Newbie Question

davide123

Hello, hopefully I can get some advice on some share dealing, I am looking to buy shares for the long term (10-15 years or more) rather than rely on pension providers to do it on my behalf. I do not own any shares right now. I know this sounds like a question that an idiot would post but I know nothing of share dealing and appreciate a good starting point.

Would you be able to let me know a good respectable company that would allow me to purchase shares online and hold them for me in the long term and the kind of account that is suited for this purpose. I keep coming across this company : TD Direct Investing but I have never heard of them.

Thanks in advance.

There's quite a few who will do this online..
III
Selftrade
Ishares
TD Ameritrade to name but a few

What you may want to consider is the individual dealing cost for each transaction as they differ, as well as the annual/quarterly administration fees which are all coming in now.
Quite simply where in the past you would physically hold the share, these companies are nominees and so all the paperwork is done by them.
Hope this helps

I would first check if your bank offers this service - as many do. This simplifies the number of companies you need to deal with. They may not be the most competitive on transaction costs but as you look like you do not intend to make trades then this may be the simplest option for you.

I would first check if your bank offers this service - as many do. This simplifies the number of companies you need to deal with. They may not be the most competitive on transaction costs but as you look like you do not intend to make trades then this may be the simplest option for you.

Sound advice -people like HalifaxBank etc would suit your type investment.
Good luck:)

Hello, hopefully I can get some advice on some share dealing, I am looking to buy shares for the long term (10-15 years or more) rather than rely on pension providers to do it on my behalf. I do not own any shares right now. I know this sounds like a question that an idiot would post but I know nothing of share dealing and appreciate a good starting point.

Would you be able to let me know a good respectable company that would allow me to purchase shares online and hold them for me in the long term and the kind of account that is suited for this purpose. I keep coming across this company : TD Direct Investing but I have never heard of them.

Thanks in advance.

where ar they incorporated?

Thanks in advance.

sounds like a good idea .............drip feed investment into the equities market focussing on QUALITY companies and reinvest the Dividends

as you are probably aware its the dividend re-investment that will provide you with the kicker in ther longterm

any decent bank will accomodate your needs......(y)

N