originalturtles.com....how reliable are they ?

yari123

after reading it, how do i still trust it? they say turtletrading.com and all other systems are fraud, how can i still trust originalturtles.com ?

:confused:

after reading it, how do i still trust it? they say turtletrading.com and all other systems are fraud, how can i still trust originalturtles.com ?

:confused:

one obvious solution is to run a backtest and evaluate the results for yourself

Hello there,

I would suggest reading The Way of the Turtle by Curtis Faith. When you say 'trust' what do you mean? You haven't given the turtles your money have you? Trust yourself. The systems they used aren't holy grails, they're actually quite simple. Consistently executing a system is the hardest part. I totally believe the whole turtle story, I don't find any parts of the whole turtle thing unbelievable. Just people trading a system.

by trust i mean the level of reliability in their claims about how they are the original turtles, and all others are scam and false.

Easy test:

If Mike Covel is associated with it then it will be glitzy marketing and no substance (you might wisely define this as a scam but thats up to you).

Reactions: BSD
Yes it all seems so simple !

"They" do say that simpler is better though.

I am going to work on a share trading strat on the turtle rules and allocate some of my account to it and see how I go. The only thing I'm not sure I like is the entry rules.

Many of the Turtles had audited performance figures published after they finished the program in anticipation of potentially managing money for themself afterward, so the results are legit. Which isn't to say the methodology is what you're necessarily looking for. They used a 100% trend following approach which can produce excellent results over time, but definitely has some severe drawdowns.

I would stay away from anytihing with Michael Covels name on it. Total waste of time and money.

Sorry that book is a complete waste of money written by a slime ball internet marketeer cashing in on the turtles.

Also, the author seems to have a personal vendetta against Cutis Faith. Remember that Curtis was an actuall turtle, he walked the walk and talked the talk. What credentials or authority has Michael Covel got?

For a much better view on the turtles and trading try:
Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods that Turned Ordinary People into Legendary Traders: Amazon.co.uk: Curtis Faith: Books

I have Covels "Trend Following", and got me into looking at the markets in a structured way.
(one of the earliest trading books I ever bought)
However, it has a generalistic style, with lots of stories and anecdotes, but little real information.

a better read would be Curtis Faiths "Way of the Turtle". It is full of methods of analysing your trades, and the pitfalls of curve-fitting. There seems to be more "real" information in Faiths book than Covels, and thus would recommend Faith over Covel.

The biggest problem with trend-trading is the taking of many, many, small losses, waiting for the big move. Discipline is the key skill here.

The rules can be found freely.

Trendie I am not sure what you mean by "real" information, but the book you mention, for example, does not name another Turtle by name. The book you mention does not list the month by month performance numbers of the Turtles while trading for Dennis. The book you mention does correctly name Jerry Parker as the most successful Turtle. The book does not trace what happened to the Turtles over the last 25 years showing why some were winners and some were not. The book you mention does mention that Curtis Faith's only money management firm after the Turtle experiment ended in a CFTC investigation and major losses. I can go on and on. Yelling "fire" when people can clearly pick up my book and see that your statements are factually off makes little sense.

Last edited: