Private Journals

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worth noting that T2 is ranked almost twice as high as BMT and has been steadily rising since last spring, whereas Boulter's site has been steadily declining since last October.

BMT forum is higher quality than T2W hands down

What a shame for T2W. Do you think it might be connected with the gradual, inexorable departure of members from here, some of whom are now active members there instead? Do you think there's anything simple and obvious they could immediately do, to change that?

but it is still a forum full of vendors , closet vendors and ads .

Interesting, though, that people banned from there for "vendor promotion" come here, do exactly the same, and are welcomed?

The self-perpetuating outcome of that reminds me a little of the title of that famous C.P. Snow essay: The Two Cultures. :|

It's worth noting that T2 is ranked almost twice as high as BMT and has been steadily rising since last spring, whereas Boulter's site has been steadily declining since last October ...

... says the man banned by Michael Boulter a couple of weeks ago. No sour grapes, though, I'm sure. :eek: :D

Reactions: tar
The only people who know what a forum's traffic is are the people with access to the forum's server logs. Third-party "assessments" of it are notoriously unreliable. And in any case, short-term traffic is hardly the main point, here. We're talking about quality of content, member contributions and the reasons people regularly state for being driven away from this forum.

Often, yes. Not this time, though. Here, they're the "silent majority", who have become silent by leaving and going off to other forums where they happily post without promotion or rudeness, and prefer the atmosphere there, and they say so openly, and explain why.

So are we to understand that you are the self appointed mouthpiece for a large number of members who have remained silent and left to join other forums?

If so please list the members who you represent

This place is a shadow of its former self, while some of its more recent competitors are flourishing and expanding.

Please provide statistical proof of this as BMT is absolutely full of vendors so no real difference and if that is the case then maybe it is time you left here and went and joined all of these former members who have such a great time posting on other forums.

Nobody's criticising the moderators, here.

Is this a serous comment? You have posted many times in a way that implies that the moderators are not doing the job that are appointed to do. The comments suggest that they should be using more discretion to act on the agenda that you post so clearly about.

From what we can see they act based on the site rules and those allow a post as long as it is not an obvious advert with links to a promotion or their own site.

The only people who know what a forum's traffic is are the people with access to the forum's server logs. Third-party "assessments" of it are notoriously unreliable. And in any case, short-term traffic is hardly the main point, here. We're talking about quality of content, member contributions and the reasons people regularly state for being driven away from this forum.

Nothing short-term about it. But if you love BMT, I couldn't be happier for you.

Let me make it really clear, we won't be amending or scrapping the moderation permission in the journals forum. They've been that way for as long as I can remember, and they'll stay that way for the foreseeable future. The whole idea when we set up the journals this way was to allow a member to own a thread, and have the ability to curate it as they saw fit. In a similar way as anyone with a blog has ownership of their posts and can determine whether others may comment. This is a single forum on the site, we're not about to roll it out to any other forums. We explicitly show a notice at the top of every thread in the forum, that says "This forum allows members to create restricted threads. Thread starters can choose to allow replies from members on their contact list, or disallow replies from members on their ignore list.". So it's clear to new and old members alike how it works. All posted still must abide by the site guidelines and if for any reason you suspect a journal is breaking the rules, every member still has the ability to report it.

If you object to a journal and feel compelled to comment, I'm sorry but you can't, that's the nature of the journals, I suggest, as dbpheonix pointed out, you use the ignore feature to remove it from your view.

Given that this topic isn't up for debate, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.