Fundamental Analysis Swing & Position Trading Price / Earnings Hybrid Strategy

It is appreciated that Trade2Win is first and foremost a "technical analysis" site. Those that know of me from T2W may be aware that my methodology is one of "fundamental analysis". From this rather black and white perspective, what do I have to offer the committed technical analyst? I offer you the
price/earnings ratio.

The P/E ratio, as it is more commonly referred to, lends itself well to the non-financial analyst for a number of reasons. I shall suggest a methodology that is hybrid in nature, combining the P/E ratio (exclusive of any knowledge, or reference to, the financial statements) with a technical chart that acts as a filter for the P/E ratio, imbuing the P/E's calculation with a factor of safety. We shall end up with a methodology that has been statistically tested through 60 years of varied market conditions, returning on aggregate 24% actualised returns. Still interested?

The P/E ratio is derived from the current market price for the common stock, divided by the earnings. The "earnings" can take one of three types (expressed as "per share" ) :

1. "TTM", or trailing twelve months, i.e. the last four quarters' earnings.
  2. "Current", from the last "year?s" earnings as per the "Annual Report".

3. "Forward", on projected earnings for the next financial year.
Which format to use? Traditionally, analysts would use "current" earnings. This is probably less true today, as the emphasis has shifted to "forward" and "TTM". I recommend, of course, referring to "current" earnings. The reasons are quite technical, and it is beyond the scope of this article to explore them in detail. It is however relevant to provide an explanation, as we are putting into operation a "contrarian" strategy, and therefore wish to avoid the crowd.

Embedded within a low P/E ratio are some powerful psychological truisms that can benefit the conservative trader. The market has made, and is making, some very definite statements within a low P/E ratio. Let us examine them in some detail. The market has passed judgment upon this common stock thus:

• Poor growth prospects and poor earnings expected in the future
  • The industry has poor growth prospects and poor earnings expected in the future
  • There is a decreasing trend of earnings; this company, and industry, may be finished.
  • This stock and industry are boring
  • No analysts follow this stock and it's not worth paying attention to.
  • Neglect, generally, as a second tier stock.
Low P/E stocks have some pitfalls and traps that you must be aware of. The dependability of the earnings cannot be relied upon. Accounting tricks and artifices can seriously distort earnings, upwards, or downwards. Without a thorough and penetrating analysis, aberrations will slip through undetected and even with said analysis, mistakes can still be made by the analyst. Again, due to the limited space available in the article, a detailed explanation of the methods used to detect these distortions is inappropriate.

However, all is not lost. An effective filter exists: the price chart. The specific pattern that will be employed will in most, if not all, cases eliminate the need ever to look at a financial report; this combined with adequate diversification provides excellent risk management. By taking this approach (chart analysis combined with adequate diversification), we can therefore dispense with the requirement of reading the annual report, or performing ratio and commonality analysis. The effect is to avoid jumping onto the issue on the basis of good news, and eliminating the risk of too much money in one stock.

The historical statistical research was completed by FAMA & FRENCH and the current research to the present by myself. From an equally weighted portfolio of common stocks, returns are as follows:

1952 - 200124.11%
1952 - 197123%
1972 - 199019%
1991 - 200127%
From an industry perspective (2001 - 2005):

IndustryP/E ('01)P/E ('05)
Power6.9418.40
Steel7.988.80
Homebuilding9.6440.40
Electric Utility10.1820.70
Auto-parts10.7533.00
Tobacco10.8215.40
Insurance10.908.10
Apparel11.1819.70
Home Appliance11.7018.90
Thrift11.9720.80
Average10.2020.40
Average change 100%
What we see is the law of large numbers. The returns from the industry far outstrip the aggregate return on individual stocks. For the P/E to double, the price must double, with earnings remaining static. Therefore we have an increased return, with increased safety due to the principle of diversification.

IndustryP/E ('01)P/E ('05)
Newspaper41.1421.70
Entertainment41.4324.60
Telecomm43.1416.50
Precision Instruments44.1717.20
Semiconductor47.1043.50
Publishing49.0616.80
E-Commerce50.32?
Cable TV53.490.00
Wireless Networking60.49182.00
Chemical60.7617.70
Now, we can see from the above results that in 4 years the leaders fell, and the laggards improved. This has been a consistent finding, statistically demonstrated by FAMA & FRENCH in their results that almost cover a 60 year period.

Diversification, as a way of reducing risk, was adopted from the insurance industry. Actuarial tables were compiled on mortality rates, incidence of fires per 100 households and weightings for "moral hazard" calculated. The resulting calculation provided the premium that would need to be charged, to ensure an "aggregate" profit for the insurance company. This methodology was successful, and has stood the test of time within the insurance industry. This principle has been almost universally accepted within the investment community for the management of risk. Today it is possible to buy "ETFs", or Exchange Traded Funds, for diverse industries. This is a cheap and very effective way of practicing diversification with absolutely no effort.

In summation: We buy an ETF for an entire industry. We buy a low P/E ratio industry ETF only. We can buy multiple low P/E ETFs, where "low" means a P/E of <10. We time said purchase using qualitative judgement of the chart pattern. No stop loss is required as we eliminate attrition of our capital immediately. We reduce trading costs substantially. No specialized trading platform is required.

When do I buy? Assuming the relevant P/E ratio is favourable, observe a weekly or monthly chart. If the chart shows consolidation, is in a trading range, is boring and doing nothing much then the crowd is absent and it is safe to enter because you have beaten the crowd to the entry. Now you just wait. No need for a stop loss (provided that you are diversified). No manic entries or exits, just sit there until up it goes, and you sell out to the arriving crowd.

When do I sell? If the research is correct, and at this point there is no evidence to contradict the findings, very aggressive traders will sell when they have a 100% improvement in the P/E on purchase price. Conservative traders or investors may settle for a 50% improvement in the P/E ratio. A third selling point would be a historically high P/E. If we bought at a P/E of 8, and historically the industry never went above a P/E of 15, we would not hang on waiting for a P/E of 16. We would sell at 14. Either way, the returns are satisfactory. Or, from a technical perspective, when you encounter a significant point of resistance, on a weekly or monthly chart.

What else is required? Patience!

Let's take a chart example.

XLF.gif
caption: XLF exchange traded fund

Here we have a monthly chart of a US banks ETF, and in late 2002 / early 2003, when banks were in the grip of the bear, the P/E (though not marked on the chart, unfortunately) was considerably <10, signalling a screaming buy. Does the chart agree? I would say that it does, as by early 2003 there is an obvious, albeit wide, trading range in play and there was plenty of time to buy in this range before the subsequent uptrend. Remember that with no stop loss in place, the gyrations within the range would not have shaken us out of position.

At the time of writing, the P/E ratio is >11 and thus no longer fulfils our buying criteria. However, around $28, the P/E just qualifies and this coincides well with the approximate bottom of the chart consolidation pattern between $27 and $30, thus presenting another buying opportunity.

Unfortunately this example does not appear in the industry sectors that were compared and contrasted previously. However, as this is a current example as of June 7 2005, it will be very easy to track and monitor the results going into the future.

Real time examples are much more interesting than historical and hindsight examples, although from a research perspective they are vital as a starting point. This strategy is suitable for the risk averse trader or investor who requires higher than average returns, but with minimal risk and effort. It provides enough intellectual stimulation to keep you engaged with the market, yet avoids the often stomach churning adrenaline of the short term trader. All that remains is for the individual to test it in real time for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
the blades

Psychological extremes are always a good place to be in the market.
The P/E ratio is just a way of measuring the extreme to the downside, and going in the opposite direction.

LION

I personally prefer "CURRENT" rather than "ttm", and avoid "projected or future" P/E's, they are dangerous.

cheers d998

Ducati,

I am not talking about future/projected earnings. Company X has a 31 December end of year and you are analysing the company in September, do you use the 31 December figures or June to June? On the other hand, do you choose to exclude the prior half year and add in the new one? That is what I meant by - rolling PE ratios.

LION

No, I realised you were referring to ttm earnings, I prefer Current earnings, or in your example the last full years earnings.

So Dec 31 2004 Annual report, if looking at a company for analysis today.

