Raniera: dead manager walking?

grubs50

Ranieri: dead manager walking?

The Chelsea manager has boxed himself into an impossible position by acting like a kid in a candy store..........buying and bidding 4 every player in sight........i have a feeling he won't be in charge by the start of next season cos Chelsea will still end up behind the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and probably Liverpool and Newcastle.

Last edited:
Hi Grubs

It depends on how he does - sounds simple I know, but now he's got the players there's no excuses for them not getting Champions League football next season.

The Champions league places could be a problem. Arsenal and Man U will no bout fill the top 2 spots and my beloved Liverpool and Chartman's Newcastle will fight out the next 2 spots, so in order for Chelski to get into the CL - they'll have to win it..........Unless Chartman, your team wants to sit it out next season ;)

u have good taste, FTSE Beater.........i hope the mighty reds have a great season.........we've had to wait 4 the title 4 too long......we might just do it if we can come out of our shells more at Anfield.

rumor has it the Russian owner is gonna give this coach another 100 million euros to spend on new players at the end of the year - that's providing the coach feels he needs them

and rumor has it, the Russian origianally approached Tottenham Hotspurs offering to buy them out but they said no

and more rumor has it that other Russian Oil Bois as well as South American Coke Bois are also looking to buy into this soccer business and again Tottenham Hotspurs is on the short list

personally, i wouldn't buy shares in any soccer club. All of them, even the successful ones, seem to be bleeding red ink like there's no tomorrow - look at Real Madrid!

Ranieri will need to keep players happy, win some silverware and qualify for the Champions League this season to keep his job.

I know very little about football and care less, but can you experts tell us which team and players were (allegedly!) in the Grosvenor Hourse last weekend? The way this is being handled just shows how crazy the laws about censorship really are. Virtually every football fan seems to know the inside story, but we IC readers are left in the cold!!! If the club is a plc shouldn't they at least put out an RNS?!!!

Rumour has it that it was Newcastle but there are a lot of high court writs being slapped all over the place, effectively gagging all the papers and media.

Thanks guys. I had wondered whether the 'Bobby Robson not to resign shock horror' story was in any way connected with this. Must be particularly sad for him, if true, given that the (alleged!!!) reason for the break up of his Ipswich squad was a number of heavy drinking Scots who, on the positive side, presumably never got it together to discover sex !!! Anyway, back to the IC!!!!

OK if we gonna talk about it, then rumour has it that Ashley Cole led some of the younger Newcastle players astray one night out on the town.

Carlton Cole from Charlton

Dyer, Bellamy, Ambrose, Jenas, Bowyer, Ameobi and Bramble from Newcastle

are all excellent soccer players :D

I'm sure you're right. And if they happened to play for the same club, and for whatever reason, they weren't able to do so for a while, and that club was a plc, what effect might that have on the share price, and shouldn't the plc be disclosing this potentially price sensitive information to shareholders? All totally hypothetical of course.

i can't comment on the legal situation here with scandals involving celebs blah but i do find it rather strange

back in Cali there's a huge rape trial involving Kobe Bryant who's a MAJOR sports star. He plays for the Lakers and when i say MAJOR i mean like HUGE

anyways, he's been accused of ass-raping some cheerleader chick and it's a similar story to this soccer one. The chick was working at the hotel that Kobe was staying at and consented to go to Kobe's room at MIDNIGHT and then 16 hours later she's screaming rape (and to be honest my initial reaction was KOBE=INNOCENT coz im biased being a huge Lakers fan but now i have my doubts)

anyways, as soon as the allegation was made, it was all over the TV and radio networks blah, and like i said Kobe is a HUGE star, he earns more bucks than the entire Newcastle team combined and i ain't kidding ya, but in spite of that - no anonymity for Kobe

i also recall another UK case of censorship involving an English soccer player - Michael Owens of Liverpool. Some time last year he was cheating on his preqnant gurlfriend banging some chick and doing drugs blah. The chick set him up, she had pics blah and sold her story to yuor News of the World. But Owens managed to obtain a court order to prevent the NOTW from publishing even thou the story was TRUE and the newspaper had photographic evidence

it seems to me that if yuo're an English soccer star, the English courts will protect yuo. If yuo're not important to the success of yuor national soccer team, then yuo=busted

something like that would never happen in the US

freedom of information and free speach blah are very important issues to Americans

Bluebelle said:
I'm sure you're right. And if they happened to play for the same club, and for whatever reason, they weren't able to do so for a while, and that club was a plc, what effect might that have on the share price, and shouldn't the plc be disclosing this potentially price sensitive information to shareholders? All totally hypothetical of course.

there's obviously a conflict between the LSE's disclosure rules regarding price sensitive info, and the law (and i'd be interested in knowing exactly which law) that is protecting the players from being identified in the media. Obviously the law of the England is overiding LSE rules

U got the same one- innocent in a court of law until proven guilty. Unfortunately in this counrty, the Press take great cheer from "trying" people in the paper- either by rumour, fact, or any other smut they can get their grubby little hands on..... Sadly the innocent suffer the dreadful consequences......

yeah i'm aware of the innocent until proven guilty blah

but it's legal to report a FACT that so and so is under investigation by the cops, Feds blah

when OJ murdered his wife and her boifriend, we had live TV footage of him making a run for it on the freeway with tons of cops in pursuit. Naturally the newscasters reported that he was being chased because he was suspected of the killings

up until that point, OJ hadn't been charged or even arrested. No anonymity for OJ... and we all know how that ended....

in the Michael Owens case, although there were pics of him snorting coke, there wasn't any criminal issue. The cops weren't involved. It was basically a kiss and tell story and yuor tabloids report those kind of stories on a daily basis (btw, i love the fact that yuor papers are allowed to show tits, in the US that's a no no)

i just find it werd and wrong that some minor TV presenter can have his love life splashed all over The Sun or the NOTW or whatever, and yet Michael Owens gets protection simply because he plays for the English national team

I thought OJ was not found guilty in a court of law so y r u stating emphatically that he murdered his wife?....

Agree with you. A few years ago when the UK press was controlled by a few 'barons' any scandal to do with the rich and powerful was kept out of print. Now sports stars are the new elite here. A free (and responsible) press with sanctions for abusing its freedom and responsibility is to my mind a better alternative to picking up nudges and winks in the traditional media and searching the internet for more facts.

grubs50 said:
I thought OJ was not found guilty in a court of law so y r u stating emphatically that he murdered his wife?....

just my humble opinion which btw is shared by the majority of Americans including OJ's lawyers
lol.gif