Oanda historical spreads - Really?

Bill Carson

17 0
Oanda, as you would understand, like to promote their competitive spreads and one of the tools they use is the historical spreads they display here http://fxtrade.oanda.com/why/spreads/recent

And "In keeping with our value of transparency, OANDA publishes our spread data in an easy-to-understand graphical format."

Now, I've looked at this a few times and I'm pretty sure I understand what is suppose to be going on here but something smells a bit fishy. Yesterday I had a demo trade in on the Sterling and it got stopped out at 18:30 Sydney time. No big deal, its a demo and I'm trying to refine a strategy.

The spread had blown out to 20 pips. Once again, no big deal its a demo and its best these things happen here.

In doing the failed trade post mortem I noticed that Oanda were claiming that the historical spread was a maximum of 1.8 pips at 18:30.

How could this be? 20 pips in FXTrade and 1.8 pips in the historical spread.

I sent off an email outlining my concern and received a reply telling me how to use the tool.

Tonight I thought I'd check it again before posting. The historical spread page has changed and it is now showing the correct maximum spread of 20 pips. Was it changed because I said something? I don't know.

I stand to be corrected but this looks dodgy to me, posting a low spread that would reflect Oanda in a good light and then amending after someone has caught them out. There may be a reason why this happens but I can't imagine what it would be that is why I asked Oanda first before posting. But since I didn't get a satisfactory reply I thought I'd throw it over to the board.

Bill Carson

17 0
For some reason I pasted the screen shots to a word doc and now I've copied them to paint to get it into an uploadable format. Not as clear as I would like it but hopefully it can be read.

Attachments

• Oanda Before.jpg
    Oanda Before.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 309
  • Oanda after.jpg
    Oanda after.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 638

Bill Carson

17 0
These may be easier to read. If I'm wrong can someone please point out my error.

Attachments

• Oanda Before 2.JPG
    Oanda Before 2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 381
  • Oanda After 2.JPG
    Oanda After 2.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 326

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock