Scalping

Well, honestly I can't say I learnt something new from Brooks, maybe cause I day trade for over 7 years myself and got quite familiar with price action.

One person, I deeply respect, said that "Trends" book by Brooks is really good and written much better, than the first book.

Also another person, whom I trust, recommended me the same book as you did (price action scalping), so guess it's a good read for real.

This is extract from Bob Volman Book:

"An aspiring scalper should realize, though, that he is just as human and susceptive to the vagaries of the mind as all those who failed before him. To think oneself above that can be a costly mistake that sooner or later may come to collect its debt. Arguably, the only way for a scalper to stand a fighting chance is to acknowledge his personal follies and not deny them".

Then he goes on and finishes like this:

"An excellent trick to counter intuitive folly is to force yourself beforehand, mentally or even verbally, to rationally defend your reasons for taking a trade, as opposed to just pulling the trigger because thinks look good. Rationalising your next step will instantly demobilize a big chunk of potential irrationality. This is crucial concept to grasp."

I think if we want to take our trading to higher level we need to bring in an understanding of human condition, and I think Bob does that well, but not only.

Mike

Sports psychology works are extremely useful for traders in this matter (conditioning).

Sports psychology works are extremely useful for traders in this matter (conditioning).

The mind does not help when in a chimpanzee mode, need to be tamed to be able to see things for what they really are.

The mind creates bias and direction scattered by anxiety, not of any use for a scalper. When the mind is still not effort is needed but just the awareness to be the (with the) flow.

The mind does not help when in a chimpanzee mode, need to be tamed to be able to see things for what they really are.

The mind creates bias and direction scattered by anxiety, not of any use for a scalper. When the mind is still not effort is needed but just the awareness to be the (with the) flow.

Yes. That's why sports psychology is especially applicable. No time to think over things in both professional sports and professional short-term trading.

Everything should be a well trained reflex, "muscle memory", so to say.

Yes. That's why sports psychology is especially applicable. No time to think over things in both professional sports and professional short-term trading.

Everything should be a well trained reflex, "muscle memory", so to say.

If you like to suggest some reading, please do so.

Which TF do yo trade with? and which instruments?

I only trade eurusd in the 30 seconds.

If you like to suggest some reading, please do so.

Which TF do yo trade with? and which instruments?

I only trade eurusd in the 30 seconds.

Gallwey definitely writes very well on tennis. Also I read one methodical training instruction for shooters, but it's in Russian and I'm not sure if available in English anywhere (doubt it).

I trade mostly using 1-min and 5-min charts with some bigger context element. Try to explain more or less detailed how I trade in my blog (you can find the link in my profile and also I posted the link in this thread a few times).

Gallwey definitely writes very well on tennis. Also I read one methodical training instruction for shooters, but it's in Russian and I'm not sure if available in English anywhere (doubt it).

I trade mostly using 1-min and 5-min charts with some bigger context element. Try to explain more or less detailed how I trade in my blog (you can find the link in my profile and also I posted the link in this thread a few times).

Ok, thanks.

Cheers

Okay, as for the co-located servers that's been around for a few years. One of those articles was published in 2010. Nothing new there, that's pretty much the reason why the locals can not scalp anymore. The computers are so fast that they pick up on just about every available "true" scalping opportunity and take advantage of it before any human can ever discern there was even an opportunity to begin with. They also arb with the cash markets and have a bunch of other strategies. That's fine, it still leaves plenty of directional betting opportunities if you step out to even a timeframe of 30s-1m.

When I wrote a couple days ago about scalping the inside bid/offer maybe I made it seem like that was my overall strategy. It is not, it's just an opportunity that I saw one night and took advantage of it. Frankly I think to be trying to scalp the inside bid/offer with a retail line from the west coast of Canada to an exchange in Frankfurt on a regular basis is not possible.

Someone posted a chart with a couple breakout plays on them. They're valid trades of course but understand that it's all in the money management that makes them possible in the long run. There are just as many or more false breakouts as there are true ones. I don't really think that's TA though. Playing off prior reversal levels is about as basic as it gets, every kind of trader watches those numbers and you don't need any charts up to know where those levels are. Technical analysis is indicators. Price derivatives on time series. Absolutely meaningless. Of course you can make a strategy work with indicators, but it isn't the indicator that's making the strategy work. It's the money management.

There's a bunch of talk about price action going on. I believe price action is a valid concept, however anything that the price does is incidental to the volume. All the action is in the volume, and the price just gets towed along.

All you guys trading with forex brokers should read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator if you haven't already. It was written about events over a century ago but has lots of talk about bucket shops in them. It's really funny reading about it in 2012 because they operate exactly the same as they always have!

Okay, as for the co-located servers that's been around for a few years. One of those articles was published in 2010. Nothing new there, that's pretty much the reason why the locals can not scalp anymore. The computers are so fast that they pick up on just about every available "true" scalping opportunity and take advantage of it before any human can ever discern there was even an opportunity to begin with. They also arb with the cash markets and have a bunch of other strategies. That's fine, it still leaves plenty of directional betting opportunities if you step out to even a timeframe of 30s-1m.

When I wrote a couple days ago about scalping the inside bid/offer maybe I made it seem like that was my overall strategy. It is not, it's just an opportunity that I saw one night and took advantage of it. Frankly I think to be trying to scalp the inside bid/offer with a retail line from the west coast of Canada to an exchange in Frankfurt on a regular basis is not possible.

Someone posted a chart with a couple breakout plays on them. They're valid trades of course but understand that it's all in the money management that makes them possible in the long run. There are just as many or more false breakouts as there are true ones. I don't really think that's TA though. Playing off prior reversal levels is about as basic as it gets, every kind of trader watches those numbers and you don't need any charts up to know where those levels are. Technical analysis is indicators. Price derivatives on time series. Absolutely meaningless. Of course you can make a strategy work with indicators, but it isn't the indicator that's making the strategy work. It's the money management.

There's a bunch of talk about price action going on. I believe price action is a valid concept, however anything that the price does is incidental to the volume. All the action is in the volume, and the price just gets towed along.

All you guys trading with forex brokers should read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator if you haven't already. It was written about events over a century ago but has lots of talk about bucket shops in them. It's really funny reading about it in 2012 because they operate exactly the same as they always have!

When you say it's the money management that is making it profitable, are you talking about just risk reward ratios? What exactly do you mean?

Also I noticed the Paul Rotter interview, and I remember reading that he uses charts, chart patterns and the CCI indicator among other things.

When you say it's the money management that is making it profitable, are you talking about just risk reward ratios? What exactly do you mean?

Also I noticed the Paul Rotter interview, and I remember reading that he uses charts, chart patterns and the CCI indicator among other things.

Haha yeah he said that, but only to throw off his competition! He most certainly does not use those things.

Yeah it's good risk reward among other common money management ideas that make TA stuff profitable in the long run, if an indicator system makes a large amount of money it is almost certainly a lucky draw and won't be repeated.

$5mil a month, man.....
The "5 mil a month man" said in an interview .......
q: what timeframes are you using on your charts?
a: usually 5- - 30-min charts for trendlines and indicators. I prefer p&f charts because they give me a clearer view on patterns (triple tops). for indicators I like the CCI because it also shows the volatility of the markets.
and you said this is rubbish.....What makes you so confident?

Got a few comments on this.

1) TA is not just indicators. Classic TA as taught in Edwards & Magee is price action mostly.

2) Indicators are indeed derivatives of price, but they show price action in a slightly different manner, sometimes smoothed, showing relations between the moves etc. Some people find it useful and interpret indicators better, than naked price. Why not? Having said that, I am not one of those people, I prefer just price with maybe EMA on it and that's it.

3) This volume/price holy war seems to be endless. But I have yet to see someone trading on volume without price. ;)

We trade price changes, not volume changes, so price is priority of analysis IMO.

4) I have read Livermore long ago. Trade with a well known "bucket shop" (Oanda) for almost as long (since 2005). Along with it I also trade through "normal broker" (IB). I see no difference, except that deal costs @ Oanda are usually smaller (except the fast market conditions, that's when I switch to IB and trade either spot FX through their ECN platform or 6E) and there's no slippage with Oanda beyond 0.1-0.2 pips most of the time.

Does it mean I should stop doing what works, because Livermore or someone else said bucket shops suck a hundred years ago? :cheesy:

P. S. Having said above on bucket shops, of course there are many, many scams in this industry. But some of "retail FX" companies are legit and have good reputation. One just has to be cautious, not scared.

The "5 mil a month man" said in an interview .......

and you said this is rubbish.....What makes you so confident?

Yes I know he said that. I am confident that he uses none of it BECAUSE he made 5 million a month.

The only reason he was able to make that much money was because he was so big of an S.O.B. that he robbed thousands of people out of their life savings, their jobs, their livelihoods....EVERYTHING. He knew how to work the order book so well that he made professionals with more experience then him think the market was doing something that it wasn't. He tricked them all into giving him their money. It sucks for the guys who lost but we all know the game we play (well, some of us do...).

If you think you could trick all these men out of tens of millions of dollars by a few squiggles on some stupid picture you are out of your mind.

Haha yeah he said that, but only to throw off his competition! He most certainly does not use those things.

Yeah it's good risk reward among other common money management ideas that make TA stuff profitable in the long run, if an indicator system makes a large amount of money it is almost certainly a lucky draw and won't be repeated.

I disagree. Breakouts can also be very different and a trained eye can distinguish the breakout having good odds of working vs. potentially bad one. Just the matter of practice. Markets are moved by more or less the same factors, companies and even traders/robots executing orders, so that you can learn typical behaviour of a certain market over time.

This is a serious edge, many neglect, when they speak of TA. And of course the result for them is "TA doesn't work". :)

Of course it doesn't just like pulling on boxing gloves doesn't make one WBA champion.

Same story as with reading DOM or whatever.

CME co-location is new, the original story is from Aug 2010, but thats about the
opening of the new data centre in Illinois that Globex was moved onto.

Offering co-location was part of the 2nd phase due for intro early 2012:
Extract from aug 2010 report:
CME Group Opens Chicago Trading Hub » Data Center Knowledge
CME this week moved its electronic Globex trading platform into the new facility, and will move additional trading operations to the new site in October.
A second phase slated for early 2012 will offer colocation space for brokers and trading firms to house their own systems in the facility.

Just me splitting hairs really.
Seriously though, full extent of CME co-location probably hasn't been seen yet.
As you say though, if you aren't exclusively working in the spread or hunting 1-2 ticks,
not as big a deal, just something to bear in mind.