Best Thread Featured Quick reference for real trading profit. Tips that work

You also need a great sense of humour and be able to laugh at yourself and your worst trading decisions.

Get into the trades that you think they COULD work NOT the trades that you are SURE they will !!

IF you put yur Balls on the line, in the markets, you will have them taken off you promptly!!!!! (if you don't do your homework)

"It is better to be out of the market wishing you were in than in the market wishing you were out".

"A stop is a stop is a stop"

"You gotta be in it to win it"

Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.

Don't know if this is classed as a tip but anyway -

This is about a way to 'play' a real chart bar by bar to see if you made a reasonable decision to trade and if it worked out. So you want to go back a ways (try not to look at the result before you go back !) then go forward one bar at a time

When you scroll back / fwd on most software you get a few bars at a time (in fact some like FXCM don't even let you scroll !). So you can't control this 'olay' method.

Nothing magic but D4F has a slide bar AND arrow for scrolling. Use the slide bar to go back as far as possible then use the forward arrow to go forward one bar at a time.

The best rule for trading I've ever used (and I've used it for 20 years without fail) is:

Get out of all losing trades the day of entry.

Meaning, if you enter a trade and by the close it is a loser from the entry point, get out by the close. Even if it is a long term trade. If you have to get in again, fine. Over the long haul you will be "saved" many times by major breakout fakeouts which you will have gotten out of early.

Leonardo

Sounds like it could be good advice Leo.

I wonder how that would tranlsate into intraday timeframes?

Loser by the end of the first hour (for 15 min bars), end of the first 15 mins (5 min bars)?

Anyone on intraday use a similar strategy?

I enter and exit on th 5 minute bars, my stop trails to a couple of ticks above or below the previous bars high/low. I've lost count of the number of times this has kept me in profit longer and minimised losses.

Take swing entries on 60 min Woodies CCI 21,4,9 on candle charts(or what you prefer) 100 line crosses that converge with Kagi chart Stoch of RSI 13,7,6,2 in top and bottom extremes. Also use Kagi based Stoch RSI as your intermediate trend indicator, don't fight it!

Way too many cereal packet philosophy nuggets, enough, save it for Ophra. Let's share actual trading techniques, then try to knock the crap out of them. If robust, we can feel smug, if not, we can learn a lesson and turn it into a philosophical eulogy.

For day trading SP500, use 13 min candles against 5 min kagi for convergence. Entries on 13 min Woodies 21,4,9 100 line crosses in direction of kagi Stoch RSI 13,7,6,2 trend. Entries in line with the StochRSI direction pay better.

Big moves away from day's pivot can expect sharp pullback, all the SP traders carry the pivot numbers, they run the market, so don't ignore it. I only bother with main pivot, S & R's not so important. Use it like the light drawing the moth.

Look for sharp Woodies turns, rounded tops/bots not so profitable.

Bollinger bands to estimate limits on moves.

Day following inside day often has good reaction move, that shows clear 'as day' with this system.

Load up on the strong signals.

Feel free to kick the crap out of my technique, it helps, honest!

In order for the price to go up, the high of the previous bar must be broken, therefore use stop orders.

rog1111

From "Technical Analysisof the Financial Markets", JJ Murphy.

"Of the 12 systems tested from 1975-84, only 4 generated significant profits. Of those, 2 were channel breakout systems, and one was a dual moving average crossover system. A later article .... published the results of a more extensive study done on data from 1976-86 that compared 23 technical trading systems, Once again, channel breakouts and moving average systems came out on top".

With all the computing power, and sophisticated algorithms at our disposal, the simple stuff makes the most money !!

1: Trade with the trend
2: After periods of congestion, trade the Breakout.

I shall be ditching my computer for an A4 pad.
My mouse for a pencil.
My broadband for carrier-pigeons.

I think it is psychological for us to make things seem more complex than they really are.
It makes us feel as if we have "earned" the money.
( Look how much "work" I have put into this. I havent been following a line on a chart, honest ! )

Use whatever systems, indicators, and/or analysis that you like. Just make sure that the end result has you long when the price is rising and short when it is falling.

Show no fear, have no greed. But know when to quit. I have a determined level of loss, and when a (spread) bet reaches that limit I get out.
And ignore moving averages at your peril (oh Alizyme, how deeply you have hurt me ...)
And never binary-bet the FTSE on a Friday, especially on a witching day.
Read 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds'. Excellent!

All losses are permanent...

Hi all

For those who desire the patience to wait, wait, wait for the setup to be right, consider this...

You can watch 100 profitable trades pass you by and not lose a penny, but every loss is permanent.

Waverider

options said:
I would like to put together a one line reference board of traders
top tips.

No drawn out methodologies please. These are covered elswhere and can (in my case anyway) vanish from the brain the next day.

A short preface if need be, then the one line pearl of wisdom.

This way the one liners have more chance of staying inside the old grey matter.

Only tips that are in use today and are actually earning you a crust. For example... (Oh,and Naz? I know exactly what you are going to say...)

Being predominatly a short term daytrader with trades that in general last anywhere from 4/5 hours to as little as one minute means that the entry on some trades are crucial to profit. My tip?

Choose the direction; and buy or sell on a reverse bar. Less risk/more profit.