OLD versions

Ant

Hi everybody. I use an old version of Omnitrader (OT2004) for certain confirmations. It's not the best platform but I do find it useful in conjunction with other things.

BUT unfortunately my installation disk has somehow got damaged. Has anyone got one they don't want - I'm happy to pay a bit for it!

Let e know if interested in helping. Thanks

Hi everybody. I use an old version of Omnitrader (OT2004) for certain confirmations. It's not the best platform but I do find it useful in conjunction with other things.

BUT unfortunately my installation disk has somehow got damaged. Has anyone got one they don't want - I'm happy to pay a bit for it!

You could ask them, they might some old disks left. I sympathise, Finspreads did the same but they do keep the old platform going.

You could ask them, they might some old disks left. I sympathise, Finspreads did the same but they do keep the old platform going.
Nice idea but they don't seem helpful. Anything over four years old doesn't seem to exist

I can't help with locating another disc, sorry.

I do have a couple of suggestions and questions though.

1. Is current PC installation OK, or do you need to re-install it right now?
2. Do you have any hard drive image clones or restore points if current install corrupt?
3. What is current OS - XP vista, Win 8 etc?
4.What is the extent of disc damage?
Is it readable, but just won't install?
READ THIS FIRST:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/180578-old-versions.html#post2213730
As a last ditch attempt at disc recovery, you could try polishing scratches out -
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/repair-scratched-cd.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Scratched-CD
As a last ditch attempt - I've repaired discs using brasso or T- cut,
rub from centre out - never circular motion.

Suggestions:
1. If current install OK - buy Symantec System Recovery - Available to buy online as download.
Then create a backup image of your whole PC installation.
This is very handy anyway, even without the problem you've got.

2. Current install not OK - still create an image clone as above.
Then you can either try repairing it (install windows over top without format)
or use a restore point if you have one.
If the first attempt at OS installation repair fails, restore the image clone and try something else.

Some more details of the exact problem will enable me to give more
specific advice.

Last edited:
As a last ditch attempt at disc recovery, you could try polishing scratches out -

BTW if you've never done this, it can work if you are careful - BUT...
Best to test it another disc you don't care about first, crap music CD / magazine cover CD etc.
Try and replicate the damage on your OT disc on the test disc.
Then attempt scratch repair of test disc first.
If all goes well and the test disc is readable again, attempt same with OT disc.

Thats pretty much everything I can think of.
More details of exact problem will definitely help. Away for 10-15, back soon.

Last edited:

2. Do you have any hard drive image clones or restore points if current install corrupt?

Suggestions:
1. If current install OK - buy Symantec System Recovery

2. Current install not OK - still clone an image as above.

specific advice.

Thanks very much. Yes, i have is working on an old XP machine. I've recently tried to reinstall on Windows7 ones and that did not work. The Instalation seemed ok but asking Win7 to run it as XP or 2000 didn't work and doing the whole thing again using XP machine didn't work either. After doing all that, the disc won't install on another XP machine which I reckoned to use long term.

The big attraction of Win7 is the trim facility but, having talked to Crucial about converting to an SSD, they tell me that their firmware trims XP as well. So I thought a nearly-new XP machine would be as good as a Win7 one. You get less spy and mal ware on XP as well.

One thing I wonder is whether trying to get it into Win7 somehow corrupted the disc - I can't see any scratches to account for the problem but can't see how 7 could have caused corruption either. So it's a it of a long shot.

Thanks very much. Yes, i have is working on an old XP machine. I've recently tried to reinstall on Windows7 ones and that did not work. The Instalation seemed ok but asking Win7 to run it as XP or 2000 didn't work and doing the whole thing again using XP machine didn't work either. After doing all that, the disc won't install on another XP machine which I reckoned to use long term.

The big attraction of Win7 is the trim facility but, having talked to Crucial about converting to an SSD, they tell me that their firmware trims XP as well. So I thought a nearly-new XP machine would be as good as a Win7 one. You get less spy and mal ware on XP as well.

One thing I wonder is whether trying to get it into Win7 somehow corrupted the disc - I can't see any scratches to account for the problem but can't see how 7 could have caused corruption either. So it's a it of a long shot.

OK no disc damage is a good start, can rule that out.
Possibilities include:
1. OT2004 not compatible with win7
2. Other XP machine has dodgy CD/DVD drive - longshot.

Few more Qs.
1. Is original XP machine still working?
If it is but its old and slow, clone the OS image using software in my first post.
Then install that image onto one of the newer PC's.
Be careful - this will overwrite anything on that drive / partition.
Image clone anything on destination PC you want to keep first.

Chipset, graphics and sound drivers won't match obviously and will need
uninstalling (do that on new machine, leave old XP PC as is).

Don't worry about the hardware change affecting the XP license,
it will ask to connect to license verification servers, may well pass
as licensing on XP is not a MS priority anymore.
Failing that phone activation will definitely work.

2. Can disc contents be read in windows explorer - files and folders visible?
If so, you could just copy the entire CD to hard drive and attempt installation
from there, its a workaround I've used before.

Some other anti piracy software you have installed may be blocking CD/DVD reading.
A lot of software can do this without even making it clear, so you may not be aware its even
there.

Last edited:

READ THIS FIRST:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/first-steps/180578-old-versions.html#post2213730

Suggestions:
1. If current install OK - buy Symantec System Recovery - Available to buy online as download.

2. Current install not OK - still create an image clone as above.
If the first attempt at OS installation repair fails, restore the image clone and try something else.

specific advice.

Re Symantec System Recovery. Can you chose which individual files / programs to restore from the recovery clone? If so then it'd be very simple to get it onto the newer machine which has of course got loads of stuff on it all ready.
Thanks

Sorry it looks as if I have sent my replies wrongly though they are all visible if you go back to the thread. It's just that you probably didn't get email to say I had replied.
ANT

Re Symantec System Recovery. Can you chose which individual files / programs to restore from the recovery clone? If so then it'd be very simple to get it onto the newer machine which has of course got loads of stuff on it all ready.
Thanks

I can see what you are thinking, but no that isn't possible.
You can access the clone image filesystem, but in this case its no use.
Copying the program files folder from the clone to the new PC won't work,
as key elements of the OT 2004 install alter the windows registry and windows system files.
With a cloned drive image, its all or nothing.

Having said that, relatively simple programs can be copied across this way, but I doubt it will
work with OT2004, but I spose there is no harm trying, it won't damage anything.

The best way to use win7 and XP is get boot manager software and partitioning software.

Create at least 3 partitions on new PC hard drive.
Partition 1 = current win7 install.
Partition 2 = Cloned image of old XP OT2004 install.
Partition 3 = data.
Then use a boot manager to switch between the win7 / old XP installations each time PC is booted.

A simpler way would just be to get a couple of removable hard drive caddy's - 1 for win7, 1 for XP.
Keep internal drive as data only.
Downside is you need to completely switch off PC to change OS install by swapping drive caddy's.

Before using image cloning software, ideally you want to create a pure data drive or partition.
Failing that - DVD backup or similar will do for crucial data files.
This is because installing an image clone of a drive will erase EVERYTHING that was previously on the destination drive.

Last edited:
Me, being a simple soul, with absolutely no knowledge of software, whatever, would try post #5m first!

You, sir, are what they call OG and true old old school :D