Newbie trading plan

waswilton

Hello,

I am posting my trading plan and am interested to get some feedback from others.

About me:
I have been trading unsuccessfully for quite a number of years. I have never before had any kind of plan or strategy.
I have jumped from one indicator to the next but never stuck with any.

Trading Plan:
(I have used the trading plan from T2W and Tharp’s in “Trade your way to financial freedom)

Why do I want to be a trader?

In long term - alternative source of income that does not hold the risk of falling of a roof -like my present job. Provide for future, kids education, retirement etc.

I also like charts - don't know why.

What sort of trader am I?

Medium term, expect to hold successful positions for a few weeks.

I work full times so can only spend 1 hour of so per day on trading.

What platform?

I will use spread betting because it allows me to take small positions and set guaranteed stop losses.

Time available:

30- 60 mins each day to go over trading, to write journal and check charts.

Account size and risk:

Account size £5000.
Maximium draw down 25%.

My aim is to make 25% per year.

Max risk: 3% of my fund on a trade.

Which Markets will I trade?

FTSE companies, allows small positions and tighter spreads

Preparation to trade:
I will plan my trades when the market is closed and open them the next day if the price moves in the direction and range I expect.

When I am constantly watching my positions I tend to tinker with them, I trade better when I am away from the screen.

I will use daily charts provided by my spread betting company.

Once a week I will select the potential trades for the week ahead, they will go on the short list, the short list will be checked daily

Every trade will be planned, plan written down and put into journal.
Every trade will be analyzed once it is over, and put into journal.

Stop loses:
I will always set guaranteed stop loses. I will never increase my stop lose once it is set. I will never add to a loosing position.

Set up and setting SL:

Use support and resistance to judge entry.
My stop lose will be a little above or below S or R.
I will use trailing stop loses; I will move SL to new areas of S/R.

If the price rockets or nose dives with out making new S/R I will use a 115 day moving average to set the SL.

There's nothing wrong with it, providing you can stick to your rules. Have you tested this strategy with a demo account or just paper trading?

The key thing about your strategy: can you identify a trend that is going to keep going?

Also, isn't a 115 SMA a bit slow? You could give back a lot of profits before your stop is hit. Have you tested this?

Thanks, I have tested my method with back testing and am happy am prepared to go live with it.

You ask can I identify a trend that is going to keep going. My answer to that is no, I don't know how to do that. All I can do is try to jump in when I get an entry signal, if I am correct I can go with the trend, if I am wrong I get stopped out.

I am new to this, but having read on this site and else where is it not quite normal to get it wrong quite often but when your wrong get out.

Thanks for you coments about the MA. I will look at that, however, I don't intend to use the MA all the time only when the price runs away and there are no obvious S or R and so the 115 MA would be closer. The reason I chose 115 is that the price seems to nip through the 100 ma and then recover so I wanted to give myself more room.

I have been trading unsuccessfully for quite a number of years. I have used the trading plan from T2W

Hahaha. Sorry, made me laugh.

OK, I cba reading your full post, it's tldr territory. if it's FX you're after do this;

Put 500 quid in a micro account, risk 2% per trade. trade only the EUR/USD off a 1-2hr TF. Do it for a month get back to us..

My first forex plan was to open just short positions and if it goes in "-" wait until it will go "+", but after some weeks it would rarely went "+" then "-", so i understood that you need to improve your plan everytime and find new ways of success, because the market is so changeable and it is impossible to stay on one place ;)

Hi,

Thanks to all the above respected members for the great welcome really impress with the forums and all of the members!

rgds,
priya(y)

• Open a brokerage account.
  • Set a stock trading budget.
  • Learn to use market orders and limit orders.
  • Practice with a virtual trading account.
  • Measure your returns against an appropriate benchmark.
  • Keep your perspective.
  • Lower risk by building positions gradually.
  • Ignore 'hot tips'