OPINIONS WANTED / performance related

Do you work out your position size taking into account correlation of markets?

Forget about this fella, he's either a bull******, a boaster or someone with very low self-esteem that needs to be loved and craves to be spoken about.

How for example can anyone for example suggest that 'making' £1k a day off £50k might be 'poor'.

Or perhaps he's setting up a load of gullible mugs because he's got big plans to start selling something in the future...........

Forget about this fella, he's either a bull******, a boaster or someone with very low self-esteem that needs to be loved and craves to be spoken about.

How for example can anyone for example suggest that 'making' £1k a day off £50k might be 'poor'.

Or perhaps he's setting up a load of gullible mugs because he's got big plans to start selling something in the future...........

lol....you have problems dude!....get some help before you start self harming!

no...i don't take into account 'correlation of markets'....

I treat and trade every instrument that I follow independently.....I leave correlation to mathematicians and astrologers.....

I have found that this business only gets tough when one risks more money than they can afford to lose, coupled with talk of becoming a millionaire from a few grand overnight....these are pipe dreams.

Ambitions exceeding talent,self control and patience...is what results in failure.

Those who talk about becoming millionaires, rarely become millionaires. Those that just talk plain negatively all the time have become bitter, nursing wounds of failing opportunities, failing to come to terms with what is the past, which cannot be changed..... those that just get on with the work in hand, drawing a line under failures eventually....succeed!

I started this thread so that I could gauge my performance amongst peers....hoping to learn something and consequently possibly contribute to the traders community. I don't want to get into negative bitching matches with 'bitter dinosaurs'....live and let live baby.

Did seem like you were bigging yourself up a bit tbf mate... Judging from your last post you probably weren't but...

Doesnt bother me, I'm an accountant. I'm used to dealing with people who have more money that I will dream of seeing lol.

I've noticed people don't talk about money much on this site... A lot less than I expected.

Anley....

It because of unnecessary and unfounded negative post like your that we don't hear many success stories here.

Its important to share experiences of failure and success.

Some have said that 2% net return per day is good, some have said that it is poor....I was surprised by the comments, saying that 2 percent is excellent as I had been under the impression / feeling that I had been under performing.

For those that replied thanks for the feedback....

Think it through ;) without reinvestment, 2% consistent per day is about 500% per year ;) sounds pretty good to me.

If the account is large enough to live from 100% - or 200% - then this is great ;) Grows, money there for taxes, all have fun. I wish I can do that soon ;) Let's see.

no...i don't take into account 'correlation of markets'....

I treat and trade every instrument that I follow independently.....I leave correlation to mathematicians and astrologers.....

I have found that this business only gets tough when one risks more money than they can afford to lose, coupled with talk of becoming a millionaire from a few grand overnight....these are pipe dreams.

Ambitions exceeding talent,self control and patience...is what results in failure.

Those who talk about becoming millionaires, rarely become millionaires. Those that just talk plain negatively all the time have become bitter, nursing wounds of failing opportunities, failing to come to terms with what is the past, which cannot be changed..... those that just get on with the work in hand, drawing a line under failures eventually....succeed!

I started this thread so that I could gauge my performance amongst peers....hoping to learn something and consequently possibly contribute to the traders community. I don't want to get into negative bitching matches with 'bitter dinosaurs'....live and let live baby.

Where did this rant come from? I only wondered if you realise you are trading correlated positions and dont have any risk control for it, its gona bite you one day.

On a more constructive note, 2% per day is good if not very good. I aim for 2% per day but so far this year I have averaged 1.3%.

Last edited:
Anley....

It because of unnecessary and unfounded negative post like your that we don't hear many success stories here.

Its important to share experiences of failure and success.

Some have said that 2% net return per day is good, some have said that it is poor....I was surprised by the comments, saying that 2 percent is excellent as I had been under the impression / feeling that I had been under performing.

For those that replied thanks for the feedback....

You'd have been better off just quoting 2% a day like Rossini.

For some reason BSers always pick £1k a day as an amount they are making. Don't know why, maybe because they're not very creative BSers.

Percentages are a common ground everyone can relate to.

What some people need to realize is that while percentages are fine, you can not live from them ;)

Which means one need enough an account size to make it worthwhile, in absolute numbers. Gaining 1% per day is good - seriously. 2% imho is very good. Again, as average - I would seriously expect days with more than 5%, sometimes, but this is not "normal".

But it also means one needs to run 10.000 USD "minimum" in order to make a living. Do not forget you also need to pay for holidays, and the costs involved (computers etc.) Rather have 20.000 to 50.000 usd - minimum.

USD 200 to 500 a day may work, especially if one manages to save some of that to grow the account;) And that not too slowly ;)

IMHO one should plan living on 25% of the income generated, maximum ;)

I think Percentages are a totally ridiculous concept.

If you start with £1,000 then making 2% is totally cr*p.

If you have £25,000,000 then 2% per day is a whole different story.

What some people need to realize is that while percentages are fine, you can not live from them ;)

Which means one need enough an account size to make it worthwhile, in absolute numbers. Gaining 1% per day is good - seriously. 2% imho is very good. Again, as average - I would seriously expect days with more than 5%, sometimes, but this is not "normal".

But it also means one needs to run 10.000 USD "minimum" in order to make a living. Do not forget you also need to pay for holidays, and the costs involved (computers etc.) Rather have 20.000 to 50.000 usd - minimum.

USD 200 to 500 a day may work, especially if one manages to save some of that to grow the account;) And that not too slowly ;)

Is that not obvious? Anyone starting out trading with a 2k account and hoping to make a living needs to have a good think.

A great post by MrGecko last night suggested de-monetizing the returns by thinking in terms of units of risk.

Then you can de-leverage the results using the Sharpe Ratio.

Volatility-adjusted returns measured against industry benchmarks are the best performance metrics IMHO.

Using Utility Theory, there is an argument for making larger absolute returns on smaller amounts (£20 means nothing to most people, so why go for 2% on £1000?), plus it suggests that an extra £1m to someone who already has £10m in the bank isn't worth betting the ranch for.

Richard Dennis reckons 300% p.a should be achievable for a small retail account, but thereafter liquidity issues really kick in.

Last edited:
Anley....

SS it would be sad if you weren't so funny.

How can anyone be thinking that 2% net a day is 'poor'. Just what planet are these people living on and what sort of expectations would they think are excellent? Again, it's a complete joke.

Plus, doesn't anyone think it's strange, if not impossible to crank 2% a day out of the markets like clockwork - this game ain't like that fellas and it reminds me nothing more of the crazy and outright lies that the systems sellers market - make £480 a day trading the FTSe for 20 mins work.

And that goes for you SS, how can you be under the impression that 2% or 500% a year or possibly 1000%s a year might be 'under-performing'? The more you talk the more I think you're 101% full of crap.

So you're either winding people up, (but not me) or
As I said before you're working some sort of future marketing agenda, ie subtly marketing yourself in order to sell some get rich easy crap in the future.

Not a bad ploy, make ridiculous claims because we all know that in this game, mug punters always bite for the crazy claims. 200%, 300% 500% a year they love to hear that but a low risk, low volatility type return of 20% per annum, hell that's for losers and just won't sell.

PS. Me, cynical - YOU BET when it comes to money and 'claims' of success in the derivatives world. And if negative is a by product of being cynical then negative is the right way to be, otherwise the crooks, shysters, thiefs, marketers, bull****ters and all the others will get ya - You've been warned :)

You'd have been better off just quoting 2% a day like Rossini.

For some reason BSers always pick £1k a day as an amount they are making. Don't know why, maybe because they're not very creative BSers.

Percentages are a common ground everyone can relate to.

Approximately +£1k return per trading day is an average over 229 trading days....its an average dip sh**

Now, now. Not so negative please :LOL::LOL:

i'm not being negative.....you should learn to read and comprehend first, rather than being trigger happy with your thoughts...I bet thats how you pick your trades too...unproven assumptions!....you sound like a very jealous kinda person....(n)

If you think that I started this thread to sell some kinda service....your wrong.....FYI, the only thing that the company that I am one of the major shareholders of buy/sell/distribute/trade are SEMICONDUCTORS world wide.....so give me break you pr**!!!...the money I make spread betting is chump change.

Now get back into your swamp:cool:

Spread betting is not my bread and butter