SAF to retire

samirs

Established member
Sir Alex Ferguson will step down as Manchester United manager at the end of the season after 26 years in charge.

The Scot, 71, has won 38 trophies during his reign at Old Trafford and will now become a director and ambassador for the club.

His haul includes 13 league titles, two Champions League crowns, five FA Cups and four League Cups.

"The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about. It is the right time," Ferguson said.

How do you replace the irreplaceable?

Moyes seems the favourite.
We are all expendable, we all grow old, but I'll miss Fergie and his temper and I don't even support Man U !

How long is Roy Hodgson's contract for? I bet Fergie would take that job if he was offered it . . .

Did SAF build a winning team by developing natural talent, or just buy it in by splashing cash?

SAF

Brilliant domestic record and very hard to see it broken again.

And always great to watch that style of football.

Only downside that they always looked second best in European football.

Sad to see him go, he's a legend, and I say that as a Liverpool fan.

Moyes has some almighty boots to feel, but good on him for taking that challenge

Only downside that they always looked second best in European football.

i beg to differ.

i can remember on a cpl occasions in the 90s watching a quality man u team being knocked out of the CL on the away goal rule....where they looked far from second best, and so went out on an antiquated (1960s) rule that was introduced when travelling away was a troublesome journey and so was required to encourage away team endeavour. (flight) times have changed.

regardless the journey, how can a 1-1 draw away be better than a 0-0 draw at home? you failed to score at home, yet thats a possible advantage? dont bother arguing. wtf.

and all the talk is about goal line technology, 3rd refs etc yet when the rules are broke noone says a thing. go figure. even wenger the @rse argues this point.

winning in europe requires tactical nous, (player) experience, guts under pressure & most importantly a huge dollup of luck. pls refer to mourinho's porto & scholes' disallowed goal. if that doesnt register then pls see chelsea last year. (and i know man u have been on the 'lucky' side of some of these).

one cld possibly argue SAF had as much good luck as poor luck in the CL, however we all know luck will not win you a league title. and thats how greatness shld be measured - on league titles (albeit weighted accordingly to varying standards in global premier national leagues - with PL titles highest ranked / also note administration of those leagues etc etc).

As SAF has definitely proved, he certainly is irreplaceable..

David Moyes giving away points with silly, negative substitutions at the end of matches, giving away the extra 2 points much too often. wouldn't have seen this from a SAF side