The reason that I am not terribly interested in Quarterly results are for the distortions that are manifest within the Income Tax, Working Capital, Surplus, Interest, Subsidiaries, and potential Off Balance sheet entities and Writedowns. These will all be disclosed in much greater detail in the 10-K report.

The reason for the price chart as a filter is to avoid the need to look at or understand the implications involved.

This is because the "Price" in consolidation will represent the activities of value hounds as myself who will break each company down, therefore the price chart represents the class of investor that is looking at SAFETY first, and returns as a SECONDARY.

cheers d998

Ducati

Thanks for publishing your strategy which I find very interesting.

Ive been looking for the article by F&F on the internet but no luck so far. Is it ' The Equity Premium' in which case I think it may only be available in the Journal of Finance of which Im not a member.?

Im interested in their results as the main work on PEs Im familiar with is O'shaughnessey's 'What Works On Wall Street ' in which he looked at numerous strategies for the period 1951 to 1996. He took common stocks with low current PEs and found them to have a compound annual return of around 12% together with a rather high standard deviation.
Could you say specifically how F&F's methodology differs from OS, as I take it from your article that it involved some form of diversification, but not I take it the technical filter you use?

I am particularly interested in how different strategies cope with market risk. In WWOWS OS provided the figures for each year for each strategy between 1951 and 1996; this enables one to assess how the strategy performs relative to the market in any particular year. What is interesting is that a lot of the most successful strategies have both a high upside beta but also a high downside beta
Id like to know if F&F supply these annual figures so that one could make the same assessment?
And I would be particularly interested to see the returns for each of the years you have been implementing your hybrid strategy in order to judge the market risk, if you would be good enough to supply them?

OS found that value strategies were invariably greatly improved by adding a momentum stategy to them--eg for low PEs he found using only those with the greatest yearly momentum produced a compound annual return of 18%. Have you ever used such a type of filter - eg to wait to go long until the low PEs break out of the consolidation pattern you describe?

Lastly, do you know of any accesasible source for the F&F article- if not, any chance of uploading it or the relevant bits ?

Thanks again

Blipper

blipper

No I haven't had any luck via the internet either. Yes it was the Journal of Finance.

I sourced my reference from originals, which was "Eugene Fama & Kenneth French" " The Cross-section of Expected Stock Returns" Journal of Finance 47 (June 1992) pp 427-465

There are many studies done in this field, I have work in which the results go back to the 1900's.

The idea of diversification was not specifically referred to, or actively practiced by Fama & French, they simply took all the low PE stocks and aggregated the results, which is diversification in net result. Therefore, to reproduce the findings diversification must be a component.

If you pick and choose your low PE selections, that is add the component of "selectivity " to the portfolio, then you will expose yourself to the " risk of unreliable earnings ", unless you are experienced and knowledgable enough to pick up the anomalies via the 10-K.

The technical filter is added for chart based traders to identify a true high probability set-up, with a fundamental filter used as an indicator and remove the need assuming diversification is employed, any further involvement with either chart reading, or analysis of the 10-K

What is interesting is that a lot of the most successful strategies have both a high upside beta but also a high downside beta

This has been the subject of much debate and controversy, and Fama certainly had much to say regarding beta. I'll have a read through, and present some of the pertinent arguments.

And I would be particularly interested to see the returns for each of the years you have been implementing your hybrid strategy in order to judge the market risk, if you would be good enough to supply them?

I do not use charts at all.
I most certainly do buy low PE stocks. But I filter them via the 10-K reports. I will buy individual companies, diversified via selectivity, not via a general buy.

OS found that value strategies were invariably greatly improved by adding a momentum stategy to them--eg for low PEs he found using only those with the greatest yearly momentum produced a compound annual return of 18%. Have you ever used such a type of filter - eg to wait to go long until the low PEs break out of the consolidation pattern you describe?

No. That way leads you back to the charts. Charts do not interest me at all. But if the results are improved, and you feel that is valid, then thats your choice.

Lastly, do you know of any accesasible source for the F&F article- if not, any chance of uploading it or the relevant bits ?

I'll see what I can do.
cheers d998