'No indicators' revisited

Roberto

Experienced member
1,069 11
Long old thread, though, innit, John? Nearly 1,300 posts and I haven't yet put my head over the parapet ...

china white

Established member
979 12
still alive

IDI AMIN DADA said:
Anyone know what happened to china white?
Hello everyone, I do indeed have to apologise I have been terrible at keeping in touch :eek:

As for the reasons why I do not frequent our site any more, they have more to do with the equity underlyings I am dealing with these days, rather than with certain sad comments which sadly are inevitably galore on any public site. I am 99% Emerging Markets trader these days and I do not think I should be distracting beginners with what is seemingly riskier markets to trade. I emphasise "seemingly", since in reality once you know what you are doing and reading the charts properly, they are not any riskier than STOXX50 :LOL: But again - there is a certain learning curve for any beginner, and I think trading SPX where hitorical volatilities are less than 11% on both 3 months and 1 yr time frames is a good starting point.

Do not take me wrong - EM vols are also smacked - however there is a big difference for cash trading. Mature markets' vols collapsed on price congestion, i.e. price going nowhere, whilst EM's vols are low just for the simple reason that EMs that I trade just go up and up along a straight line - see Saudi and Russian indices price action attached.

It's been a delight to trade certain EM stocks as well, both Blue Chips and 2nd tiers. Sberbank (SBER RM) has been a massive star this year, and I am very bullish for 2006. Obviously Gazprom (GSPBEX* RU) is on everyone's lips - but the beauty of Russian markets these days is that they are no longer one stock story (unlike Saudi, which I also like but I know Saudi limitations - it is a one-commodity market, well apart from a bit of cement and telecoms of Etisalat variety). There are massive opportunities in Russian markets in 2006 which are NOT oil and gas related, the most notable obviously being SvyazInvest. In this regard I like regional telecoms like Volga and NorthWest (NNSI RU and SPTL RU) which me thinks will be massive stories next year.

Quite a few "Short" stories as well of course - look at Pyaterochka's (FIVE LI) price action - biggest Russian IPO of 2005. Trading Pyaterochka over the past 2 weeks was a bit like going back in time and trading NASDAQ stocks in 2001 :LOL:

C'mon chaps with the spread btwn 10 yr US Treasury and Russia's 30 yr Sovereign at 115 bp now, Russia's a bloody developed market now!

I still go back to good old Spooz and punt there sometimes :LOL: but I have to admit it is often times a bit boring..... :(

Plus extensive travelling :cheesy: without 50 Latin ladies tho :rolleyes: - so you'd perhaps excuse my absence on these forums.......

I wish everyone a very prosperous 2006, and most importantly, loads of fun trading!

Attachments

charliechan

Experienced member
1,008 119
china white said:
Hello everyone, I do indeed have to apologise I have been terrible at keeping in touch :eek:

As for the reasons why I do not frequent our site any more, they have more to do with the equity underlyings I am dealing with these days, rather than with certain sad comments which sadly are inevitably galore on any public site. I am 99% Emerging Markets trader these days and I do not think I should be distracting beginners with what is seemingly riskier markets to trade. I emphasise "seemingly", since in reality once you know what you are doing and reading the charts properly, they are not any riskier than STOXX50 :LOL: But again - there is a certain learning curve for any beginner, and I think trading SPX where hitorical volatilities are less than 11% on both 3 months and 1 yr time frames is a good starting point.

Do not take me wrong - EM vols are also smacked - however there is a big difference for cash trading. Mature markets' vols collapsed on price congestion, i.e. price going nowhere, whilst EM's vols are low just for the simple reason that EMs that I trade just go up and up along a straight line - see Saudi and Russian indices price action attached.

It's been a delight to trade certain EM stocks as well, both Blue Chips and 2nd tiers. Sberbank (SBER RM) has been a massive star this year, and I am very bullish for 2006. Obviously Gazprom (GSPBEX* RU) is on everyone's lips - but the beauty of Russian markets these days is that they are no longer one stock story (unlike Saudi, which I also like but I know Saudi limitations - it is a one-commodity market, well apart from a bit of cement and telecoms of Etisalat variety). There are massive opportunities in Russian markets in 2006 which are NOT oil and gas related, the most notable obviously being SvyazInvest. In this regard I like regional telecoms like Volga and NorthWest (NNSI RU and SPTL RU) which me thinks will be massive stories next year.

