Problem with YouTube Preview

RichieE

I've noticed that when a YouTube video is posted, a preview is shown. However, when you click on the play button you get an error message "We're sorry, this video is no longer available".

See this post to see what I'm talking about...

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/jokes-humour/27706-dangers-day-trading.html#post377680

To view the video just go to the YouTube website and search for "When It All Goes Horribly Wrong - Day Trader".

I'll look into what the problem is here, should work fine embedded directly I to the page.

Okay I've got to the bottom of this. Basically this video isn't allowed to be embedded in websites outside of youtube.com (probably the author chose it this way) - you can see confirmation of this when you visit the page on youtube, on the box on the right it says 'Embedding disabled by request'. So unfortunately we can't do much about this, as there's no way for us to know if embedding is disabled and we embed everything automatically. If anyone posts a youtube video and it doesn't work then you can still view the video by double clicking the preview box (not the play button), or by appending to the url this code:
HTML:
&rel=1&border=0

Okay I've got to the bottom of this. Basically this video isn't allowed to be embedded in websites outside of youtube.com (probably the author chose it this way) - you can see confirmation of this when you visit the page on youtube, on the box on the right it says 'Embedding disabled by request'. So unfortunately we can't do much about this, as there's no way for us to know if embedding is disabled and we embed everything automatically. If anyone posts a youtube video and it doesn't work then you can still view the video by double clicking the preview box (not the play button), or by appending to the url this code:
HTML:
&rel=1&border=0
Thanks Sharky, is there a way to post a YouTube video as a URL but overriding the preview mode? In that way I won't confuse anyone...

Yeah there is - as indicated above, you have to append something to the url (i've used the '&rel=1&border=0' because it's what youtube recommends when embedding videos outside it's site, but in fact you can use any addition parameter, and it should override preview mode, ie. '&joebloggs=1', doesn't make any difference what it is.

See what I've done with your original video post to keep it as a link.

Unfortunately this is the only way at the mo (yeah - i know it's complicated!) :(

Thanks Sharky,

I've just seen what you've done to the original post. That's exactly what I was actually trying to do with my original post. I'll know for next time.