SB Brokers cheats?

Tommog….

You need to consider a number of factors which you appear to be over looking. I’ll try and briefly run through a few of them.

1. The leverage aspect. You imply that the SB’ers give you leverage while ‘Direct Access’ doesn't. This isn’t correct. Firstly, futures products are already, in effect, leveraged products. The current S&P 500 Futures price for Sept 04 is currently 1104. Each point of that 1104 is worth $50 based on the Emini contract. That means that one Emini (ES) S&P contract has a current value of 1104 x 50 = $55,200. However, you can by one of these contracts with just $5,000 on deposit. Therefore your leverage through direct access is considerable. Admittedly the SB’ers offer even more leverage again but this extra leverage isn’t automatically a good thing, I’ll explain more on that point presently.

2. The trading requirements (ie deposit factors / NTR’s / margin requirements what ever you want to call them) are generally set by the exchange and not by your broker. These requirements are calculated for a number of reasons. Firstly, the obvious one is simply to cover the futures exchange against customers defaulting on their contractual obligations in settling what they owe in losses. They don’t want situations where customers can not pay. This would damage the integrity of the exchange. Secondly, the exchange has a form of ‘duty of care’ to its participants. The lower the trading requirement, the quicker the cycle of possible draw down on your account. A low trading requirement basically endangers a bigger percentage of your account balance on each trade. In effect the exchange is being ethical in looking out for your interests by ensuring, that at least to some degree, you have an element of money management forced into your trading methodology.

3. SB’ers which offer very low trading requirements do so in the knowledge that they are drastically increasing your chances of failure as a long term trader especially if you bet on ‘naked’ positions (that is to say that you just open one position and gamble that the market will move one way or the other). The basis of any good trading system is Money Management (MM). If you think that you can trade for the long term without MM then I will almost guarantee you that you will lose. Most experienced traders I know will not risk more that about 2% of there total account balance on any single trade. With that in mind they simply don’t require the leverage which you are seeking. On that basis I would suggest that by seeking a big leverage you are making a BIG mistake. There are some exceptions from this where low trading requirements can be useful. I personally trade a number of options strategy which, from time to time, can leave me exposed if the market starts to trend strongly in a single direction for more than a couple of weeks. I am someone who writes Puts and Calls in certain markets. In such a situation I will seek to hedge any potential risk exposure by buying or selling a futures product which will hopefully bring my risk back to zero (ie I buy enough futures to balance the ‘in the money call’ which I have previously written). Don’t worry if you don’t follow all that. The point I’m making is that my position in the futures isn’t a ‘naked’ one, its hedged to a large degree by an outstanding option. This means that I am looking maintain hedge as cheaply as possible and therefore, as you have pointed out, the SB’ers are stronger in this area. It is also worth noting that, in the situation mentioned above, I will often let the hedge run until it expires. This is because I take the hedge on the same month future as the options. In this case the future and the option will expire at the same level (in effect). With this in mind I don’t actually pay the full spread to the SB’er because when a future expires it does so at the mid price and there for there is no need pay the spread to trade out. In essence you get the trade at exactly half the advertised spread.

4. Some, if not all, the direct access brokers offer a degree of margin on stocks anyway. Mine will allow you to use about twice what you have on deposit. I don’t recommend trading close to your limits of margin. Firstly for the reasons already mentioned and secondly because the margin factor and associated problems can become factors in your trading decisions which will result in you making poor choices under unnecessary pressure.

5. If you choose to trade with anyone who is making a parallel market then all of the pitfalls which have been outlined in previous posts will be there. The only way you can be sure that you will be treated fairly is to trade directly to the main markets. These main markets are tightly controlled in many ways. Pricing, liquidity, order book transparency, execution and NMS are all clearly regulated. In the United States this is all regulated by the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission). In this country we have no such organisation and boy do we know it. The FSA are supposed to regulate but they also have to cover many areas of the financial industry and therefore are the proverbial ‘jack of all trades and master of none’. While this remains the case it is unlikely that any such parallel market will be regulated in the same way as the main markets and therefore the customer will always leave themselves open to abuse of some kind or another. Obviously these parallel markets have to market themselves in some way so they push the points that they feel the punter considers favourable. These are obviously ‘tax free winnings’ and ‘low trading requirements’. As I have said before, the ‘low trading requirements’ is a Trojan horse for all but the experienced dealers.

Hope this helps you further,
Steve.

PS As a footnote, I find it amazing that the spreadbetting companies suggest that ‘spreadbetting is the easy way to learn about, and get involved, with trading the worlds markets’. I would suggest that it is quite the opposite. When you first start in the business you need to me able to jump in and out of markets as cheaply as possible. No one makes any real gains while they are learning so the ‘tax free’ aspect should have no bearing. Far better to learn the basic principles of discipline etc with market spreads and cheap fees that pay huge spreads etc time. Spreadbetting is surely for the vastly experienced who can consistently make money in the ‘real markets’.

Steve

You're right in saying that the best way to learn is to be able to jump in and out with very small costs but perhaps the angle that the SB firms are coming from is regarding small size.

If someone who doesn't really have a clue about bid-offers, different months, shorting etc wants to learn about trading then risking 10p a point on FTSE is the way to go. Of course if they have a little bit of a brain they'll 'add' back into their fund the extra cost of trading spread bets over futures/cfds etc so as to get a far more realistic account of where they stand.

Then when they're comfortable they can open an account with IB or another broker and bring out some proper money.

Hello Tommag.

There is has been a lot of valid points made so far on this thread so i won't go into any details on whether you should or shouldn't use an SB.
In a nutshell, to day trade using an SB you will eventually be cleaned out.
Im not saying its impossible (nothing in life is) but to be consistent and profitable when the odds are not in your favour, you would need to be an exceptional trader.
I used to Spreadbet the Fx market and was able to triple my account (probably luck) but found that certain circumstances were arising where i felt they where not being fair with prices that were quoted. What would you expect they are classed as bookmakers.
By all means use an SB to learn to trade but i wouldn't expect to much.

Faris

Anley....

Yes, I certainly take your point. In my opinion the term 'paper trading' is miss used. A huge part of trading is the physical placing of the opening order and also the inforcement of the stop or profit taking. This part of trading can not be experienced by simply jotting entries and exits down on a piece of paper. Physical money has to be used from the outset even if it is only a few pounds risked on each trade. It's amazing how emotional people get over a £5 loss !! If someone comes to me and suggests that they're 'paper trading' I always recommend a small spreadbetting account depositing just £200 or so and then playing with small bet sizes. Fins is good for that. I guess the question is when to make the move to direct access. Once a spreadbet account is set up the temptation must be to further fund it in order to just bet bigger. This is prehaps the best time to migrate to direct access.

Steve.

anley

spreadbetting may or may not provide a leg up in the learning process - but it is just so far from the real world of trading - that i suspect that as much as it might help - it may also hinder

so many long term players on spreadbetting seem to talk interminably of the price bias etc with spreadbetting (something they totaly misunderstand and would realise there is no bias or price flipping if they did and/or understood real trading and how spreadbetting prices are derived) that i wonder if it can do as much damage as good

but i didn't spreadbet to learn to trade - thankfully that option didnt exist when i started to trade anyway - so if you did learn that way and you are now trading 100 x ES at a go - you would be better informed to comment for sure on this in relation to yourself - but i woudl still suspect my comments would apply better to the majority

Pervaz

a profesional trader is someone who has made over 6 figures from trading for each of 3 consectutive years

alternatives to spreadbetting - the same people the spreadbetting companies use to lay off your bets - electronic brokers - they are quite a few recommended on this forum

Last edited:
thank you everyone for your advice especially steve spray for pointing out factors i may be overlooking.

I didn't mean to imply that direct access doesn't give you leaverage, my concern is that it will cost too much to open a position. Obviously with SB you can open a position at £1 a point, with a stop in place you are looking at around £30 risk for a reward realisticly of about £30-40 (Dow daily £1 for e.g).

How does that scenario compare to direct access? Say i wanted to start small how small can you start a Direct Access trading "career". I see DD as the best way forward and would like to get into it but i am worried it will require risking too much capital. Assuming making a living off of DD wasn't an issue, i just wanted to continue my trading education, please could you tell me how cheaply (wrong word) cautiously this could be done?

Thank you very much.

to upgrade your analysis - with sb, for a £1 a point bet, with a guaranteed stop at 30pts loss (i dont know what it costs to place a guaranteed stop, but just trying to approxiamte to your analysis), you woudl be looking at a loss of £30 - you can forget about making any profit - so if you do this 50 times - you will be out £1,500

this would compare to trading the emini sp at the minimum cost per point of $50, but each quarter point lost or made would give be $12.50, and every trade you do - you will learn about real trading and even stand a chance of making a profit occasionally

re the $50 a point on the SP - you have to think of the SP being worth roughly 10 times the Dow - so the $50 a point on the SP equates to $5 on the dow, in terms of the intraday volatility

so in relation to your example - with real futures trading - you would be betting £3 ($5) a point instead of £1 - but you would be learning real trading and also stand a chance of winning by trading futures

Tommog....

There are a number of ways to trade 'the dow'. Obviously there is no such thing as 'dow daily cash' in the real market. You have to trade the dow future which is similar to the spreadbetters 'dow cash' product.
The dow future is a quarterly future which expires in march , june , september and december. The spread is generally one point in normal market hours and maybe 2 or 3 outside market hours. It trades 24 hours per day. The minimum contract size for 1 dow future is $5 per point. There are however alternatives. There is a listed stock on NYSE known as 'the diamonds'. It's basically the stock which reflects the dow 30's price. It trades normally on a 1 point spread. It's ticker is DIA. You can buy / sell as many or as few of those DIA stocks as you wish. Obviously if you wished to bet $1 per point then you'd need to buy 100 stocks, if you wanted to bet $5 per point then buy 500 stocks. Obviously if you wanted to do $5 per point it would be better to trade the future rather than the DIA because your round trip costs would be much lower.

Realistically you need £3,000 minimum to start any kind of trading but I'd suggest that £5,000+ would give you odds of greater returns because at some point you will suffer a drawdown (thats a capital reduction exercise of sorts) which, if you only had £3,000 on deposit, might require you to find extra funding.....we call that a 'margin call' and they are generally signs that you're in trouble of sorts.

Steve.

stevet....

Just so we dont confuse people....

The SP is the BIG S&P 500 futures contract. Small traders rarely touch it. What you are actually refuring to is the ES contract which, to give it its correct title is the "Emini S&P 500 Future" which has a value of $50 per whole point. Current level is 1107.25

I think the SP Full size S&P 500 Future is valued at $250 per point. Too rich for me. It's also far more illiquid.

As I said, just a point of clarity so we dont get peeps looking at the wrong data feeds and stuff.

Steve.

Last edited:
yep - you are right - that could be confusing - hard to remember to define everything specifically to avoid confusion

to be specific - SP Full size S&P 500 (normally referred to as the Big SP) is $250 a point - and since it is mostly pit traded - you cant use the normal concept of liquidity - and when it is traded electronically (non-pit hours) - you have to remember that 1 Big = 5 emini - and the 5 emini carry 5 x R/T fees as against 1 x R/T for the Big ( stevespray - you can define this more fully - i aint got the patience!)

p.s. stevespray - had a quick look at your earlier post so i could blow a "define it more clearly" to you -and here is the first and last!

"It trades 24 hours per day. The minimum contract size for 1 dow future is $5 per point. "

"1 dow future " - you need to define it as the $5 dow future - since like the SP , there is also a pit and electronically traded Dow future which is a $10 dow future

and the electronic does not trade 24hrs - certainly not at weekends and i think its 20.75hrs for a normal trading day

over to you stevespray

Last edited:
I stand correct re the 24 hours bit. Acknowledged, it doesnt trade at weekends. (I didnt mean to suggest it did) but as we said, best be clear on this.

