst sectors but, then again, my criteria for assessing them may well be different from yours!
Tim.

seancass said:

Thanks
Sean

Hello Sean,

Tim's right, Sharescope is good for £14 per month. It may well do much more than you're after.

Check digitallook.com - use the screener tool (you have to register). It's free and will probably give you all you want - it certainly does what you've asked for above, for nothing

Good luck,
UTB

Last edited:
timsk said:
Failing that, I will happily tell you what I regard as the best / worst sectors but, then again, my criteria for assessing them may well be different from yours!
FWIW . . .
I have a crude points system which puts each sector into one of five categories with a maximum score of +/- 20;
1. Strong buy > +10
2. Weak buy > +4
3. Mixed / neutral < +3 but > -3
4. Weak sell < -4
5. Strong sell < -10
The appraisal for the week ending 01/12/06 throws up the following results:
The market as a whole scores +8 putting it in the 'weak buy' category, with 9 sectors in the 'strong buy' category, which represents an increase of 3 sectors from last week's analysis. Those sectors are:-
Score +12 - Fixed Line Telecomm's, Household Goods, Industrial Transportation.
Score +11 - Personal Goods, Travel & Leisure
Score +10 - Chemicals, Industrial Metals, Oil Equip' Services & Distribution, Tobacco

I've only 'eyeballed' the stocks within each sector to pick out the ones which look strong:-
Fixed Line Telecomm's: BT
Household Goods: BWY, BKG, BVS, CRST, PSN, WLB
Industrial Transportation: FPT
Personal Goods: BRBY
Travel & Leisure: BAY, CPG, EZJ, ETI, GOG, GNK, MAB, PUB, RTN, JDW, WTB, WOLV
Chemicals: CRDA
Industrial Metals: CS.
Oil Equip' Services & Distribution: HTG
Tobacco: IMT

HTH (Not an epic code :cheesy: )
Tim.

Tim,

Many thanks for your very full response. Great stuff. I'll take a look at Share scope. I like your evaluation operation.

The Blades, thank you too! I'll take a look at the website.

The reason that I ask about this is that I am trading a SIPP account using swing trading of between, say, two days and a week or longer. With the hellishly high costs of trading SIPP CFDs with IG Markets it wouldn't be worth trading equities for any shorter time period unless a significant profit is achieved. Therefore, it's important to stack the cards in my favour by trading long with the strongest stocks in the strongest sectors provided there is good momentum and noticeable trend or opportunity for breakout.

timsk said:
FWIW . . .
I have a crude points system which puts each sector into one of five categories with a maximum score of +/- 20;
1. Strong buy > +10
2. Weak buy > +4
3. Mixed / neutral < +3 but > -3
4. Weak sell < -4
5. Strong sell < -10
The appraisal for the week ending 01/12/06 throws up the following results:
The market as a whole scores +8 putting it in the 'weak buy' category, with 9 sectors in the 'strong buy' category, which represents an increase of 3 sectors from last week's analysis. Those sectors are:-
Score +12 - Fixed Line Telecomm's, Household Goods, Industrial Transportation.
Score +11 - Personal Goods, Travel & Leisure
Score +10 - Chemicals, Industrial Metals, Oil Equip' Services & Distribution, Tobacco

I've only 'eyeballed' the stocks within each sector to pick out the ones which look strong:-
Fixed Line Telecomm's: BT
Household Goods: BWY, BKG, BVS, CRST, PSN, WLB
Industrial Transportation: FPT
Personal Goods: BRBY
Travel & Leisure: BAY, CPG, EZJ, ETI, GOG, GNK, MAB, PUB, RTN, JDW, WTB, WOLV
Chemicals: CRDA
Industrial Metals: CS.
Oil Equip' Services & Distribution: HTG
Tobacco: IMT

HTH (Not an epic code :cheesy: )
Tim.