Pin Bar System

Should Pocrel trade the "pin bar system" live again

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
order cancelled on usdjpy breaking up, order now to long the s and p

chart

s and p.gif

since we've had a hard week, I take the liberty of sharing a joke I just received

I went to the gym yesterday and said to the trainer
"Which machine can I use to impress that beautiful blonde over there"
He looked at me and replied
"Try the cash machine outside the front door you fat c**t"

Another thing Mata,

I know your EA will cancel the order if the pin is not broken in 2 (or whatever you set it to) bars. But does it cancel the order if the wrong side of the pin is broken before the correct side is? Does that make sense?

Sam.

Hi Mata, I loaded up the set and ran the backtest and here are the results I got (attached). Are they similar to yours? Look good but once you try a year back test this happens....

:-0

Yes, sort of. The version you have had an error on the lot calculation. I dont know if you noticed but your risk is 10 x what it should be so obviously your profits are a lot more as well. I get a 90% (bit more) profit over the same period so its about the same as you should have. The Year backtest is surprising as its almost straight down. Probably not helped by the 25% risk you were taking per trade due to my error. I have fixed this but wont upload any more updates untill it is a bit more stable. If you change the risk to 0.25 that will work better for this version at least.

As i said a few times i dont hold with long term backtests as everyone knows the market is different over the seasons and anyone with any sense would be looking to modify profit expectations etc. Thats why i optimize monthly. At least then there is a reasonable expectation that the market conditions wont be vastly different trading from when it was optimised. Also Pocrel is great at trading this system but the idea of pins on pivots is not ground breaking. Pins and Pivots have been around for decades and have proven profitability for discretionary trading throughout.

Still, Grail it is not but potential i think it does have to be profitable.

Another thing Mata,

I know your EA will cancel the order if the pin is not broken in 2 (or whatever you set it to) bars. But does it cancel the order if the wrong side of the pin is broken before the correct side is? Does that make sense?

Sam.

No, Also as someone posted earlier there was a bug in the expire code anyway so it wouldnt actually expire orders properly. I have re-done most of my backtests with the expiry code fixed and in general it hasnt made much difference to the results.

I think it might be an idea to cancel the order if the wrong side of the pin is broken first, that kind of indicates a weak pin with no follow through. We want to try and filter out all the bad trades, it doesn't matter if we have a great deal less trades as long as they are better ones. What do you think?

Sam.

P.S. Goes without saying but I appreciate all your efforts here with the programming, backtesting and ideas. Keep it up, but like Pocrel says, don't let it get in the way of paying customers! Cheers.

I think it might be an idea to cancel the order if the wrong side of the pin is broken first, that kind of indicates a weak pin with no follow through. We want to try and filter out all the bad trades, it doesn't matter if we have a great deal less trades as long as they are better ones. What do you think?

Sam.

P.S. Goes without saying but I appreciate all your efforts here with the programming, backtesting and ideas. Keep it up, but like Pocrel says, don't let it get in the way of paying customers! Cheers.

Its easily doable. I am still learning this MQL, Its very different from the tools i normally work with but checking if the stop is broken on a pending order is very simple.

chart

Attachments

• Daily US Light Crude (Jun) (13-MAY-11).png
    Daily US Light Crude (Jun) (13-MAY-11).png
    22.8 KB · Views: 153
Its easily doable. I am still learning this MQL, Its very different from the tools i normally work with but checking if the stop is broken on a pending order is very simple.

Would be cool if you could incorporate that and see if it helps. You seem to be doing very well for a learner! I'm rubbish at stuff like that!

Ok, here is a chart of the ES... Would I have went short on the bar pointed by the red vertical arrow with a limit order placed at the point where the horizontal arrow is?

If price would have went up, would the limit order have been at the yellow or the green arrow?

Thank you,

-Alli

Attachments

• chart.png
    chart.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 144
I'm going back trying to figure this out.. Are you guys using limit orders at the ends of the middle bar itself or the ends of one of the side bars of the pattern? See my chart up above...

Allistah,

You're trade shown in the image is incorrect. This would have been a long trade. A pin bar indicates a price rejection. So the tail of the pin bar - the long bit, is the rejection. You want to trade in the opposite direction to the tail. In this example you'd have gone long at the yellow arrow. It would have been a losing trade however. All the info you need is on the first page of this thread. Maybe you should familiarise yourself with pin bars more first.

Sam.

Well, like I said I've gone over it a number of times and it wasn't clear to me where you placed the orders. I'll go read it again and look through the charts and find a few examples and post them with what I think is correct and if you guys could give me a thumbs up or down I'd appreciate it. :)

Thanks much for the clarification. A couple charts to follow...

Just went back and read it again... Still not clear to me.

3/Entry is 1 point above or below the pin in direction of the pin

Is the pin the middle bar or are you considering the whole pattern the pin? Because if the pin bar is pointing down and the next bar on the right is super tall, your entry would be well past 1 point of the top of the middle one. So you'd place the order at 1 point above the middle one anyways with a limit order and hope it comes back and gets filled?

4/ Stop is 1 point below or above the pin

Same thing for this rule.