Removing " mysearch now"

CityTrader

Established member
I seemed to have inherited some sort of spy ware " mysearch now" which tries to take over IE ( 6.0) and removes my googole, norton & ebay toolbar buttons and replaces them with " heck ooze" - obviously right clicking and removing "heck ooze" buttons and replacing the others isn't a major problem, but this bloody thing is getting hugely annoying.

I use spysweeper which at least stops mysearch now setting itself as the homepage, but in spite of running spysweeper, every time I open IE I get mysearch now toolbar. Does anyone know how to remove it?

TIA

Wayno

Rossored wow that was quick! unfortunately they must have moved onto a next generation since then- it doesn't appear under add/remove progs in control panel... still stuck with it..!

These are the fckers who have hijacked my IE !
http://srch.lop.com/privacy.html

Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. (The Run dialog will appear.) Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID\ {04079851-5845-4dea-848C-3ECD647AA554}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID\ {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects \ {04079851-5845-4dea-848C-3ECD647AA554}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar \ {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar \ WebBrowser \ {0494D0D9-F8E0-41AD-92A3-14154ECE70AC}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar \ ShellBrowser \ {0494D0D9-F8E0-41AD-92A3-14154ECE70AC}', if it exists.
Exit the registry editor.
Restart your computer.
Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
In Internet Explorer, click Tools -> Internet Options.
Click the Programs tab -> Reset Web Settings.

Once you've removed it, update and run Spybot and Ad-aware.
Protect your Home Page.
Use SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol ;)
ps. SpywareBlaster just updated

CT

Another weapon for your arsenal..... do a google for "Hijackthis" its a free tool for sorting out browser hijackers however once you have run it and got the scan results only check (tick) and remove the offending item (in your case MySearch) as it will list other running system items that you should keep, of course if you do see anything else that you recognise as "malicious" then nuke that too !

Hope that helps

I.T

PS : If you get stuck paste the scan results in a post on this thread and i'll let you know what to get rid of ( the scan will not reveal any personal/sensitive data and will be safe to post ) :)

Last edited:
City Trader, I'm pretty sure that the same problem as I had. I had no end of trouble trying to get rid of it, just none of the mainstream programs like adaware seem to fix it. In the end the only program that worked was one called Pest Patrol, details can be found here: http://www.pestpatrol.com/ - Good luck!

Oatman, 'fraid that didn't work, and my spysweeper never picked it up anyway!

Indextycoon " hijackthis" seems to have done the trick ( probably find differently next time I turn pc on!)

Thanks for all your help guys..

Yes i had the same problem with this little fu**er too!

I wasted 2 hours last Saturday morning trying to get rid of it without success........then I remembered that I could restore my computer to an earlier time with XP (help & support - undo changes to your system with system restore - restore my computer to an earlier time) this did work. May well face the same problem in the future though.

HiJackThis seems to be only a temporary fix - maybe I'll try the system restore. Dumb question, but will Lose any files I have made/saved/created since the restore date??

Hijackthis doesn't "fix" anything. You have to do the fixing. It only details the entries.

Best thing is to download Hijackthis http://radiosplace.com/ save it to a permanent folder for backup, post on http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?act=SF&f=25 and wait for expert assistance. You'll probably be asked to update and run Ad-aware and Spybot first.
Some additional settings for Ad-aware, run it in Safe ;)
While still in safe mode, scan with Ad-aware but make the following changes to the settings in Ad-aware.
-Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Press "Scan Now"
- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:
Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives... Fix everything it finds.

See you over there ;)

Last edited: