Pivot Point.NEED ASSISTANCE.

twinsummit

How do we use Pivot accurately? Do you use R1, R2 or R3? Do you use S1, S2 or S3? And how do you use them.

Thanks!

Warmest Regards
Jerry How Lye Neo
Melaka

How do we use Pivot accurately? Do you use R1, R2 or R3? Do you use S1, S2 or S3? And how do you use them.

Thanks!

Warmest Regards
Jerry How Lye Neo
Melaka

================================================================

i use them best by totally ignoring them, but like the rest say, just search and yee shall find !

mp

Thanks!

Warmest Regards
Jerry How Lye Neo
Melaka

Yes, lots do use them, don't they? Would you mind telling me what use adding the previous day's high, low and close together and dividing by 3, then doing all those other calculations to get R&S lines is ? It does not make sense, to me.

Far better to learn to draw your own lines, you'll get more confidence from them.

MP --- now dont put down the pivot points just yet

Yes, lots do use them, don't they? Would you mind telling me what use adding the previous day's high, low and close together and dividing by 3, then doing all those other calculations to get R&S lines is ? It does not make sense, to me.

Far better to learn to draw your own lines, you'll get more confidence from them.
=======================================================

years ago (perhaps even before you were a cub, split, there were no computers or huge CRT or LCD screens for all the pit traders to look at, and so they required a "simple" method of telling overbought and oversold, that could quickly be referred to.

by using a "daily" pivot point, they uniformly decided that over that point and they were bullish and under that point, they were bearish.

understand that this situation existed for MANY years and became an early "tech" method of figuring where to buy and where to sell --- it was like fibs, in its own way !

Now every charting system has them, and in a number of varieties ---- i have them on my quotetracker charts, but not my MT4 charts because theyre cute on the QT charts but kinda sorta useless on forex !

Maybe the banks and brokers and mm's and spread betters and the parking lot attendent use them, but ive never seen it happen intraday ALTHOUGH THEY DO USE THEM ON THE H1, H4 AND DAILY CHARTS !!!!!

see, long ago i found a support and resistance chart overlay, that leaves simple little dots and a couple lines to look at ---- the danged things are so darn good that i can play the H4 chart overnite (thats 12 midnite EDT to 12 noon EDT for me) and hit the tp point like i was a god or something !

basically, they work when they work, because the mms, brokers, banks, and little sissy boys down the road are watching them and using them, and thats all she wrote !

Twinsummit,

What everyone is telling you is that you will find places where people assign magical accuracy to pivots ... but there is no magic. MP gave you some history ... just numbers to help pit traders. And because of the number of pit traders who used them (back before electronic markets gradually cleared the pits) those numbers are observed. You will often see price pause at the pivots ... or maybe break through. But.

Most here would suggest that you are better off learning to see support and resistance on the charts from previous swing points and previous areas where there was a lot of trading (high volume areas) rather than relying on OLD MAGIC :clover:

Spend your time learning about trends, how to buy retracements, and support and resistance and you will be well rewarded with the minimum of diversions into unprofitable areas. Both Trader_Dante and mp6140 have threads at present that might help you go in those directions.

Good trading.

MP -- a chart, perchance to observe !

yesterday, GU -- 15 min

nine says it so nicely, but i figure nothing says loving like a chart from the oven !

DONT TELL ME YOU CANT READ MY CHART CAUSE I TOOK EVERYTHING BUT THE CANDLES AND THE S+R OFF OF IT !

notice the numbers and lines -- pivot points. The green one down below the price action is the DAILY pivot, and since the action is taking place ABOVE the pivot (and broke thru the pivot the day before) we call it BULLISH --- one "could" have taken a trade thursday when the pivot was broken, and valid it would have been, but notice while the price comes NEAR the resistance points you mentioned, they dont really hit them, but rather hit the support and resistance lines (the skinny little purple ones)

NOW, kindly old dutch uncle mikey will reveal another heretofore little known secret, learned while watching all those men at night as mentioned in my signature, and that is the DMH or as we really kewl people call it, the DMH ! (sorry, its the DeMarker High, which is a resistance point) --- GU and especially UJ LOVE to go to ONE resistance point ABOVE IT before retracing (retracing is similar to when a military force "cuts and runs" which really means they turn around immediately and run like hell in the opposite direction to where they were going originally --- that was put in cause some peeps like to liken trading to warfare, while i personally liken it to eating chicken noodle soup !) SMOOTH AND NOURISHING !

oh yeah, throwing the chicken bones on the table, donning my wizards cap and offering up a prophesy --- GU presently showing 2.0125 on the daily with a very possible 2.0300 area living above it !

enjoy and trade well
sunday will be here soon enough
im waiting for it with bait on my breath

mp

Attachments

• GU for pivot post.jpg
    GU for pivot post.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
=======================================================

years ago (perhaps even before you were a cub, split, there were no computers or huge CRT or LCD screens for all the pit traders to look at, and so they required a "simple" method of telling overbought and oversold, that could quickly be referred to.

by using a "daily" pivot point, they uniformly decided that over that point and they were bullish and under that point, they were bearish.

understand that this situation existed for MANY years and became an early "tech" method of figuring where to buy and where to sell --- it was like fibs, in its own way !

Now every charting system has them, and in a number of varieties ---- i have them on my quotetracker charts, but not my MT4 charts because theyre cute on the QT charts but kinda sorta useless on forex !

Maybe the banks and brokers and mm's and spread betters and the parking lot attendent use them, but ive never seen it happen intraday ALTHOUGH THEY DO USE THEM ON THE H1, H4 AND DAILY CHARTS !!!!!

see, long ago i found a support and resistance chart overlay, that leaves simple little dots and a couple lines to look at ---- the danged things are so darn good that i can play the H4 chart overnite (thats 12 midnite EDT to 12 noon EDT for me) and hit the tp point like i was a god or something !

basically, they work when they work, because the mms, brokers, banks, and little sissy boys down the road are watching them and using them, and thats all she wrote !

Yes, I appreciate why they were used in the first place and they must have been a useful a guide for pitmen in the old days. I didn't start trading until internet came in. Before that I was was one of those guys who actually BOUGHT shares! In fact, I haven't lost the habit. That is why I can afford to trade today! :D

Always good to read some of your light, Sunday morning reading, though. I'm picking through those chicken bones that you have thrown on the table. Do chickens have nuggets? I'm hoping to find some more.

Good trading

Split

Yes, I appreciate why they were used in the first place and they must have been a useful a guide for pitmen in the old days. I didn't start trading until internet came in. Before that I was was one of those guys who actually BOUGHT shares! In fact, I haven't lost the habit. That is why I can afford to trade today! :D

Always good to read some of your light, Sunday morning reading, though. I'm picking through those chicken bones that you have thrown on the table. Do chickens have nuggets? I'm hoping to find some more.

Good trading

Split

=============================================================

after throwing the bones, spinning three times in a counter clockwise rotation, allowing the smoke to clear --- if one finds NUGGETS, then by definition the mine cannot be far away !

EXCELLENT FIND SPLIT -- keep looking and allow me progress updates !

LOL

mp