Positive Affirmations

new_trader

Legendary member
Before my last trading session I looked at myself in the mirror and told myself that because I have studied and practised I should be able to trade calmly and enjoy it. I also told myself it was OK to have a loss as they are part of trading, and that the markets will be there tomorrow. It really seemed to help. So I thought about recording some of my affirmations and dubbing them to music and playing them on my MP3 player. I have done that, but I also found a Traders Affirmation CD from a link someone else provided:

http://www.trading-naked.com/

I have bought it.

Does anyone else think that positive affirmations can be helpful to trading?

Probably can't do much harm, although I'm reminded of the chap who was phobic of traffic. Benefited from an excellent counselling session, on his way home he confidently crossed the road and got run over!

On a similar vein I once tried subliminal messages flashed for a millisecond onto your screen. This prog does it, you select wording and duration, frequency, font etc.

http://infinn.com/subliminal.html

I can pull the trigger.....(trade trigger that is)

Before my last trading session I looked at myself in the mirror and told myself that because I have studied and practised I should be able to trade calmly and enjoy it. I also told myself it was OK to have a loss as they are part of trading, and that the markets will be there tomorrow. It really seemed to help. So I thought about recording some of my affirmations and dubbing them to music and playing them on my MP3 player. I have done that, but I also found a Traders Affirmation CD from a link someone else provided:

I have bought it.

Working at becoming more positive will not do you any harm.

Apparently there is a order the way how human character develops.
here it is:
1-words
2-thinking
3-emotion
4-decision
5-action
6-habit
7-character

If the above is true starting a trade with a positive affirmations/words can only lead to
positive trading character.(over a time of course)

regards,

I also told myself it was OK to have a loss as they are part of trading, and that the markets will be there tomorrow. It really seemed to help. So I thought about recording some of my affirmations and dubbing them to music and playing them on my MP3 player. I have done that, but I also found a Traders Affirmation CD from a link someone else provided:

I have bought it.

I would say that it is OK to have losses, provided that they are kept small. That way, I can handle them, knowing that a good run will wipe them out. That is why I do not believe (now---I've changed:idea: ) in giving trades too much "breathing space". Big losses are the very devil to correct, a waste of time and can be, which is what this thread is about, very worrying.

So, to help with positive affirmations, we have to eliminate the negative aspects of trading.

Split

Robert Shiller

I listened to Robert Shiller, professor at Yale, discuss the economy on wallstradio.net. Great interview!

Great CD

I have bought it.

My CD has arrived and I am listening to it now. BRILLIANT!

Worth the ~£12

..also told myself it was OK to have a loss as they are part of trading, and that the markets will be there tomorrow.

What bothers me is that in your sentence there are two entities at least, you and then you telling yourself stuff. It appears that one of these entities does not accept loses and does not realize markets will be there tomorrow and the other entity must tell it so.

This is quite bothersome to me. One person in reality, but the person must tell himself to accept obvious things. The contradiction is as follows:

If it is yourself that is telling yourself about those things how come then it is yourself who did not realize those things in the first place?

Please note I am not trying to be smart here. I spotted a huge contradiction in your statements and I am trying to find out what is going on.

Alex

What bothers me is that in your sentence there are two entities at least, you and then you telling yourself stuff. It appears that one of these entities does not accept loses and does not realize markets will be there tomorrow and the other entity must tell it so.

This is quite bothersome to me. One person in reality, but the person must tell himself to accept obvious things. The contradiction is as follows:

If it is yourself that is telling yourself about those things how come then it is yourself who did not realize those things in the first place?

Please note I am not trying to be smart here. I spotted a huge contradiction in your statements and I am trying to find out what is going on.

Alex

Let me see if I understand, and if this clears it up.

I look at myself in the mirror and say to my reflection, Quote: "You have studied and practised...etc"

end Quote:

It doesn't really work if you look at your reflection and say "I".

NB: The affirmations on the CD also begin with "You and/or Your or You're"

I have bought it.

I have never felt the need to do that. Do I detect some anxiety with your trading strategy. Are you nervous because you don't have the confidence in your strategy - or your ability to trade the strategy? Perhaps you are nervous because you are risking too much or you are placing unrealistic goals upon yourself.

Nobody likes to take a loss - but it's just another day to me. I have no targets - I just take watever I'm given +ve or -ve. I'm confident enough to shrug my shoulders because I know in the long term I'm making money.

I have never felt the need to do that. Do I detect some anxiety with your trading strategy. Are you nervous because you don't have the confidence in your strategy - or your ability to trade the strategy? Perhaps you are nervous because you are risking too much or you are placing unrealistic goals upon yourself.

Nobody likes to take a loss - but it's just another day to me. I have no targets - I just take watever I'm given +ve or -ve. I'm confident enough to shrug my shoulders because I know in the long term I'm making money.

I suppose it's like a mentor..

Let me see if I understand, and if this clears it up.

I look at myself in the mirror and say to my reflection, Quote: "You have studied and practised...etc"

end Quote:

It doesn't really work if you look at your reflection and say "I".

NB: The affirmations on the CD also begin with "You and/or Your or You're"

Ok, I understand what you do but not why you do it. It appears that there are two persons and one is trying to coach the other. But in reality there is only one person, you.

IMO, this whole thing sounds too metaphysical to me. The thing with the markets is whether you have a solid trading plan or not. Looking yourself at the mirror can reveal either a loser or a winner but cannot turn one into the other.

Alex

Ok, I understand what you do but not why you do it. It appears that there are two persons and one is trying to coach the other. But in reality there is only one person, you.

IMO, this whole thing sounds too metaphysical to me. The thing with the markets is whether you have a solid trading plan or not. Looking yourself at the mirror can reveal either a loser or a winner but cannot turn one into the other.

Alex

Alex,

Have you been successful from your very 1st trade?