PhD Research on Trader Pyschology

imti

Hi Guys,

I am a PhD researcher looking in-depth at trader psychology.

I am interested in the 'crowd' element of trading; especially whether traders look to validate their initial trading ideas by following others or discussions on forums like these.

I would love to hear your thoughts on your experience, especially:

Q1. Why do you visit forums like these?

a) To find new trading ideas
b) To validate existing trading ideas
c) To find news/information related to markets
d) To socialize (you just enjoy talking to other traders)
e) Other (please feel free to explain)

Q2. Have you generally benefited from the collective wisdom here, or has it cost you money?

I have a simple hypothesis: that traders are able to improve their trading profits by collaborating and following the wisdom of the crowd. This is based on related research, where a group of amateurs were able to outperform experts in the field.

I am also building a (free) platform to facilitate this. If you are interested in gaining early access, please PM me. I only have a limited number of invites for now.

Look forward to your opinions. :)

Of course, I'm happy to share the results of my research once it's complete.

Q2. Have you generally benefited from the collective wisdom here, or has it cost you money?

Yes it has been beneficial for me.

Q1 c and d

Q2 overall I have benefitted from spinoffs (networking)

thanks and good luck with the Phd...
N

Hi Guys,

I am a PhD researcher looking in-depth at trader psychology.

I am interested in the 'crowd' element of trading; especially whether traders look to validate their initial trading ideas by following others or discussions on forums like these.

I would love to hear your thoughts on your experience, especially:

d) To socialize (you just enjoy talking to other traders)
e) Other (please feel free to explain)

I have a simple hypothesis: that traders are able to improve their trading profits by collaborating and following the wisdom of the crowd. This is based on related research, where a group of amateurs were able to outperform experts in the field.

I am also building a (free) platform to facilitate this. If you are interested in gaining early access, please PM me. I only have a limited number of invites for now.

Look forward to your opinions. :)

Q1 - D. I use it to socialize and help other traders.

Here is the reason. I am not so much looking for trading ideas, strategies, winning systems, etc.

Trading is by yourself in front of computer with no other interaction can be draining, so even if you have a bad day, you can use this an outlet, to say "I really screwed up today, I over traded and lost because I was making dumb trades"

Others will respond with ways to help so you don't do that again in the future, or the very least, they will say I been there, and it happened to me, tomorrow is another day... and most of the time that validation is enough to keep you plugging along at this lonesome game.

Q1. e) Entertainment, occasionally good humor
Also e) I like to respond to questions/participate in discussions and explain my logic in detail, because I find that the process clarifies my thinking and, occasionally, highlights things that I missed/ignored.

Q2. Yes, although maybe not in the way you have suggested (see above).

Google "global squawk box" (think that's it). It was an article in some technical analysis journal I think.