Revisiting 'Price Action'

Hi pttrader,
The answer to your question is that they're crafty sods!

If you try and sell 75.000 ES contracts in 20 minutes - you'll move the market big time as we witnessed on flash crash day last May. Apparently, that size of the sell order isn't a problem and had it been executed over the course of the day in dribs and drabs rather than all in one hit - then the flash crash would never have happened.
Tim.

Tim - volume on the S&P is 2 million per day.

75,000 in 20 minutes is a fair amount but there's no way it'd cause a crash as I see this kind of volume going off at key inflection points all the time. 75,000 contracts in 20 minutes is normal.

The first 10 levels of depth amount for usually 16-20,000 contracts. So - at any time, you could hit the market with 16-20,000 contracts in a second and you'd only be moving it 10 ticks by clearing out the levels. On big trend days, the markets can EASILY be net long 80,000 contracts and more in the first 30 minutes - it's one of the signs of a trend day forming.

If they'd said 750,000 contracts in 20 minutes, then indeed I would see that being an issue.

I think the real reasons for the flash crash will never be announced. The 'rumours' I heard were that there was a 3 pronged cyber-attack that day from London, Dubai and China. If that is the case, then indeed there is no way that this will reach the public domain through official channels.

Hi DT,
Yes, I rather agree with you.
I swallowed the official SEC line (as posted by BSD on the 'Everyone Hurts' thread) a little too quickly, without bothering to think it through. Your post with its annotated chart later on to that thread and pttrader's link earlier on to this thread casts serious doubts over the official SEC explanation.

The moral of the tale is never believe or trust anything you read about trading - until you've verified it for yourself - even if it's from a supposedly unimpeachable source like the SEC!
Tim.

I have been thinking twice about moving the stop to breakeven. It might not be such a bad idea, after all-

If the price goes beyond it and one has the conviction that the direction is correct, a better price can be obtained. This happened to me this lunchtime when FT spiked through my B/E stop at 5996.8 I got a better price, not much, this time, but at least I got stopped out of something scary and, now, I am making a profit without having to recover a loss.

This works better when you are there and can get back in. When you are not there it may not be such a good idea.

Last edited:
I have been thinking twice about moving the stop to breakeven. It might not be such a bad idea, after all-

If the price goes beyond it and one has the conviction that the direction is correct, a better price can be obtained. This happened to me this lunchtime when FT spiked through my B/E stop at 5996.8 I got a better price, not much, this time, but at least I got stopped out of something scary and, now, I am making a profit without having to recover a loss.

I tend to split my positions take half or third off at first target then move stop to BE and let the rest run. Some work out well, a few very well. Many get stopped out.
To me its the only carefree way to get a runner.

I tend to split my positions take half or third off at first target then move stop to BE and let the rest run. Some work out well, a few very well. Many get stopped out.
To me its the only carefree way to get a runner.

I've tried splitting but I always come home from work and get disappointed. I prefer taking a good profit and closing the trade. If it's a small profit I may leave it at breakeven but I don't, really, know why I bother. I nearly always get stopped.

Right, someone above mentioned re banks just buying buying buying as they don't care etc. and don't care where stops are. OK. Maybe, maybe not, the 'evil' big banks imagery may or may not be correct but it doesn't change the phenomenon. I'm not a highly verbal person so let's try to explain this another way:

We have a desk trader sitting with a shed load of orders to fill at 1.5 or as near as, that is the required price for the big client. Price has been trading sideways for a short period, more than likely on low volume (I only mention this because volume which has been brought in by someone else btw NOT what the thread is about, as I said b4 for spot Forex ain't no volume, other markets I know: different); as our trader buys price starts to rise rapidly. Why? No more sellers at 1.5 plus more buyers jumping on board noticing that price is rising, at the same time volume is likely to increase. Do we need to see volume increasing? No, it's right there in the price movement. OK. Price has moved up significantly but our trader still has a cr@pload of orders to fill, requested price 1.5. Price is a fair distance above 1.5. What happens next?
You're right we're not that trader and we're not in the pit but we can sure as hell see price behaviour right there on the bleedin' chart.

If you see an opportunity for an entry on the immediate retrace/spike and see a way to trade that then by all means trade that way. If you like to take on the risk inherent in taking a breakout then take that by all means but if you then move your stop to breakeven, don't be surprised if you get stopped out a LOT unless you're running pretty small profit targets. When price much later comes back to the area it's a different kettle of fish, it's still likely a demand area until it trades through but the orders there this time obviously will not be the orders from before.

I just wonder because nobody even mention Renko Charts.
But Renko charts are based on PRICE, not on TIME'
What Renko charts can show even without any indicators
1. trend
2. reversals
3. support and resistance levels
4. Buy/sell/exit signals
5. Actual volume

Artforextrading team

I just wonder because nobody even mention Renko Charts.
But Renko charts are based on PRICE, not on TIME'
What Renko charts can show even without any indicators
1. trend
2. reversals
3. support and resistance levels
4. Buy/sell/exit signals
5. Actual volume

Artforextrading team

Hmm. Already answered this but has been deleted. This one is spam too so why not this?

Anyway, not all market turning points are important. Without a time component you cannot see momentum. You also cannot see how long a time price was stuck at a level before turning. The longer it's stuck there the less important it tends to be as there was less of an imbalance of supply and demand. But hey there are some that so you can't trade without volume either so maybe you're right. Could we try it the other way and have charts filtered that do not show price, only time? Now that would be interesting.

"not all market turning points are important". Renko will filter that points.

"Without a time component you cannot see momentum" Only renko candles are forming without time but you have time on charts and you can see more clear how long a time price was stuck at a level before turning.

"Could we try it the other way and have charts filtered that do not show price, only time?"
For this purpose we can use our watches and close charts completely.

Artforextrading team

Right, someone above mentioned re banks just buying buying buying as they don't care etc. and don't care where stops are. OK. Maybe, maybe not, the 'evil' big banks imagery may or may not be correct but it doesn't change the phenomenon. I'm not a highly verbal person so let's try to explain this another way:

We have a desk trader sitting with a shed load of orders to fill at 1.5 or as near as, that is the required price for the big client. Price has been trading sideways for a short period, more than likely on low volume (I only mention this because volume which has been brought in by someone else btw NOT what the thread is about, as I said b4 for spot Forex ain't no volume, other markets I know: different); as our trader buys price starts to rise rapidly. Why? No more sellers at 1.5 plus more buyers jumping on board noticing that price is rising, at the same time volume is likely to increase. Do we need to see volume increasing? No, it's right there in the price movement. OK. Price has moved up significantly but our trader still has a cr@pload of orders to fill, requested price 1.5. Price is a fair distance above 1.5. What happens next?
You're right we're not that trader and we're not in the pit but we can sure as hell see price behaviour right there on the bleedin' chart.

If you see an opportunity for an entry on the immediate retrace/spike and see a way to trade that then by all means trade that way. If you like to take on the risk inherent in taking a breakout then take that by all means but if you then move your stop to breakeven, don't be surprised if you get stopped out a LOT unless you're running pretty small profit targets. When price much later comes back to the area it's a different kettle of fish, it's still likely a demand area until it trades through but the orders there this time obviously will not be the orders from before.

I understand what you are saying and I agreed until I had this exprerience to-day, when I realised that this had happened on previous ocasions. This lunchtime I got stopped on my BE and the price went lower. As it was a spike I wasn't quick enough to get in, partly because I was having lunch. Nevertheless, if my stop had been up to 27 points below my BE, I would have had to get that back. As it was, I did get back in about 2 points below. I've seen plenty of spikes, before, and decided that it had almost recovered. The trade was not fantastic but I was in profit for 15 points before I closed out.
I would have had to get that back-

I know that I was trading against the trend and I should not have done it. I was trying for a reversal and that's why I had my stop at BE. I could see that the main trend was down. That's another story. Here's my chart.

Attachments

• 11 FT Jan 7.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
I understand what you are saying and I agreed until I had this exprerience to-day, when I realised that this had happened on previous ocasions. This lunchtime I got stopped on my BE and the price went lower. As it was a spike I wasn't quick enough to get in, partly because I was having lunch. Nevertheless, if my stop had been up to 27 points below my BE, I would have had to get that back. As it was, I did get back in about 2 points below. I've seen plenty of spikes, before, and decided that it had almost recovered. The trade was not fantastic but I was in profit for 15 points before I closed out.
I would have had to get that back-

I know that I was trading against the trend and I should not have done it. I was trying for a reversal and that's why I had my stop at BE. I could see that the main trend was down. That's another story. Here's my chart.

