• Welcome to the Darwinex Forums, these forums are member-run and managed by CavaliereVerde. Member-run forum rules may differ from the site guidelines.

[PORTFOLIO] Can't make a portfolio work

hefoba

Hi,

I tested to build one portfolio with Darwins but what I see is that right now I can't get gree.
I will follow your portfolio and hope I find a way to get green in the future.

1602092179011.png

Even a very diversified portfolio doesn't make money every month.
Darwinex is not able to make money with darwins, they lose 10% per year.
After 4 years of working my ass I have a break even portfolio.
Winners of the past are easy to find, winners of the future almost impossible.

I am exploring ways to make money from Darwins on the "Investor" platform. After 7 months and a portfolio loss of 3%, I am starting to doubt it is possible to do so using only the basic techniques of porfolio management (*).

Has anybody ever made money investing in Darwins (other than Darwinex)??? :unsure:

(*) To me the basic techniques of portfolio managment are:
Selection: which asset (which Darwin)
Allocation: how much of an asset
Diversification: how many different assets
Correlation: how different the assets

The other avenue which only now I am starting to explore is to trade the Darwins, i.e. scalping, based on timing entries, stops and take profits, RRR, hit rate, and so on.

Last edited:
The other avenue which only now I am starting to explore is to trade the Darwins, i.e. scalping, based on timing entries, stops and take profits, RRR, hit rate, and so on.
I traded Darwins in 2020 in my portfolio published here for some days more than 6 months.
I used filters with tough rules and the entries came in and the exits left the portfolio.
The result was not amazing.
I had less beautiful months than frustrating ones (1:2 ratio).
The selection was not even bad and I had slight gross profit after 6 months (nearly 30 EUR) which was more than eaten up by performance fee (about 60 EUR) and management fee (about 20 EUR) when I closed it (I had less than 1 k in it with leverage x3).
What I didn't try but what I think it might be the key for improvement and investment success is using the Darwinex API to get more recent performance and DD data like daily and weekly PnL, DD and a Return/Risk ratio. 1 month is too long if you want to react neartime.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to learn the API and a programming language for it like R.

Last edited:
I am exploring ways to make money from Darwins on the "Investor" platform. After 7 months and a portfolio loss of 3%, I am starting to doubt it is possible to do so using only the basic techniques of porfolio management (*).

Has anybody ever made money investing in Darwins (other than Darwinex)??? :unsure:

you wouldn't consider another option?
if after 7 months, in this market, you've made a loss, you have to be asking yourself could you not have done better yourself

you wouldn't consider another option?
if after 7 months, in this market, you've made a loss, you have to be asking yourself could you not have done better yourself
Obviously I am not excluding that possibility, but my post to which you so kindly replied is about whether the other possibility logically can be excluded or not.

I am making money, result for 2020 is +5%
You can find it in my portfolio discussion.
10 darwins, equally weighted, buy and hold.
Yes, I did see the 6-month screenshots of your "Model Portfolio" but I was not sure whether it was a live portfolio, with returns after divergence and fees, or just in Demo mode. Is it really real? :oops:

The line is blue so it is real, demo has red line.
Result on 6m floats between +5 and +10%.

I think profitable investors are less than 50 among more than 600.
It is difficult, I took me 4 years to find the right ones and thousand of hours of study.

It is difficult, I took me 4 years to find the right ones and thousand of hours of study.
With 3 years of painful learning as far as I remember it right.
There is still hope for us dummies :giggle:
Just a hint derived from a video of a professional future trader (I like a lot of his statements):
If you are not profitable with your strategy and don't have an edge yet - trade the minimum size until you are profitable.

Last edited:

Hi Morehaselessspeed.

Have a look at the Darwins I use and 8 portfolio options I update on. Portfolios 1-6 (which I use) all did 9,5%+ before commission for the month of January.

Attached is a spreadsheet of Portfolio combinations for January and the new selections for February. There are only 12 Darwins currently from the 3000 that meet all the criteria for a Darwin that have the traits of a strategy with a true edge in the market. I have created a list of these Darwins and 4 of my own and I update them on a monthly basis. You can view it here.

In the file attached, you can update the portfolio returns by filling in their returns for the current month just below the Darwins name in the February sheet. This way you can compare your own portfolio against a few of our options that give the best returns. (Edit 17 Feb: File removed and available for mailing list only)

I have a mailing list where I update Investors on the best Darwins, Portfolios, and exactly the Basic techniques you mentioned for portfolio management in your post. You can join if you want, just drop me a mail at [email protected] (put "add to mailing list" in the topic), or join on my website www.justnextlevel.net, and I will update add you or anyone else that wants to join.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Hi Morehaselessspeed.

Have a look at the Darwins I use and 8 portfolio options I update on. Portfolios 1-6 (which I use) all did 9,5%+ before commission for the month of January.

Attached is a spreadsheet of Portfolio combinations for January and the new selections for February. There are only 12 Darwins currently from the 3000 that meet all the criteria for a Darwin that have the traits of a strategy with a true edge in the market. I have created a list of these Darwins and 4 of my own and I update them on a monthly basis. You can view it here.

In the file attached, you can update the portfolio returns by filling in their returns for the current month just below the Darwins name in the February sheet. This way you can compare your own portfolio against a few of our options that give the best returns.

I have a mailing list where I update Investors on the best Darwins, Portfolios, and exactly the Basic techniques you mentioned for portfolio management in your post. You can join if you want, just drop me a mail at [email protected] (put "add to mailing list" in the topic), or join on my website www.justnextlevel.net, and I will update add you or anyone else that wants to join.

Hope it helps.
Many thanks for this recommendation. QXS looks poised to become the kind of Darwin in which I would be likely to invest, given a longer record of success. Do keep up the good work, which seems to be the ultimate challenge for most.