Psychology... the poll

Does psychology matter in trading?

• Total voters
my golly gosh --- how you boys do go on !

i would imagine that ANY discussion of psychology vs. aptitute, socio-economic class, education, being in the right place at the right time, exterior temperature in the region one lives (are BETTER traders from COLDER or WARMER climes, and since its pretty darn cold in Russia, do they make better traders ?), age, working class vs Harvard grad (is Wharton better in this case ?) or any of a zillion more things, should create some interesting discussion, and might even be worth a PHD disertation if one is bored, but WHY OH WHY BOYS do you always have to let the testosterone rise above your brains ?

which brings to mind an interesting conversation a few of us had at the session today ---=- since a man requires a tremendous amount of blood to raise the flag from half to full staff, we decided, considering the way men act, that all that blood OBVIOUSLY came from the HEAD, simply because you all become SO STUPID !

enjoy your discussion -- show live trades on a live trade thread, but leave the PHD disertation role model to a nice and clean scholastic bent !

hugs to you all, allthough that might get the blood rushing again !

mp
Not sure if you are directing this at me or not.....

I specifically have not entered into any pissing contest or testosterone fuelled ego driven live call contest.

All I have done is ask why new_trader saw fit to attempt to drag me into such a thing.

Cheers,
PKFFW

Not sure if you are directing this at me or not.....

I specifically have not entered into any pissing contest or testosterone fuelled ego driven live call contest.

All I have done is ask why new_trader saw fit to attempt to drag me into such a thing.

Cheers,
PKFFW
=============================================================

it was sorta . . . . . . . kinda . . . . . . . . non - directed and i know you have not !

mp

Why this attempt to bring me into the live call part? I have never claimed to be a consistantly profitable trader yet. In fact I have freely admitted on these boards that I am not consistantly profitable at this point.

And yet you feel fit to persistently argue..:rolleyes:

Thus there is no point in my trying to make live calls to prove something I have never claimed. Further, no where on here have I requested live calls from you.

No, the request (demand) for live calls was made by someone else. I thought it's only fair that my main antagonist should be included. Sorry if this offended you.

Nice to see you are consistent in your behaviour. Once again you have completely ignored a post of mine and decided misdirection is needed in an attempt to disguise this fact, thus trying to drag me into something I have no part in.

Why have you decided not to address my last post? Post number 289?

Cheers,
PKFFW

There is nothing worth addressing and as far as ignoring you, get used to it, that is the way it will be from now on. You may or may not be interested in what I have to say, but I am absolutely and utterly not interested in anything you have to say. Get it? Now, please put me out of your misery and ignore me too.

Cheers.

Last edited:
And yet you feel fit to persistently argue..:rolleyes:
I've never eaten a big pile of steaming Sh*t and yet I would argue it doesn't taste very nice
new_trader said:
No, the request (demand) for live calls was made by someone else. I thought it's only fair that my main antagonist should be included. Sorry if this offended you.
Didn't offend me, just didn't see why you felt the need to bring me into it.
new_trader said:
There is nothing worth addressing and as far as ignoring you, get used to it, that is the way it will be from now on. You may or may not be interested in what I have to say, but I am absolutely and utterly not interested in anything you have to say. Get it? Now, please put me out of your misery and ignore me too.

Cheers.
If you say so. ;)

Cheers,
PKFFW

Last edited:
Here are two questions for those who think traders are born:

(1) Can anyone become a Formula 1 driver?
I'm sure we can are all pretty much convinced that learning to drive is something almost anyone can learn, right?

(2) Why do so many people prefer to work in a pay job instead of being self-employed or starting their own business? Is it because you need the right genes for starting your own business?

Now, in both cases, you need some starting capital and have to put in a lot of time and effort before there's a chance of succeeding. Doesn't this sound awfully much like trading now. So, are self-employed businessmen born, are F1 drivers born,...? Ofcourse not, but what plays is big role is - like I said a zillion times before - the environment in which one grows up and develops.

See also here
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/30662-anyone-can-learn.html

Here are two questions for those who think traders are born:

(1) Can anyone become a Formula 1 driver?
I'm sure we can are all pretty much convinced that learning to drive is something almost anyone can learn, right?

(2) Why do so many people prefer to work in a pay job instead of being self-employed or starting their own business? Is it because you need the right genes for starting your own business?

Now, in both cases, you need some starting capital and have to put in a lot of time and effort before there's a chance of succeeding. Doesn't this sound awfully much like trading now. So, are self-employed businessmen born, are F1 drivers born,...? Ofcourse not, but what plays is big role is - like I said a zillion times before - the environment in which one grows up and develops.

See also here
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/30662-anyone-can-learn.html

Fw

I think you are born wanting to or not, the best just really want past anything most could imagine. They will just search to find what they can excel in.

Read Jonny Wilkinson kicked balls over the posts till 2am in the morning when all was not well :eek:

Alex Higgins played snooker from dawn till dusk each and every day

Special, away on their own, they need to do it

latter:clover:

Born V's Nurture???

I believe that this conversation will go on for as long as there are human beings being successful in one field and failing in another.

Without sitting on the fence but instead coming to a realistic conclusion: People born into success have a general greater chance of success, although this doesn't mean they will achieve it.

People born into poverty certainly have their work cut out but does not guarantee they'll fail.

I'm at the understanding that instead of Born V's Nurture, it would be far more befitting to say Born AND Nurtured has a fantastic chance of success.

Born and Un-Nurtured has a struggle for success.

Unborn and Un-Nurtured obviously has zero chance of success.

The thing is,....can you be born to be a successful trader,....and never become a successful trader?

To be honest guys, i was born with the knowledge of the equation of everything,.....i just can't remember it! Doh!

Interesting and very true points you've both bought up.

I 'could' be the next best painter since Van Gogh.
My only draw back is that I dont enjoy it so although I 'could' have an unrealised talent, I'm not prepared to do the practice to make perfect exercise to become that next potentially great artist.

So in principle I could be but factually will never be due to not wanting to put in the effort needed.

This obviously is an example but you get my point.

Some people are better at things than others for some obvious reasons, the one reason that always sticks as being the greatest is not being bothered to. This always seperates the winners from the losers.

Again another example (please excuse me for picking on just the one) , A quadriplegic person could climb one of the highest mountains better than I could climb a hill. (Reference only) Vertical Challenge - A Quadriplegic's Rock Climbing Odyssey and I'm full able bodied. I'm sure though given the drive to wish to succeed and the want to achieve I 'could' potentially be better than this guy.

It's unlikely due to the fact I lack both the motivation and the will to succeed to be able to achieve this.

Same could be said in trading, obvioulsy it's not just the motivation and the will, but one thing is for sure: you need both to be long term and successful. Without, failure would set in and greatness would only be achieved purely derived from luck.

Motivation and the will to succeed has to come before the will and motivation to take money from the markets or start trading. The motivation and the will has to be focused purely on learning and wanting to achieve before one even thinks of opening an account. Only then once this has been done can one go onto greater things.

Michelangelo didn't start his career wanting to paint the sistine chapel, he simply wanted to paint well.(Reference only) Michelangelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, it is my belief that I could have been and still could given time better at something else. Maybe I'll be the next Warren Buffett , or maybe I've reached my pinacle where trading is concerned. Maybe in a few years (maybe monday) will start to fail at trading and maybe that could be the turning point in my life where I pick up that paint brush for the very first time.

Born AND Nurtured seems to be the most successful of the lot.
See the first paragraph:Nature vs Nurture - How Heredity and Environment Shape Who We Are

Interesting and very true points you've both bought up.

I 'could' be the next best painter since Van Gogh.
My only draw back is that I dont enjoy it so although I 'could' have an unrealised talent, I'm not prepared to do the practice to make perfect exercise to become that next potentially great artist.

So in principle I could be but factually will never be due to not wanting to put in the effort needed.

This obviously is an example but you get my point.

Some people are better at things than others for some obvious reasons, the one reason that always sticks as being the greatest is not being bothered to. This always seperates the winners from the losers.

Again another example (please excuse me for picking on just the one) , A quadriplegic person could climb one of the highest mountains better than I could climb a hill. (Reference only) Vertical Challenge - A Quadriplegic's Rock Climbing Odyssey and I'm full able bodied. I'm sure though given the drive to wish to succeed and the want to achieve I 'could' potentially be better than this guy.

It's unlikely due to the fact I lack both the motivation and the will to succeed to be able to achieve this.

Same could be said in trading, obvioulsy it's not just the motivation and the will, but one thing is for sure: you need both to be long term and successful. Without, failure would set in and greatness would only be achieved purely derived from luck.

Motivation and the will to succeed has to come before the will and motivation to take money from the markets or start trading. The motivation and the will has to be focused purely on learning and wanting to achieve before one even thinks of opening an account. Only then once this has been done can one go onto greater things.

Michelangelo didn't start his career wanting to paint the sistine chapel, he simply wanted to paint well.(Reference only) Michelangelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, it is my belief that I could have been and still could given time better at something else. Maybe I'll be the next Warren Buffett , or maybe I've reached my pinacle where trading is concerned. Maybe in a few years (maybe monday) will start to fail at trading and maybe that could be the turning point in my life where I pick up that paint brush for the very first time.

Born AND Nurtured seems to be the most successful of the lot.
See the first paragraph:Nature vs Nurture - How Heredity and Environment Shape Who We Are

Yes, and I am the worlds best lover and it's the momentous misfortune of womankind that I never got the opportunity to prove it rather being being consigned to a small entry in the Guinness book of records for the modest ability of employing flatulence to extinguish candle flames at 50 paces. Obviously grounds for further investigation into the correlation between these two 'gifts'.

Anyone who thought an individual's mental state had nothing to do with their success at trading needs to take a look at recent threads started by a certain mediterranean trader. It's like a live case study. :D

Anyone who thought an individual's mental state had nothing to do with their success at trading needs to take a look at recent threads started by a certain mediterranean trader. It's like a live case study. :D

Commonly known as Spanish practices.....:)