Quite a few "Short" stories as well of course - look at Pyaterochka's (FIVE LI) price action - biggest Russian IPO of 2005. Trading Pyaterochka over the past 2 weeks was a bit like going back in time and trading NASDAQ stocks in 2001 :LOL:

C'mon chaps with the spread btwn 10 yr US Treasury and Russia's 30 yr Sovereign at 115 bp now, Russia's a bloody developed market now!

I still go back to good old Spooz and punt there sometimes :LOL: but I have to admit it is often times a bit boring..... :(

Plus extensive travelling :cheesy: without 50 Latin ladies tho :rolleyes: - so you'd perhaps excuse my absence on these forums.......

I wish everyone a very prosperous 2006, and most importantly, loads of fun trading!

interesting stuff. what broker do you use for international stocks? what are the costs like? are the exchanges electronic or open outcry?

Quercus

399 7
Good to see you making a crust China! ;)
All the best for the festive season ahead.
Still having a go at it - learned a LOT this year, hopefully I can say the same in another years time! :LOL:
Q

china white

Established member
979 12
brokers

charliechan said:
interesting stuff. what broker do you use for international stocks? what are the costs like? are the exchanges electronic or open outcry?

First and foremost, you trade ADRs just as any shares on NYSE. London GDRs are normal LSE stocks apart from their denomination in USD as base currency. You normally pay 20 bips

If you want to do locals you need local geezers :LOL: I use BSF (Banque Saudi Fransi) in Riyadh and UralSib (former Nikoil) in Moscow.

Q - thx for your post. I wish you a fab time trading in 2006 as well!

barjon

Legendary member
10,235 1,538
pippie said:
Can you tell me how to view your charts?
Thank you

hi pippie,

just click on the thumbnail image and it should open in a new window - then there's a zoom button bottom right.

jon

sambinho

35 1
This Bid A-Tool chap may only have been a few weeks off the mark in his prediction!

Rather shakey trend line on the FTSE after the last few days of hideousness, similar story for the Russell 2000 & dow, global inflation fears etc.

Will certainly be an interesting couple of weeks to see how it unfolds, pivotal time.

Still, if this fellow was correct - can the mods put me in touch with him? He can be my 'no indicators' method of trading. :D

des44

281 8
Yo Skimbleshanks (and others):

Do you ever use Japanese candlesticks over the Western bar charts?

d-

bracke

Experienced member
1,286 12
des44 said:
Yo Skimbleshanks (and others):

Do you ever use Japanese candlesticks over the Western bar charts?

d-
des44

If you look at the posting dates you will see that this thread is not in current use. Unfortunately Skimbleshanks ceased posting some while ago. If I remember correctly she preferred bar charts over candles as she felt that the candle 'body' took the eye away from the high and low.

Regards

bracke

SOCRATES

Veteren member
4,966 134
bracke said:
des44

If you look at the posting dates you will see that this thread is not in current use. Unfortunately Skimbleshanks ceased posting some while ago. If I remember correctly she preferred bar charts over candles as she felt that the candle 'body' took the eye away from the high and low.

Regards

bracke
No, not exactly. That was not Skim's reason.

The ability to spot what is going on inside the bar is the important bit.

bracke

Experienced member
1,286 12
SOCRATES said:
No, not exactly. That was not Skim's reason.

The ability to spot what is going on inside the bar is the important bit.
In that case is it not easier to spot what is going on inside the bar with a candle as it highlights the inside area?

Regards

bracke

Reactions: new_trader

SOCRATES

Veteren member
4,966 134
bracke said:
In that case is it not easier to spot what is going on inside the bar with a candle as it highlights the inside area?

Regards

bracke
No you need to use a Tilley Lamp, but the bar has to be really fat for this to work.