platform / data feed questions

blurr123

Hi, I am a little confused about the difference between a "platform" "data feed" "charting program" "software to execute trades"

For example, If I open an account with Global futures and use Turbo Trader to execute trades and Ninja trader for charts: What is my platform? What is my data feeder?

Global Futures offers all these platforms: Global Zen Trader Turbo Trader 2 GSTrader X_TRADER® Strategy Runner J-Trader NinjaTrader.

If I run two platforms does that mean I would have a backup "data feed" or would they both run off the same data feed?

I'm sorry if my questions are confusing because I don't know enough to even ask a rational question. If it makes sense maybe you can tell where I'm confused.

Thanks.

I will try and boil it down for you...

For trading you will need software, data and brokerage.

Software – In general terms can include some or all of the following capabilities.

Charting, indicator/strategy development, simulation, trading, analysis. Software can be referred to as a platform or charting program. As a trader, you might have one platform that does everything (like www.ninjatrader.com) or you might use several in concert including brokerage supplied software.

Data – Real time and historical data. This can be acquired through a standalone market data service such as www.kinetick.com, or through a brokerage.

Brokerage – To execute trades through. Brokerages will always provide a order execution interface, some provide a lot more advanced software than that and all will provide varying levels of market data.
Hope this helps.

I have found that NinjaTrader does not have intraday historical accuate data available. You can get daily data but no one has tick or minute data for any length much past a week. I think that is why they give you daily free, but tell you to get the other data from someone else. ( Nobody has it, and from what I have read if you do find it, you can't trust it).

I attended some of their online conferences, when I started asking how to get historical data and set my system to retrieve data, they would not answer my question, then they BLOCKED me from asking any question from that session and any future sessions.

I question whether the system will be worth much for back testing any intraday data!, of any size!.

When I do log back up to my broker for data the charts don't update, it seems that until they can figure out how to have updataed current data in the program, it is only good for live trading.

I don't know why they just don't fess up, they should make a disk up of accurate back data for their customers, and figure out a system to update the data in the program when you reconnect like other good programs do.

Have a Nice Day

I have found that NinjaTrader does not have intraday historical accuate data available. You can get daily data but no one has tick or minute data for any length much past a week. I think that is why they give you daily free, but tell you to get the other data from someone else. ( Nobody has it, and from what I have read if you do find it, you can't trust it).

I attended some of their online conferences, when I started asking how to get historical data and set my system to retrieve data, they would not answer my question, then they BLOCKED me from asking any question from that session and any future sessions.

I question whether the system will be worth much for back testing any intraday data!, of any size!.

When I do log back up to my broker for data the charts don't update, it seems that until they can figure out how to have updataed current data in the program, it is only good for live trading.

I don't know why they just don't fess up, they should make a disk up of accurate back data for their customers, and figure out a system to update the data in the program when you reconnect like other good programs do.

Have a Nice Day

With all due respect, your information is completely inaccurate. Here are some data providers you can use with NinjaTrader.

- Kinetick, 120 days tick data, 2 years of minute data
- IQFeed, 120 days tick data, 2 years of minute data
- Zen-Fire, several years of tick and minute data
- CQG, several years of tick and minute data
- eSignal, several years of intraday data

With all due respect, your information is completely inaccurate. Here are some data providers you can use with NinjaTrader.

Thanks for the info guys!

Ya , but don't you have to pick and choose each symbol and time and get the info that way?.
And I have read that most of these services have limiters that only let you get so much data at a time!

Also I don't think any of them update all your data automatically!

I also read that tick data is not very useful because of lack of time stamp info!.

What Say You

NinjaTrader is a full end to end trading platform. There are many various different interface options for requesting data. A chart for example (just like any other charting platform) you must select a single instrument to receive data. That is expected. Then there is the Market Analyzer which is a turbo charged quote sheet which allows you to download and receive multiple instruments in a single swoop.

I know Interactive Brokers has some pacing on their market data, other than that I am not aware of any other limitations.

Most NinjaTrader supproted feeds provide time stamp on ticks. If you are debating the value of tick bars (time independant) vs time bars, then the value is in the eye of the beholder.

I know you can use this platform for trading and data evaluation. I guess you must work for them and have not tried to use this program in a real data evalution setup.
I am just letting people know that getting historical data for this program is not easy by any means.

Most people don't have the time or capacity to check and evaluate constantly whether their data is up to date or accurate, or have to try to convert one supplier type of data to another over and over symbol by symbol and time frame by time frame.

I was just pointing out that external data updating is not supported in this program. When I tried to ask in NinjaTrader about this in their online training rooms I was locked out of their training rooms by not being allowed to ask questions!. I logged into more training sessions and each time I was blocked from asking questions!

I tried importing data , it loaded the data but it did not work, and I had to load one symbol and one time frame at a time.

I'm just pointing out my experience with this program and its support staff!

If you are connected to a data source (NinjaTrader 7 comes with free EOD data connection via www.kinetick.com) you don't need to know if data is up to date since it automatically will be when you open a window that would analyze data such as a chart or the Market Analyzer window.

If you are not connected, then you are right, you would only have data from the last time you were connected or did a manual import.

Our message is talking about intraday data!, not end of day data. Like minutes, volume, trades ect.

The information which all of you provided was fruitful to me also. As I was searching for the information of this kind for a long period of time. I am also planning to use ninja trader as its have got added benefits in compared to other

The information which all of you provided was fruitful to me also. As I was searching for the information of this kind for a long period of time. I am also planning to use ninja trader as its have got added benefits in compared to other

Excellent, glad to be of help.