Newbie option returns (how are you doing?)

pjsmith

Hi All,

I am an options newbie. I've been actively trading for the last couple months.

I am looking to gauge my progress/success vs others in the current market as I have no idea if this is reasonable return or not ( to me, coming from 0% bank interest, it's obviously a fantastic step in the right direction!).

Since November, I traded around 186 contracts and made a return of just over 3% on my total pot (not roc). My wins are very evenly distributed, i.e. no majority losses and a few big winners.

I'd love to compare.

Paul

Last edited:
I am wondering what BO strategy you've chosen to make such prolific results? I just started to trade hotforex BO, but lack of my knowledge greatly impacts on my outcome.. Can you help me with advice?

hey there

any results in the black is good ...........so well done ..........and I hope this is not a set up thread

N

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks. Actually now at 4.03% percent, though I'm sure that can change quickly (down!). Not sure what was meant by the 'set up 'thread'. I've nothing to sell, if that's what was meant. I do not know anyone else that trades (it's a lonely but enjoyable hobby), so my question was an honest one. I really have absolutely no idea what others consider normal returns for non-professionals trading options for income and of course asking a trader what they make even if I knew one..., hence my post. I'm very happy with returns to date, but have no idea if I can maintain that over a decent period, nor if it is considered reasonable, poor, or otherwise. I will continue to try and improve, but it's always nice to gauge ones success, or failures against people doing the same.

Gerryg : 'prolific results' - not sure about that, but I'm very new to options. Not someone to be giving anyone else advice. I know little about forex trading.

I hope I can keep it going for 12 months and review then, with a similar outlook.

Hi,

Thanks. Actually now at 4.03% percent, though I'm sure that can change quickly (down!). Not sure what was meant by the 'set up 'thread'. I've nothing to sell, if that's what was meant. I do not know anyone else that trades (it's a lonely but enjoyable hobby), so my question was an honest one. I really have absolutely no idea what others consider normal returns for non-professionals trading options for income and of course asking a trader what they make even if I knew one..., hence my post. I'm very happy with returns to date, but have no idea if I can maintain that over a decent period, nor if it is considered reasonable, poor, or otherwise. I will continue to try and improve, but it's always nice to gauge ones success, or failures against people doing the same.

Gerryg : 'prolific results' - not sure about that, but I'm very new to options. Not someone to be giving anyone else advice. I know little about forex trading.

I hope I can keep it going for 12 months and review then, with a similar outlook.

I assume you are primarily positive theta on your portfolio? what brokerage do you use?

If you're making winning trades following a set strategy, then you should be fine. But if you're making random trades by using gut feeling then I'd be inclined to stop trading for a while until you can device a rigid and proper plan to follow.

If you're making winning trades following a set strategy, then you should be fine. But if you're making random trades by using gut feeling then I'd be inclined to stop trading for a while until you can device a rigid and proper plan to follow.

+1

I am looking to gauge my progress/success vs others in the current market as I have no idea if this is reasonable return or not ( to me, coming from 0% bank interest, it's obviously a fantastic step in the right direction!).

Hi Paul, I too am an Options Newbie - and I find myself here because I really need to get my act together - I've been totally wrong on the market direction several times and lost the whole trade (luckily they were calls) and then on the other side I lucked out with a couple of home runs so I am just about even.

I'm finding the Canadian Market to be very low Volume - while the US market can be so volatile that I end up glued to my screen for fear of the big loss. I came to this site to learn how to protect against option losses (like a trailing stop loss for stocks)...

Anyhow - I have a lot to learn - that is for sure...

Patrick

I assume you are primarily positive theta on your portfolio? what brokerage do you use?

Hi - can you tell me (as a real newbie) what you mean by theta (and 'positive theta') - I've seen something somewhere about the Greeks - does this relate?

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi Paul, I too am an Options Newbie - and I find myself here because I really need to get my act together - I've been totally wrong on the market direction several times and lost the whole trade (luckily they were calls) and then on the other side I lucked out with a couple of home runs so I am just about even.

I'm finding the Canadian Market to be very low Volume - while the US market can be so volatile that I end up glued to my screen for fear of the big loss. I came to this site to learn how to protect against option losses (like a trailing stop loss for stocks)...

Anyhow - I have a lot to learn - that is for sure...

Patrick

Hi,

Why not give non-directional limited risk strategies like iron condors a try. You won't have to watch them constantly and you will limit your losses. I see you mentioned TT. They are a fantastic resource. Spend your spare time there and you will learn a lot.

Good luck!

Paul

Last edited: