Real time Fantasy Spread Betting Exist?

Chris2184

Hi,

Do websites with demo accounts exist with the following criteria...

(1) Pricing on a real time basis.
(2) Allows the user to use the demo account as long as they want. I.e no time limit of any kind.
(3) Fantasy trading capital

I want to learn to spread bet, but I don't want to risk real money for a long time. I want to learn at my own pace and not have a spread betting company call me in an attempt to get me to risk real money.

I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription. I figure the cost of a monthly subscription would be a lot less than I would lose spread betting as a beginner. If a website like this doesn't exist then it should. I reckon it would make money.

I'm aware of Bullbearings (not real time) and all the spread betting companies offering demo accounts, but the realtime ones usually come with a time limit on the demo account

Hi,

(2) Allows the user to use the demo account as long as they want. I.e no time limit of any kind.

I want to learn to spread bet, but I don't want to risk real money for a long time. I want to learn at my own pace and not have a spread betting company call me in an attempt to get me to risk real money.

I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription. I figure the cost of a monthly subscription would be a lot less than I would lose spread betting as a beginner. If a website like this doesn't exist then it should. I reckon it would make money.

I'm aware of Bullbearings (not real time) and all the spread betting companies offering demo accounts, but the realtime ones usually come with a time limit on the demo account
I do believe Capitalspreads have unlimited time demo account, at least they used to have it. A demo account is good in order to get to know the platform and to try out some strategies, but don't stay on it too long. It is not the same thing as trading live from an emotional point of view, in fact it is my belief that it can hurt your trading when real money are at stake. There are some micro accounts with very low entry level that doesn't let you risk a whole lot of money.

Apply proper risk and money management and you'll be fine, although be prepared to lose a bit of money the first years for educational purpose.:)

Hi,

Hi Chris

Most of the Spreadbetting and CFD firms will offer you a demo account with fantasy money.

The pricing on most of these demos will be live but the fills for your stop losses or after data may be slightly different.

This is because a demo account is intended to show case the functionality of the platform and the products within it. If you consider a platform may have 1,000 clients with 1,000 working orders on EURUSD for example it has to make hundreds of thousands of calculations every time a price changes to ascertain whether an order needs to be filled or not. That takes a lot of very expensive hardware to make sure it works properly and to go to that huge expense to make sure that demo accounts act in 100% the same way as a live real money account isn't something that most of the SB/CFD companies invest in.

The reason isn't because on a demo account they want to give you best fills over the figures to enhance your trading performance, its because they consider it more of a priority to allocate their resource to filling live accounts at proper levels. The demo account is there mainly to test drive the platform.

The spreads should be the same, the margins should be the same, the product list may not be as comprehensive on demo as it is in live but that may be because of exchange restrictions and the cost of redistributing that data. They wouldn't want to get a big exchange bill for redistributing data to demo accounts if they don't need to.

The problem comes when you want to use a demo to back test a strategy as the fills you get on a demo in this instance will certainly have an effect on the performance of your strategy.

the lifetime of a demo account will be different depending on the firm. Some will be indefinite and funded with what you choose whilst some may be for a short period with a set amount of money. Whatever length of time the demo account is available to you one thing is for certain where ever you go and that is you will get sales calls.

Demos are a client acquisition tool and they are expensive to run. It is imperative that a brokerage follows up each lead with a sales call. You can tell them not to contact you again or you can cancel the demo, but you will get at least one call.

The conversion of a demo account to a live account is really poor. It's only around 3% to 5% depending on the region. Its an important show case tool but as an acquisition tool its a pretty poor roi.

demo accounts are nothing like the real thing

totally different

no money so you do anything

no pressure

Has anyone just gone a bit mad and gambled a small real money account i.e. ~£1000 and just seen how far they can push the envelope with max leverage?

Has anyone just gone a bit mad and gambled a small real money account i.e. ~£1000 and just seen how far they can push the envelope with max leverage?
Most of us old timers, and add a couple of times.:D

Most of us old timers, and add a couple of times.:D

And how did it work for you? FoMo keeps talking about a "financial wall" did you or anyone experience such a thing?

When/if I get into the black it's the first thing on my list to be fair...

And how did it work for you? FoMo keeps talking about a "financial wall" did you or anyone experience such a thing?

When/if I get into the black it's the first thing on my list to be fair...
The only thing I experience was my account being blown up.:)
No forget about it, you might get away with it once or twice but at the end you will be wiped out due to normal market fluctuation. Risk and money management is the key, without it you will not be successful in trading.

Fair play.

But I still might have a crack at it, the way I see it ... I've lost plenty of £k in some really dumb trades over the past 12 months so I would be going into it with more open (and experienced) eyes, and only plan to put up what I can afford to lose. And I'll be sure to create a t2w thread to detail my humiliation in minute detail ;)

And @Chris2184 I'd recommend an IG demo account, as they don't appear to close them - whereas Capital Spreads do close the demo accounts after 30 days (or 30 days of inactivity) which is a bit of a pain.

Dont you just love it when you spend time writing out informative in depth replies to a question then the O/P never returns. :confused:

Hi,

I had a demo spread betting account with Accendo Markets. It had real time prices (from what I remember) and didn’t have a time limit. I say from memory as it was about 6 months ago that I stopped using the demo and went to a live account. They’re research is also pretty good!