Is that the hourly? There's both a long and short entry area there, downward momentum was slightly stronger than up but I'd say for the long entry back up to supply there's not much room for it to go anyway. What you need to do after finding the levels is look inside and find the entry at the micro level - i.e wait for upward momentum on the 5 min etc otherwise you're catching a falling knife. You might have got stopped anyway, not everyone is a winner as you well know :) The short around 6012 potentially was more likely to trade through the supply as it had already spiked all the way through it previously...even then though it didn't have very far to fall so maybe not worth the risk on either trade?

Can you see that if you were a breakout trader and had traded either the long or short breakouts you would have been stopped out both times on a b/e stop?

Is that the hourly? There's both a long and short entry area there, downward momentum was slightly stronger than up but I'd say for the long entry back up to supply there's not much room for it to go anyway. What you need to do after finding the levels is look inside and find the entry at the micro level - i.e wait for upward momentum on the 5 min etc otherwise you're catching a falling knife. You might have got stopped anyway, not everyone is a winner as you well know :) The short around 6012 potentially was more likely to trade through the supply as it had already spiked all the way through it previously...even then though it didn't have very far to fall so maybe not worth the risk on either trade?

Can you see that if you were a breakout trader and had traded either the long or short breakouts you would have been stopped out both times on a b/e stop?

30M bars.

I was trying for a breakout on the long side. I came out fairly well, not complaining but, once I got a profit I moved the stop to BE because I could see, by the averages, that this was a down trend in probability.

The post was really about the comments made previously about not moving the stops to BE because of the probability of them getting triggered. If BE stops do go then the chances could be that a re-entry could be made at a better price. That is not always the case but re-entry may not be too expensive in comparison to a loss that has to be got back.

@nunrygguy

(This is slightly off topic btw) but there is a recent thread on this forum that seems to advocate that higher TF (such as 1h, 4h etc) are better for trading that lower TF (such as 1min, 5min). nunrygguy do you agree with this view?

I am still classing myself as a newbie. I think PA with volume/momentum is all there is. The only problem is that even though the great past traders could read crowd behaviour, we have a lot of robots triggering trades now. It just makes PA trading decisions fuzzier. Is it better to use PA for daytrading ot long term trades? Thanks.

@nunrygguy

(This is slightly off topic btw) but there is a recent thread on this forum that seems to advocate that higher TF (such as 1h, 4h etc) are better for trading that lower TF (such as 1min, 5min). nunrygguy do you agree with this view?

I'm not really advocating anything different, I think the very first charts I posted which just showed some basic trend following were weeklies and dailies (or was it monthlies and weelies?). My view is you need to know what's going on in the bigger picture, take your significant price levels from what's going on in that big picture then take your entry based on what's going on on the micro level, big levels usually trump small levels but there is movement between the smaller levels until they are all cancelled out, then price moves to the next big level. I've not got into levels yet I know as I wanted to do this in a certain order but for me all the important ones start with a momentum breakout because that's where there is an imbalance between supply and demand.

If you're entering on the 5m or 15m you are STILL trading 1hr, 4hr whatever. As I've said, price and price levels are the same on all charts. I personally don't use price LEVELS for entry areas and targets from anything smaller than a 1hr viewpoint, price isn't going to do anything REALLY significant in a time period less than that but I do look 'inside' to see what's going on for entry. Just to clarify, you can find significant price levels from different chart viewpoints, the larger the chart the more significant the levels...why? Well think about the size of the levels and the difference between them and the amount of money it has taken to get from one level to the other. But PLEASE don't let it then fool you into thinking you are trading the xxx timeframe. Your aren't you are trading PRICE not a timeframe. I may have confused earlier on on this issue as my first charts were showing trend following and yes they did appear to use price bars BUT they were significant bars - monthlies and weeklies etc. I could have started with levels and momentum etc first but thought the way I started may help... Did last week close up? Did it close within the top third or so of the bar? Hmm Bullish close then (yes I know, opinion not fact, but it's an opinion based on fact) therefore this week, we're PROBABLY going to be bullish (unless we're hitting a big supply area). Why did I start how I did? To show some thinking on identifying turning points (although as later transpires I personally don't use all of them) and to give confidence in staying in a position for longer: don't a lot of people cut too soon? Does some simple 'trailing logic' help?

If you're looking at a price level you think is there on a 1hr chart and you see an entry and what you think will be an exit area that will give you enough for your risk, price comes down to your entry price area what do you then do? Just place an order or look to see how price is moving? What the best viewpoint of that? A small chart. What are you looking for on that chart? For price to turn around and show some momentum in your direction for one - and if it's doing this what are you also going to see...some short term supply/demand on that tiny timescale maybe? Will every entry be 'the one'? Absolutely not. That's why I advocate getting out as soon as a 5 min bar closes against if you're not up and waiting for the next entry:

But I've had two losers this doesn't work!

What's better two or three 6-10 pip losses followed by a profitable trade or a 150 pip loss (this is a '4 hour' trade with a potential win size of 200 pips right) ? (Comment: Yes I know that pips size will be differnt in the two examples but there again one is only givng you 1:1, the other potentially around 20:1)

But having a low win rate is psychologically difficult/damaging!

Not as damaging as losing your shirt.

Where's the stop? Think about average range on your entry chart and if you're wrong what's the best chance of getting out at b/e before your stop is hit? Do you move your stop? Hell no. Do you move your stop to b/e? HELL NO especially on 5min, almost guaranteed to get whipped. Hmmm. OK well how can I protect myself from the scenario of this trade going up a bit then coming back without moving my stop? Maybe have a think about average price? There may well be 3,4,5 entries down to that price on a 5 minute chart you absolutely don't just have to take one and stay in. Here's a thought, 5 min range is 8 pips, you use a 15 pip stop, trade one loses 3 pips, trade 2 wins +10 because price closes against. Price drops back and you enter again, same position size, same risk but now you can afford a 20 pip stop,at no more risk to your capital. Is it easier to hold with a bigger stop? Should be. Anyway, none of this really has anything to do with the thread:LOL:

The example of the failed trade this morning was trading the 30m chart but what I'm suggesting is not just blindly taking a trade at a level (you CAN but there are things to take into consideration such as smaller R:R - if you're happy staying with 2:1, 3:1 that's cool and workable, does keep the average win rate up too). I can't remember exactly what you put in your post now - did you get stopped out? Was the stop just below the supply zone? What was average range at that point? What did the 5 min chart look like? Did it gap? Which way did it gap? NFP anyway, hope you were using limits?

Just some things to ponder, not rules just things to think about and either take on board or discard because ultimately it IS about what works for you.

Last edited:
Right, Split. This is how I see it, I know always MUCH easier in hindsight:

ft.jpg

There's more entries there even just taking it on this chart than I've listed, more aparently profitable than not (whether they actually were I don't know), short entry number one straight after the green momentum bar, but it had made a base before coming back followed by the upward momentum, the market was showing its hand with an evident supply zone. I wouldn't have taken any though as there just isn't the range between supply and demand here for me. 2nd long entry playing on this chart only is the probable stop out as it spikes through the entire supply level, following this a short MAY fall through the level (in this case it did) as price has traded all the way through the level before coming back but it's a much riskier play, for us to know a level has truly gone price needs to go through it and close i.e. it's well and truly broken...so given that and if it isn't going to fall through but come back again the potential reward isn't there in this instance. Which leads on to something else I've not shown yet but we all know about and see all the time ...flips and just what is the first pullback...hmm???

Last edited:
Right, Split. This is how I see it, I know always MUCH easier in hindsight:

ft.jpg

There's more entries there even just taking it on this chart than I've listed, more a profitable than not, short entry number one straight after the green momentum bar, plus it had made a base before coming back I wouldn't have taken any though as there just isn't the range between supply and demand here. 2nd long entry playing on this chart is the probable stop out.

Thanks for your comments which were much appreciated. Hindsight is, always, very wise (I'm digging at me---not you!). I saw a shorting opportunity where you did not think it worthwhile, but I was sucked in by the possibility of a reversal when, really, I should have taken my profits and ran!.

Actually, my reason for staying in was that I thought that a big breakout on the long side was worth my risk, which I considered very small.

Thanks again.