Remote Access

RobcPettit

Could somebody please point me in the right direction. Im using a desktop computer and there are times I cant use the computer. Mainly because its in the bedroom and 4/5 times a month my partner works nights and it would be inconsiderate of me to do so. Therefore Im thinking of purchasing a refurbished laptop to access my desktop. This is were I get lost. I dont want to share files, all I want to do is access my computer as if I was sitting at it, I thought I could use the desktops power, rather than worry about the power of the laptop. Is this possible. So far Ive looked at wireless connection, (which would be easier) or ethernet, but I cant quite crasp were to begin because most information seems to relate to internet or servers. Any advice would be helpfull
Regards Robert

Yes it is possible and you will need to setup your desktop for sharing. You can use wireless or ethernet to do this and it is not too difficult to achieve. If you look up networking in the Help file of Control Panel it pretty much explains it all. The one thing to watch out for is where you have a firewall as this can sometimes prevent networking between 2 computers.

PM

If you are using XP then its really easy.

Right click My Computer, choose properties, click the remote tab.

Tick the allow users to connect remotely to this computer.

On the laptop run mstsc and enter the IP address/name of your main machine.

Enter the username and password and volla!

JonnyT

Micro
Soft
Terminal
Services
Client

RDP / Remote Desktop to you and I.

JonnyT

It is mstsc.exe and is in the system32 folder.

Another option if you don't have XP on both is to use VNC. You can get it free from www.download.com

Do a search on there for Virtual Network Computing. Install the server on the desktop and the client on the laptop.

Thanks all for your replys. Im going to go the wireless route, purly for ease of installation and stick with xp on both laptop and desktop.
Regards Robert