Scanners

Any reviews of the Via Trader scanner would be much appreciated. I'm trying to decide between a couple of scanners.

Best on the market IMO. Commentary is second to none and worth the monthly fee on its own.
Naz has the hottest stocks in there and the scans are programmed to his own personal intraday setups.

Thanks for the reviews. Does the commentary include trade recomendations or is it purely market oriented? And do you have a feel for the ratio of good calls compared to call noise with the scanner, in the sense of whipsaw like calls. I suppose I'm asking about how much work you need to do checking out calls.

To get the most out of it, you need to understand Alan's setups and how to trade them, i.e. go to his seminar or have one to one coaching, as if going in blind you will be taking every call when the trade might not even be on.

However, they do run performance tests to check what set ups are more profitable than others and the results have been quite staggering.

I use Via Trader and my comments are as follows.

About a dozen or so "hot stocks" are loaded into the scanner every day by Alan Rich. These stocks tend to be pretty quick movers and provide ample opportunity to make some serious profits.

You can filter out any of these stocks that you do not want to trade so you do not get the alerts on them and will not be distracted by alerts that you are not interested in. I usually filter out 4 or 5 leaving me with 7 or 8 stocks in the scanner. Note that you are not able to add your own stocks but the stocks that are already in the scanner are pretty racy and you probably don't need anything else anyway.

Obviously not all of the alerts work.

They are based on a handful of basic TA set ups, and alerts happen whether the TA setup is in the right context or not.

This is where skill, brains etc take over from the computer. It is up to the user to sort the wheat from the chaff and it is not too difficult. The approach I use is to see an alert and then bring up the relevant chart. If it looks a complete non-starter I will immediately discard it and wait for the next alert.

However, if it looks ok or semi-ok, I will either enter immediately or wait for the next bar ( or even 2 ) to develop to give added confirmation of the possible move. Some of the moves are so great that waiting for a bar or two after the alert may cut your profit from 300 points to 250 points but who cares ?!!

Make no mistake, this scanner gives some fantastic moves and if you get a good one early on, you can quit for the day and go and do something more interesting.

Full marks to the Via Trader team for this exciting product - it makes life so much easier by chopping out all that fruitless screen watching time...............and it works beautifully.

Cheap at the price !!!

Please note that I am certainly not a member of the Via Trader team.

Forex Alerts?

Chicken Curry said:
I use Via Trader and my comments are as follows.

About a dozen or so "hot stocks" are loaded into the scanner every day by Alan Rich. These stocks tend to be pretty quick movers and provide ample opportunity to make some serious profits.

You can filter out any of these stocks that you do not want to trade so you do not get the alerts on them and will not be distracted by alerts that you are not interested in. I usually filter out 4 or 5 leaving me with 7 or 8 stocks in the scanner. Note that you are not able to add your own stocks but the stocks that are already in the scanner are pretty racy and you probably don't need anything else anyway.

Obviously not all of the alerts work.

They are based on a handful of basic TA set ups, and alerts happen whether the TA setup is in the right context or not.

Will they start a "Forex" alert service one day, perhaps?

This is where skill, brains etc take over from the computer. It is up to the user to sort the wheat from the chaff and it is not too difficult. The approach I use is to see an alert and then bring up the relevant chart. If it looks a complete non-starter I will immediately discard it and wait for the next alert.

However, if it looks ok or semi-ok, I will either enter immediately or wait for the next bar ( or even 2 ) to develop to give added confirmation of the possible move. Some of the moves are so great that waiting for a bar or two after the alert may cut your profit from 300 points to 250 points but who cares ?!!

Make no mistake, this scanner gives some fantastic moves and if you get a good one early on, you can quit for the day and go and do something more interesting.

Full marks to the Via Trader team for this exciting product - it makes life so much easier by chopping out all that fruitless screen watching time...............and it works beautifully.

Cheap at the price !!!

Please note that I am certainly not a member of the Via Trader team.

It would be a great idea if the Via Trader team could run a similar "Alert" service for forex traders, both intra-day and trend followers?

james.olson said:
I couldn't get through to any of the sites that are referenced. Is there a simple scanner, for example, find all the NYSE stocks that have a closing price between $5 and $30, an average volume of more than 200,000, and their 5-day SMA crossed the 10-day SMA within the last 2 days?

Thanks.

http://www.stockfetcher.com/

Chickencurry

Chicken Curry said:
I might be wrong but I understood that this was in fact in their plans.

You could email them to ask.

Thanks chicken - will do.

As far as I can see, Top Gun doesn't have a top trader commentating on the top picks of the day or telling you the trades he's made, which makes for excellent mentoring. With Via Trader there are 3 areas if added value, if you like:

1) Alan's commentary
2) A list of hot stocks for the day, which is more than enough for you to get $1 a day off if you don't mess it up. (I did yesterday, but that was my fault- you could have got your money for the day on AAPL alone, which was called several times, and SNDK - same thing + some NYSE stocks if you trade those.
3) Alerts of set ups forming in those hot stocks as you go through the day. As has been mentioned, you need to take these in context of what's going on in the broader picture. Eg. you may get an alert during the lunchtime period, because the price action happens to form one of the patterns, but the market is stagnant.

As has also been mentioned, you need to understand the Via Trader set ups- which means training. FWIW I did the training first, because I'd reached a point where I needed someone's help (or many months of trying to work it out myself). The scanner came afterwards as a natural progression.

As Pitbull has said, having the commentary is like having a little voice inside your head. I find it takes the isolation out of all of this, but you are ultimately left to make your own decisions as to how you trade and what you trade. You have to take responsibility for the decisions you take- when you enter, when you exit. You cannot use a scanner as something to blame when things go wrong. If you want something that will help you get your $/day then Via Trader does the job, but you have to do the job on yourself- do the hard work to learn the set ups and get through your psychological barriers. If Top Gun does or even claims to do all that Via Trader does, then have a look.... Well have a look anyway.

If I were you, I would look at both. They've both got free trial periods so you've got nothing to lose.

Apologies if the above reads a bit harsh, but that is the way it is (in my view!)

Last edited:
Just a cursory glance at the Top Gun website gives the impression that the whole thing is complicated.

Compare this to The Via Trader site which is simple to read, understand and use.

TA-ngo not accepting new subscribers

Hi,

I used marketgauge. It's definitely worth a go for a month or two to assess for yourself.

I've just tried to signup to TA-ngo, but am getting a message saying they are not accepting new subscribers at the moment?

Does anyone know why? I am particularly fond of the intraday 'gap reversal' and 'reverse through open'.

I am only interested in applying these on US stocks.

If TA-ngo are no longer offering this service, does anyone know where else I can get it?

I am aware of via-trader, but I wan't to focus just on one or two patterns while i build up my confidence (rather than a number of patterns, on a handful of stocks).

Cheers, Dave.

davidgrice said:
Hi,

I used marketgauge. It's definitely worth a go for a month or two to assess for yourself.

I've just tried to signup to TA-ngo, but am getting a message saying they are not accepting new subscribers at the moment?

Does anyone know why? I am particularly fond of the intraday 'gap reversal' and 'reverse through open'.

I am only interested in applying these on US stocks.

If TA-ngo are no longer offering this service, does anyone know where else I can get it?

I am aware of via-trader, but I wan't to focus just on one or two patterns while i build up my confidence (rather than a number of patterns, on a handful of stocks).

Cheers, Dave.

TA-ngo was replaced by VIA- Trader.

The stocks in the scanner change daily as the list is updated on a daily basis. Alan only puts in what, in his view, are going to be the high potential movers of the day. If you want to focus on the types of call you mention in the first hour or so, then this is possible. VIA just makes it easier to find the potential movers.

All I suggest is you have a look and see in the trial period which moves are called and look at the charts to see the correlation. However, they do suggest you take their training in one form or another to make yourself familiar with the set ups used.

The problem you may have, in my view, is that it's easier to focus on a small number of stocks for the day and to be familiar with more set ups. You don't need loads of them of course.

Hope this helps.

I just signed up for free trial of the Via scanner. Can anyone give me some advice on how it should be used ? I use a 2 -5 - 20min charts FWIW :)

For those who want to build their own lists and custom conditions
TradeStation's RadarScreen is one alternative...