Risk Calculations wonky?

AngryErik

13 0
Hi there... looking at the Blackberry stock on the TSX, with the present values:

BB SEP 20 '13 $22 PUT has a bid of $8.85.
BB SEP 20 '13 $10 CALL has a bid of $5.45.

Position would be to Short 1:1 a CALl and a PUT. (Short Gut spread)

With the closing price at expiration inside the $10-$22 price range, I can see that I'm buying shares for $13.15 with the PUT, and selling them for $15.45 with the CALL.

With the price above $22, I'm shorting 100 shares at $10, but collecting $14.30 in premiums, which would mean I wouldn't start losing money on the up-side until $24.30+.. granted if they do well it could easily explode past this to $30 or even $60 in an extreme case.

With the price below $10, I'm buying shares for $13.15, but collecting $14.30 in premiums which means that even at $0 a share I'd still be making money.

Is my risk analysis right? Is there really only a dramatic upside risk?

Last edited:

AngryErik

13 0
With the price below $10, I'm buying shares for $13.15, but collecting $14.30 in premiums which means that even at $0 a share I'd still be making money.

Ah, I see the error in my calculations. I'm double-dipping on the PUT premiums for the downside risk. I'd be buying the shares for $22, and collecting the premiums of $14.30, for a downside BEP of $7.70.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock