Question about dividends

Stoney_21

i bought my stocks back in September. when do i received the dividends and will i be notified? also are the dividends just added to the value of the stocks or are they distributed separately and then you have the option to reinvest them if you like?

i bought my stocks back in September. when do i received the dividends and will i be notified? also are the dividends just added to the value of the stocks or are they distributed separately and then you have the option to reinvest them if you like?

You receive the dividends only if they decide to pay them out. A company is not obliged to pay a dividend, and even if they do, its preferential that get paid first.

If your stocks are intent on paying a dividend, you can find out from their website or look through your research on the company, it will be there somewhere. Typically it will be twice a year, sometimes just once maybe even quarterly, its all dependent on the companyand sometimes like I say, not at all. Not all companies pay dividends at the same time.

whether they get paid, how they are paid and then distributed to you depends on whether you hold a nominee account with your broker or not. Did you receive the paperwork for the dividends? If not, then its a nominee account in which case you can decide how your dividends are paid. You can opt for reinvestment, or paid directly to your account. All depends on your broker.

Hope this helps