Forward p/e

fundjunkie

56 0
Hi,
Can someone clarify what forward p/e means please? I assume it means p/e ratio based on anticipated earnings versus the current stock price. Is that correct or is the calculation done differently?

Anyway, I assume the lower a company's forward p/e is the better? Am I right in thinking that forward p/e is a good gauge for buying a stock?

All help kindly appreciated,
D

Forest

3 0
Hi,
Your calculation is right. As to whether a low forward PE is good value, this could depend on a number of factors. A major factor is the expected growth in company earnings. The PE can be lower than market or sector average because the company's projected growth rate is lower than the average - for example, if you're looking at a forward p/e one year out, but the company is expected to generate static earnings for many years, the p/e may be low, but the share may still not be good value. If on the other hand the share has been underpriced by the market, the low p/e could be an indicator of good value.

Hope this helps.

RogerM

Established member
752 6
The forward p/e is a very crude tool. It's generally regarded as low if it is lower than the growth rate, so for a company expected to grow it's earnings by 10% in the next 12 months, a forward p/e of 10 or less may be regarded by some as good value. Remember though that some sectors have traditionally always traded on a low p/e, so the forward p/e of the stock you are looking at relative to the p/e of it's sector is also relevant.

For instance, Jarvis (JRVS) had a forward p/e of 8.8 at the end of 2002 which was low when measured against both the market and the sector. Price was £2.84. Was that cheap? If so it is cheaper now with a forward p/e of 4.75 and a price of £1.84. Doesn't necessarily make it a buy tho'. Particularly as I've just noticed that it's down 47 points today - about 26% - to £1.30.

Last edited:

PhilHughes

16 0
P/E Ratio

Could someone tell me where i can find (on the net) the sector P/E ratio's, i often use digitallook for such info, but can't seem to find the sector P/E's

Thanks

Phil

desfry

1 0
Only source of sector P/Es that I know of is the Financial Times Newspaper.
Please post here if anyone knows of an online source.
Des

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock