Portfolios (S&P500, Nasdaq100. DAX, US Stocks)

Thanks for posting: I'll be following this thread with interest. Your style chimes with how I trade, which has evolved over 6 years in the market slowly realising that simple really is best.

Thank you.

UPDATE

Trades concluded $$

DxVrp.png

I think I'll buy again SIRI, but I still don´t know when.

Now, I buy other stocks.

Buy alert:

8X8 INC(EGHT) with emergency stop at 6,11.

DCT INDUSTRIAL TRUST INC (DCT) with emergency stop at 6,46.

I picked stocks that are also with the upward direction. The two stocks mentioned above increased their net cash provided by operating activities from 2010 to 2011.

Rule:
All entries and emergency stops must be sent to this " thread " , with a minimum of 5 minutes before the next market opening and automatically placed on the market after the market opens.

UPDATE

Portfolio 1: 1x DAX ETF Portfolio (100% of the benchmark's daily performance)
... uses ISHARES DAX (DE) (EXS1) ETF or DB X-TRACKERS SHORTDAX (DXSN) ETF
66kVb.png

Portfolio 2: 1x S&P 500 ETF Portfolio (100% of the benchmark's daily performance)
... uses S&P 500 SPDRs (SPY) ETF or ProShares Short S&P 500 Fund (SH) ETF
8iU8C.png

Portfolio 3: 2x S&P 500 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (200% of the benchmark's daily performance)
... uses ProShares Ultra S&P 500 Fund (SSO) ETF or ProShares Ultra Short S&P500 (SDS) ETF
BJHBP.png

Portfolio 4: 3x S&P 500 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (300% of the benchmark's daily performance)
... uses ProSharesUltraPro S&P 500 (UPRO) ETF or ProShares UltraPro Short S&P500 (SPXU) ETF
Ig1yf.png

Portfolio 5: 1x Nasdaq 100 ETF Portfolio (100% of the benchmark's daily performance)
... uses ProShares QQQ Trust (QQQ) ETF or ProShares Short QQQ Fund (PSQ) ETF
KFaN8.png

Portfolio 6: 2x Nasdaq 100 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (200% of the benchmark's daily performance)
... uses ProSharesUltra QQQ Fund (QLD) ETF or ProShares Ultra Short QQQ (QID) ETF
6lgIm.png

Portfolio 7: 3x Nasdaq 100 Leveraged ETF Portfolio (300% of the benchmark's daily performance)
... uses ProSharesUltraPro QQQ (TQQQ) ETF or ProShares UltraPro Short QQQ (SQQQ) ETF
L6vj9.png

Portfolio 8: US Stock Portfolio
... is composed by 5 US stocks.
iDCgL.png

I don´t have 2x Leveraged DAX ETFs in the topic, despite that, I prefer to use 2x leveraged ETFs (200% of the benchmark's daily performance).The buy/sell signs are the same that happens with 1x DAX ETF Portfolio.

To use or not to use Leveraged ETFs?

There are some people suggest that we should not use leveraged ETFs, arguing that “volatility destroys Leveraged ETFs” or “Leveraged ETFs lose from compounding”, but I think that we must not do as some suggest because Leveraged ETFs are not as dangerous as they say.

Let's take an example, suppose we bought SSO (2x Leveraged S&P 500 ETF) and UPRO (3x Leveraged S&P500 ETF) at 7/1/12 and held it through today (9/15/12). The underlying S&P 500 Index gained 42, 67% over that period, SPY (S&P 500 ETF) gained 49, 56% (more than 42,67%), SSO gained 99,91% (more than 2x 42,67%= 85,34%) and UPRO gained 152,85% (more than 3x 42,67% = 128,01%).

So, we conclude that, SSO and UPRO reached more than their purposes.

It's not always that way. In periods of extreme volatility, Leveraged ETFs loses value, but also gains more value in other periods.

The leveraged ETFs aren't perfect but I think with reasonable market timing, leveraged ETFs are a good way to increase our returns.

Last edited:
Rule:
All entries and emergency stops must be sent to this " thread " , with a minimum of 5 minutes before the next market opening and automatically placed on the market after the market opens.

UPDATE

NiFY6.png

zCUhw.png

cp71S.png

85MjP.png

I'll clarify what I have done so far.

I wrote in the first posts what I do.

I wrote this: "I determine my market posture through a careful analysis of the charts. I observe the market direction - up, down or sideways – with the S&P 500 index, Nasdaq 100 index, Dow Jones index, MSCI ACWI index, Dax index or other leader index where the stock acts. Acting in concert with the market direction, i increase my odds of success."

What I did first? I have carefully looked at the ACWI (iShares MSCI ACWI index Fund)

"The overall market direction is up since the beginning of June. The overall market fall a few days but now went back up and breakout has happened. The breakout suggests that the market direction continues upward. I'm still afraid to be buying in the worst month for the markets, but I also don´t want that the market run away without me. My market posture is bullish."

I wrote this: "When I expect the market will go up, my market posture is bullish. That means, I’m buying stocks and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs). My market posture remains bullish until my "stop" is reached."

That's what I did. I bought stocks and ETFs.

The overall market continues pointing in an upward direction. The ACWI (iShares MSCI ACWI index Fund) will continue to rise as long as it remains to build higher highs and higher lows.

EtHar.png

I wrote this a few minutes ago.I Decided to move here. The question is: Why do more than 90% of traders lose?

I wrote this:

I think the main reason why investors lose money is because they are lazy. :p

It is more important not to lose. Because there are many opportunities to make money in the market. And when there are opportunities, we can't be afraid. This is what I think.

But it is not easy. When we think it will be easy, we start to lose money.

I saw that the "U.S. Stock Portfolio" has an emergency stop wrong. Not updated the emergency stop of DCT, and still appears the emergency stop of NCT (7.58), it was already closed. As nobody noticed, I see that nobody is paying enough attention. :)

Buy alert:

DCT INDUSTRIAL TRUST INC (DCT) with emergency stop at 6,46.

Two additional tips to review before investing in a leveraged ETF

1. Decide first on the amount of leverage that is appropriate from 1x to 3x.

2. Before placing a trade, confirm the ticker. As this products have similar ticker between long and short version, double checking will prevent errors.

As I have described, I observe the market direction in the indexes *, determine my market posture and I act in concert with the market direction. I think this is already assimilated by those who followed the portfolios until this point.

* Observe market direction in index or in ETF is the same, because the purpose of the ETF is to replicate the index.

On 09/04/2012 I observed the market direction through the ACWI (MSCI All Country World Index ETF) and later returned to do the same.

I not talked about ACWI, but from the description it is clear that is an ETF world.

When I analyze the global market, I use often this ETF.The ACWI is constituted by a large number of United States stocks (46.28%), UK stocks (8.25%), Germany stocks (3.14%) and stocks of various other countries.

Read about the ACWI: http://us.ishares.com/product_info/fund/overview/ACWI.htm

When my market posture is bullish in ACWI that means, almost always, bullish also in the United States and Germany.

Now that I clarified better this part. I thought it might be interesting to create a portfolio for my market posture and I did it. The market posture is the key piece of gear that makes portfolios to move.

G9C0E.png

Last edited:
I expect that overall market continues to go up, as long as the ACWI (MSCI All Country World Index Fund) continues to close above the previous low 47,20 and key support. If close daily below 47, 20, I consider the possibility of exit.

iGXUF.png

The ACWI reached the previous low.
It is still too early to know if this is simply a few days of selling or the beginning of a deeper correction but I'll put the emergency stop closer to the current price in all ETFs and stocks.

ISHARES DAX (DE) (EXS1) ETF with emergency stop at 65,74

I determine my market posture through a careful analysis of the charts. I observe the market direction - up, down orsideways – with the S&P 500 index, Nasdaq 100 index, Dow Jones index, MSCI ACWI index, Dax index or other leader index where the stock acts. Acting in concert with the market direction, i increase my odds of success.
Hi Duarte,
I'm a little unclear about the purposes of your thread? It could be that you've got everything all sewn up and intend it as some sort of template for others to follow and get ideas from, or it could be more of a 'work in progress' - and you're wanting members to chip in with questions, comments and suggestions etc. If it's the latter, then you might like to look at this thread by isatrader, as the market breadth tools he uses may provide additional insight as to what the main market is doing - or likely to do:
Market Breadth
Tim.

Reactions: D70