Opinions about WD Gann's theories

IMO, you are misrepresenting Gann's view on the relationship between price and time. Gann's view is that in determining turning points, time is an important consideration besides price. In fact Gann believes that time had the strongest influence on the market because when time is up, the trend changes. Expressed differently, price and time must balance before the market turns. The underlying premise is that Gann subscribes to the law of vibration and that every financial instrument is subject to some kind of vibration in price and time. The problem is Gann uses a variety of tools including swing cycles, anniversary dates, natural cycles, geometric angles, the squaring of price and astrology which created a lot of complexity in approach, mystery and controversy. This is further compounded by the need to use scaling when applying some of the tools to the instruments.

Conceptually the idea of price and time is sound because any price movement cannot be meaningfully measured without relating to some measure of unit of time. The problem is that applying Gann's method to trading can make the approach highly complex and any ensuring benefit highly questionable. Personally I do use Gann's concept of price and time but in a very simplistic manner.

I did not misrepresent him.

What I said was that Gann believed Time equals price, and NOT as you stated:

'time is an important consideration besides price'.

The irony is that it is you who misrepresented him and that my post was about moving closer to your statement -'time is an important consideration besides price'..

It is because Gann delieved time equals price that his predictions (allegedly) named the price and the date.

If you are going to troll me (again), albeit in the most subtle passive aggressive way you're able to manage, at least try to get somewhere in the vicinity of the actual facts.

'.Conceptually the idea of price and time is sound because any price movement cannot be meaningfully measured without relating to some measure of unit of time.'

Absolutely not true (imo)

'Personally I do use Gann's concept of price and time but in a very simplistic manner.'

Fantastic!

Isn't that exactly what my post was about? Taking Gann's ideas and creating your own concepts from them.

Looks like we didn't need a demonstration of your personal understanding of Gann which anyone can find for themselves, and that you could have just gone straight to expanding on your statement-'Personally I do use Gann's concept of price and time but in a very simplistic manner.'

So, care to expand on that?

Maybe with a chart, like I did?

If not, you may leave us all wondering what exactly was the point of your post?

I did not misrepresent him.

What I said was that Gann believed Time equals price, and NOT as you stated:

'time is an important consideration besides price'.

The irony is that it is you who misrepresented him and that my post was about moving closer to your statement -'time is an important consideration besides price'..

It is because Gann delieved time equals price that his predictions (allegedly) named the price and the date.

If you are going to troll me (again), albeit in the most subtle passive aggressive way you're able to manage, at least try to get somewhere in the vicinity of the actual facts.

'.Conceptually the idea of price and time is sound because any price movement cannot be meaningfully measured without relating to some measure of unit of time.'

Absolutely not true (imo)

'Personally I do use Gann's concept of price and time but in a very simplistic manner.'

Fantastic!

Isn't that exactly what my post was about? Taking Gann's ideas and creating your own concepts from them.

Looks like we didn't need a demonstration of your personal understanding of Gann which anyone can find for themselves, and that you could have just gone straight to expanding on your statement-'Personally I do use Gann's concept of price and time but in a very simplistic manner.'

So, care to expand on that?

Maybe with a chart, like I did?

If not, you may leave us all wondering what exactly was the point of your post?

You are clearly entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts.

The idea of balancing time and price is fundamental to Gann's approach to forecasting and his usage of tools such as the 45 degree angle; squaring of prices; and his use of natural cycles. There are a body of evidence of Gann practitioners who have studied his work and written books about Gann's concept of balancing price and time that I can reference to, including :
1)Gann made easy by William McClaren (Page 17);
2)Pattern Price and Time using Gann theory in TA by James Hyerczyk (pages 30 & 31);
3)Dynamic Time and Price analysis of market trends by Bryce Gilmore (section 10-5); and
4)Gann's scientific methods unveiled volume 2 by Patrick Mikula (page 2)

As to your insistence that Gann instead talked about price equals time, please point out your reference source. Btw, the notion that price equals time is itself an illogical statement because they both have different unit of measure and can never be equal.

You are clearly entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts.

The idea of balancing time and price is fundamental to Gann's approach to forecasting and his usage of tools such as the 45 degree angle; squaring of prices; and his use of natural cycles. There are a body of evidence of Gann practitioners who have studied his work and written books about Gann's concept of balancing price and time that I can reference to, including :
1)Gann made easy by William McClaren (Page 17);
2)Pattern Price and Time using Gann theory in TA by James Hyerczyk (pages 30 & 31);
3)Dynamic Time and Price analysis of market trends by Bryce Gilmore (section 10-5); and
4)Gann's scientific methods unveiled volume 2 by Patrick Mikula (page 2)
As to your insistence that Gann instead talked about price equals time, please point out your reference source.

Gann said it himself.

I don't know why you would want to quote from any other source. Looking at your reading material I can see why you're confused.

You're attempt to put me on the defensive and run around proving things to you is nothing more than a smokescreen to avoid expanding on your statement -

Knowing as we do, how much you detest a 'one liner' I'm sure you'll provide some substance to that statement. (For the second time of asking)

Maybe then you won't look like someone who talks a lot about things they don't fully grasp.

Maybe then you won't look like a complete hypocrite.

And maybe you won't convince the neutral reader that you are in fact, a troll.

And then you could explain how these 2 'one liners' that you treated us to, live together inside the same mind.that talks about: 'your own facts'

'Conceptually the idea of price and time is sound because any price movement cannot be meaningfully measured without relating to some measure of unit of time.'

Followed in your next post by this-

Btw, the notion that price equals time is itself an illogical statement because they both have different unit of measure and can never be equal

I'll make a Gann like prediction here.

You will keep entertaining us until we get bored with you..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

That is your rebuttal? It speaks volume.

You're a troll. That speaks volumes

My upcoming new trading journal will 'speak volumes' about TIME and PRICE.

For obvious reasons, I will need to remove your ability to comment on that journal. So I think it's only fair to leave the last word to you.

You could use that opportunity to expand on your one liner-

(For the 3rd time of asking)

Or-

Carry on trolling.

Anyone care :)sleeping:) to predict which one Brumby will choose?

My opinion is you are probably going to waste an amount of time and resources on this that won't yield anything near your expectations. Its arbitrary gobbledegook that like all things interpreted by humans have patterns that are perceived to be what they aren't. It's a cycle of smoke and mirrors that's plagued our race since the dawn of time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My opinion is you are probably going to waste an amount of time and resources on this that won't yield anything near your expectations. Its arbitrary gobbledegook that like all things interpreted by humans have patterns that are perceived to be what they aren't. It's a cycle of smoke and mirrors that's plagued our race since the dawn of time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I just want to make it clear that the journal will not have anything to do with Gann.

My 'expectation' is that journal 2 will be better than journal 1.

As always, I will be aiming for something much harder than Gann...

..................... Simplicity
...........................................................................................................

You're a troll. That speaks volumes

My upcoming new trading journal will 'speak volumes' about TIME and PRICE.

For obvious reasons, I will need to remove your ability to comment on that journal. So I think it's only fair to leave the last word to you.

You could use that opportunity to expand on your one liner-

(For the 3rd time of asking)

Or-

Carry on trolling.

Anyone care :)sleeping:) to predict which one Brumby will choose?

The most obvious evidence that a person cannot engage in a conversation of substance is when the rebuttals are ad hominem attacks sprinkled with feign outrage of being called out.

When you actually substantiate your claim that Gann said "time equal price" then I will address the question - not before. You will not get to change the goal post and redirect the conversation. You can either step up or shut up.

Price can't equal time, that's insane :cheesy:

Are you referring to the 1 X 1 type trend which he considered the "best proportioned"? where they are kinda "equal proportioned"

i am not familiar with Gann btw, and I am puzzled about how one would determine what is a unit of time and what a is a unit of price

Last edited:
My take is Gann was very smart and never stopped investigating and learning. He used swing charts, squares, and angles for investing/trading. He sold courses to whoever had money for those other esoteric topics.

Last edited: