Risk vs Reward. A rambling.

shadowninja

Legendary member
I was thinking the other day... I'd take a trade on a risk:reward of 1:2 quite happily, but wouldn't approach a girl in a bar to ask her out when the risk:reward is probably 1:20 (risk = embarrassment for 5 minutes; reward = potential date).

Can you think of any similar risk:reward comparisons in life that you wouldn't do despite a better risk:reward?

I was thinking the other day... I'd take a trade on a risk:reward of 1:2 quite happily, but wouldn't approach a girl in a bar to ask her out when the risk:reward is probably 1:20 (risk = embarrassment for 5 minutes; reward = potential date).

Can you think of any similar risk:reward comparisons in life that you wouldn't do despite a better risk:reward?

The guy who gets on a bus from London to Birmingham after buying the lottery ticket. I always find that amusing.:LOL:

I have a friend who cycles about 15 miles a day, to work and back. He thinks I am a risk taker because I trade.

...but wouldn't approach a girl in a bar to ask her out when the risk:reward is probably 1:20 (risk = embarrassment for 5 minutes; reward = potential date).

I shared a student house a long time ago with a guy who used to wander round the nightclub towards the end of the evening asking random girls if they wanted to come home with him for a f_ck. He reckoned it was about 100/1, which meant he usually ended up taking someone home every couple of weeks. The rest of the house just looked on in amazement: none of us had the nerve even though we could see it worked.

:cheesy: Were they the sort of girls you'd sleep with if you were sober, though?

He should try scalping, then. Er, I mean Dow/FTSE/Forex, not drunk girls in clubs. :cheesy:

I have a friend who cycles about 15 miles a day, to work and back. He thinks I am a risk taker because I trade.

My best mate / best man is in the RAF Hercules Squadron that picks up the Special Forces from the dirt airstrips of all the world's most dangerous places, Iraq, Sierra Leone, Afgan. etc

HE THINKS I HAVE BALLS OF STEEL TRADING THE MKTS FOR A LIVING !

If I have a bad day in front of the pc at least I am alive to eat my supper and have a couple of beers..............

I shared a student house a long time ago with a guy who used to wander round the nightclub towards the end of the evening asking random girls if they wanted to come home with him for a f_ck. He reckoned it was about 100/1, which meant he usually ended up taking someone home every couple of weeks. The rest of the house just looked on in amazement: none of us had the nerve even though we could see it worked.

Another true story. I was once so pissed I asked a girl if she'd f-ck me (the only time I'd ever cut out the patter). To my amazement she agreed (it was a great chat up line afterall), and we headed off to a party where she knew we'd be "OK". I woke up in the morning, in my own bed with the usual almighty hangover and no sores. I know it happened, yet have no idea what happened after leaving the pub - other than I didn't get laid.

So what beer gave with one hand, it took away with the other. Gutted.

UTB

PS - she was actually pretty fit, beer goggles or not!

Another true story. I was once so pissed I asked a girl if she'd f-ck me (the only time I'd ever cut out the patter). To my amazement she agreed (it was a great chat up line afterall), and we headed off to a party where she knew we'd be "OK". I woke up in the morning, in my own bed with the usual almighty hangover and no sores. I know it happened, yet have no idea what happened after leaving the pub - other than I didn't get laid.

So what beer gave with one hand, it took away with the other. Gutted.

UTB

PS - she was actually pretty fit, beer goggles or not!

The important thing tho Blades is that irrespective of outcome which in this case admittedly was not all it should have been by rights you can still be proud of yourself as you did it properly and by the book, ie filling up on the obligatory liquids pre-potential-action.

All this talk of sleeping with girls while sober is very loose and God only knows where that might lead if actually followed through...

Best not to think of some things.

I met her in a club down in old Soho,
where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry cola.
C-o-l-a cola.
She walked up to me and she asked me to dance.
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said,
Lola
L-o-l-a Lola.

Well I'm not the world's most physical guy
but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine.
Oh my Lola, L-o-l-a Lola.

Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand
why she walked like a woman and talked like a man.
Oh my Lola, L-o-l-a Lola.

Well we drank champagne and danced all night
under electric candlelight.
She picked me up and sat me on her knees and said:
Dear boy won't you come home with me?
Well I'm not the world's most passionate guy
But when I looked in her eyes well I almost fell for my Lola.

Lola, Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola

Lola, Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola

I pushed her away.
I walked to the door.
I fell to the floor.
I got down on my knees.
Then I looked at her and she at me.

Well that's the way that I want it to stay.
And I always want it to be that way for my Lola.
Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola

Girls will be boys and boys will be girls.
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world. (except for Lola)
Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola

Well I left home just a week before.
And I'd never ever kissed a woman before.
But Lola smiled and took me by the hand.
And said: "Dear boy I'm gonna make you a man."

Well I'm not the world's most masculine man.
But I know what I am, and I'm glad I'm a man and so's Lola.

Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola

Lo-lo-lo-lo-Lola...

:devilish:

I've actually done that a few times when pissed:LOL:

Hmm, enough of this public humiliation.....

rofl.gif

...ok, not strictly risk:reward but I like the comparison... i heard the chances of dying or being killed en route to/from buying your lottery ticket is higher than winning. (Needless to say, I don't do the lottery ;-)

... but wouldn't approach a girl in a bar to ask her out when the risk:reward is probably 1:20 (risk = embarrassment for 5 minutes; reward = potential date).

1:20? Are you that good looking? For normal people like us it's more like 100:1.

Most people have better chance trading their way to riches than going out on a date with a model type girl (not an arranged date I mean).

Ah, but we're talking about risk:reward, not probability. ;)

Risk = small, reward = big.

Probability: not a f'ing chance. :cheesy:

UTB,

You didn’t take afternoon tea with her parents beforehand? That is not how a polite young gentleman behaves. I trust you saw the errors of your ways. Or perhaps you're a radical?

Grant.

1:20? Are you that good looking? For normal people like us it's more like 100:1.

Most people have better chance trading their way to riches than going out on a date with a model type girl (not an arranged date I mean).

And they have 100% chance of be'dding a 'model type' girl once they trade themselves to riches.