Dow $5 or 'Mini Dow' as it is often refured to is contract YM. Mini Dow was introduced recently in two formats, a $5 contract and a $2 contract. The $2 was not popular and was phased out (not surprising really when you considered that the futures dealing costs tripled the 'virtual spread'.

Hope this helps,
Steve.

stevet

I guess I'm not a professional trader in your eyes - I havent made 100k striaght in 3 years (every year).

Are you a professional trader then ?

Pervaz

3 years is just as a learner professional trader - need 10 years of the same to be a reliable professional trader - since it takes at least 10 years to go through enough market cycles to know you can handle anything that comes your way

Faris

100K was Pervaz's interpretation of my "over 6 figures" and yes - you are right - 100K is just change

axthree

if you want to feel inadequate - thats up to you - but i think you should check with her first as she does charge for that sort of thing

I must say everyone is very bitter here..... I spread bet, make (reasonable) money ,in FX, and never have any of the problems that seem to effect you guys.

mind you i dont make 100k unfortunately ..

I just wanted to make a few comments regarding the term ‘Professional Trader’.

Firstly, it’s my opinion that a Pro Trader will make as much money as he can in the prevailing market conditions whilst clearly controlling risk to his capital.

To state the a trader must make sum X to qualify him as a professional is very short sighted. The trader in question may happen to get much fewer clear trading opportunities in a given trading year which could drastically effect turnover and hence income. I would describe such a trader as ‘extremely professional’ in such a circumstance because, unlike his amateur and immature counterpart, he would have clearly stuck to his rules and only traded when the time was right whilst his amateur friend would have psychologically pressured himself in to making trades due to i) pressure to make earnings targets, and ii) pressure because he feels he is making less trades than he previously had been.

There is far more to being professional than the profits you show. There is one key point which everyone misses when discussing stock / futures / options dealing and that is ‘Capital Preservation’. If there is one thing that is guaranteed to stop you dealing it is having no capital left…..It will stop you dead in your tracks.

As for the comments regarding ‘bitterness’. I didn’t personally see any exhibited in the thread. I have commented about real events and activities. I actually make quite a lot of money from spreadbetting and have done for many years and find that certain companies provide some useful instruments. My comments were simply to warn others that unfair practices do exist and given the right circumstances certain companies will take advantage of those practices. As far as I could see we have constructed quite a useful thread.

Steve.

i have been trading for more years than i care to remember - and can not remember one year when the profit oppotunity did not exist

sure, there are less volatile years - but in the less volatile years - you can just pile on more size - since the lessor volatility makes entry and exits easier

i dont believe there is any professional trader who does not have far far higher capital to put into the market than he can ever get safely in with - so money management is baloney

to me -profts are the key to wether someone is professional - but for sure - those profits have to existed for quite a number of years to be valid

capital appreciation is easy and not even on the horizon -when you know how to trade - - since the very foundation of your trading must allow to you to profit more than you lose - and that is automatic accumulation - which is even better than preservation!

the point with the 100K - which was not an amount i brought up - but anyway - is that if you are making money consistently trading - it is going to be real hard not to get to the point where you are making 6 figures - just by default - you are either winning or losing - and if you are winning, but winning by skill and not by luck - the leverage involved in the markets for sure is going to push you up into 6 figures - so if you are not making 6 figures - you really want to evaluate why you think you are trading successfully - take a step back - realise you are kidding yourself - find the problems and move onward and upward

pro·fes·sion·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-fsh-nl)
adj.

1/ Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
2/ Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
3/ Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
4/ Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
5/ Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

It seems that anyone cutting a living from trading would be a "professional"...even if it is only $25,000 p/a. The bottom line profit may be more of a function of capital available, rather than skill.

I used to be a "professional" upholsterer and didn't make much more than that. I will not , however, make unsubstantiated claims as to my present income as a "professional" trader.

Cheers

Last edited: