Oil historical data needed

Lee Shepherd

Hi All,

Can anyone here help me with historical data relating to oil, either brent or light or both, doesn't matter. My current data only goes back as far as March 2011 so any data past this point would be most thankfully received.

I am looking to add historical oil prices to stock market index behaviour. As we are all aware the price of oil has an impact on nations GDP over a period of time and want to see how this behaves with certain major target markets.

Many thanks,

Lee

Hi All,

Can anyone here help me with historical data relating to oil, either brent or light or both, doesn't matter. My current data only goes back as far as March 2011 so any data past this point would be most thankfully received.

I am looking to add historical oil prices to stock market index behaviour. As we are all aware the price of oil has an impact on nations GDP over a period of time and want to see how this behaves with certain major target markets.

Many thanks,

Lee

courtesy of google finance..just to June 2010 however

Attachments

• BNO.csv
    30.2 KB · Views: 354
Depends on what TF you are looking for

but if Daily and Wkly / Monthly charts are ok Alpari goes back to 2001 for Brent
not sure about CL, as have nt loaded all the back data

for 2001 you need to load the back data
if you don't have Alpari - just download the demo and then follow the instructions

MetaTrader 4 Historical Data | Research Tools | Alpari UK

Alari does have a few big gaps in there data here and there, although overall quite good
but Metaquotes which most other MT4s rely on for back data is much worse

Last edited:
Hi All,

Many thanks,

Lee

Not as much coverage, only 3 years, but its free (if you already stumped up fee for
BMT elite) and its tick data:
Sources/Vendors for tick data - Vendors and Product Reviews | Big Mike Trading

Failing that:
http://www.tickdata.com/products/futures/available-futures-data/
CL data running from 1987 to present with quote data from 2010.
You don't have to buy as far back as '87, its up to you.
Check the tickwrite demo to ensure data conversion compatibility:
www.tickdata.com/downloads/TickWrite7_INSTALL_DEMO.exe
http://www.tickdata.com/downloads/TickWrite7_Manual.pdf
One of the best retail sources available.
https://store.tickdata.com/prices?productMarketId=PRODUCT_MARKET.FUTURES_INDICES
Pricing is good considering what you get.

Last edited:
Thanks all for replying, the free data was a great start before looking for more data to research. I went with Ycharts in the end, I could extract all the data at a click of a button going back to 1978 which was a help. It will give me something to do for the next couple of weeks anyhow.

Thanks Liquid Validity for the links.

Thanks WR1 for the link to Metatrader
&
Malaguti

Cheers and have a good week.

Lee

Thanks all for replying, the free data was a great start before looking for more data to research. I went with Ycharts in the end, I could extract all the data at a click of a button going back to 1978 which was a help. It will give me something to do for the next couple of weeks anyhow.

Thanks Liquid Validity for the links.

Thanks WR1 for the link to Metatrader
&
Malaguti

Cheers and have a good week.

Lee

No problem, thanks for the ychart tip - 1978...thats quite a dataset even in EOD.
Off to bookmark that now :)

No problem, thanks for the ychart tip - 1978...thats quite a dataset even in EOD.
Off to bookmark that now :)

Its the first time I've used them and don't really have any other sites to compare against but it certainly helped. I found extracting the data really useful and easy. They also have lots of other functions as well but they are of no use to me at this time.

Beware of the 'free trial', unfortunately its not quite that simple as I thought I could sign up for free, extract then run away without paying. Oh no though, I had to activate the card to do this exercise so paid the price. I was made fully aware of this and the site was very upfront and honest, if anything it was me trying to do a runner with free data :LOL:

Lee

Attached is the CL continuous futures data back from 03/30/1983 to 08/31/2012 if that helps you. And I've also attached the 30 year chart of CL with the S&P 500 (standard and log scales).

Also a site that has free data for huge amounts of futures contracts is: http://www.quandl.com/futures/wti-crude-oil-futures Unfortunately you have to piece together the contracts yourself to make the correct continuous chart. But just follow the volume to find the right contract at the right time.

Attachments

• CL 16.txt
    353.2 KB · Views: 1,769
  • CL_SPX_30year.png
    CL_SPX_30year.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 226
  • CL_SPX_30year_log.png
    CL_SPX_30year_log.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Attached is the CL continuous futures data back from 03/30/1983 to 08/31/2012 if that helps you. And I've also attached the 30 year chart of CL with the S&P 500 (standard and log scales).

Also a site that has free data for huge amounts of futures contracts is: WTI Crude Oil Futures - Quandl Unfortunately you have to piece together the contracts yourself to make the correct continuous chart. But just follow the volume to find the right contract at the right time.

Thanks mate, If i'd have waited for this I would have saved myself $49. Cheers anyway.

Lee