New Computer

TRY CPC. FOR COMPUTERPARTS.GREAT CATALOGUE, BUILD YOURSELF A VERY POWERFUL SET ON THE CHEAP.TEL. 08701 20 25 30. FAX08701 20 25 31. EMAIL. [email protected]. PS NO IM NOT ON COMISSION. : :

For even better prices, and latest parts try the computer fairs in London off tottenham Court Road on Saturdays, or Stratford on Sundays (& Saturdays?).

Barry

Can anyone run through what I have to do to set up a dual monitor system from one computer. Tired of running 3 comps.

IE Sierra charts on one screen and IB trading platform on the other. Running win2000 pro.

Ta.

Options.

Hi Options (again)
All you need is a dual screen video card available from any old PC World or the like. Some allow you to run up to 4 monitors on one computer.
But these cards are quite expensive and when i was looking to do the same i decided it was cheaper to get a 'Fast ethernet network in a box' so both my computers could access the broadband internet/printer. Plus one computer running several applications is bound to be slower than two computers running applications independently.
hope this helps
HJ

twin screens?
Any Matrox G400/G500 series card.. second hand on ebay from £35...

See www.matrox.com

Setup? With XP/Win2k it's very easy..

Speed? I run 1 PC with IRT, GNI. broadband, 2 screens, IE6 OE open and MIRC cpu utilisation at worst (Duron 1200) at traffic peaks) 35%..

Thanks Hjk and Mad.
Not using a stand alone data feed anymore, so don't really need to run 2 comps.

Thought about the speed effect. One comp v two comp etc.
Though wouldn't have thought todays computers would have suffered too much from that.

Anyone know for sure?

Running 1400 512 ram 40 gb amd duron

Ta.

Options.

Speed you don't need.... not for what we do anyway. I used to run an Athlon750 with 3 monitors, sweet as you like.....Greed and the fact that it doesn't cost me anything to upgrade means I now have an Athlon 1700. I could have a n Athlon 2.4G but that's just a plain waste of money......I recommend Jetway 315 Dual head as the primary AGP and a Wonder 5000 PCI for the extra monitors. Nvidia and Matrox D/heads have their problems. IF you chose these, make sure you specify "for multi monitor use" and that the company is prepared to refund you if they don't work....

I bought an Appian Geronimo twin head video card on ebay for £20. Needed to download the s/w from their website. It's a fairly big card so you need a full size tower to fit it in. A complete mystery to me but my son managed it OK - that's what kids are for! Running PIII-667 with 576MB RAM on WIN98. Would NEVER go back to single screen.

Chartman - it is b.....y wonderful.
I have sharescope on, it used to take 15 mins to load and update. It now takes 3 on a slow day.
I daren't blink in case I miss something!!!.
Many thanks for your help. It was invaluable.
Orchard.

3 mins to load Sharescope.
Mine takes..about 15 secs!
(and that's with IRT and IE running..)
Have you set it up correctly?
My experience of Sharescope is it's always very fast loading...

ChartMan

I have read your views on your upgrade/new computer with interest, especially relating to connecting DSL to a Network Card.

I have BT ADSL connected to the USB port.

Please, can you describe the advantages of connecting to a Network Card over the USB, and also how I can go about converting.

Many Thanks

USB uses more resources that an NIC so is less "efficient" If you have a really powerful PC, then it's probably splitting hairs... to change, make sure your ADSL modem has an RJ45 connector to hook up to a network card. Fit a network card, load the drivers ( if needed) set your browser to use LAN connection ( auto) and away you go.....

ChartMan

Excellent, the problem I have is that my computer keeps on freezing, and nothing functions, and I have to reset the computer everytime this happens.

My computer is made up of PChips 810LR MB --- 1G SDRAM -- 40G HD -- G200 Matrox Card --- AMD 1800+ CPU --- ADSL

There may be a conflict in the hardware, but I can't figure out what it is, it's driving me crazy!!!

If anyone has experienced this problems and knows a fix, I will be interested in your comments.

Keep up the good work

Hehe try taking out 512 Meg of memory...... You don't say if you are using Win98... IF you are, then that's probably the problem. Win98 doesn't work properly with more than 512M installed.
Even if you have W2K or Win XP, I'd still try taking memory out- one of the sticks maybe faulty....

Chartman
May I pick your brains again? My system keeps coming up with updates from MS. Is it a good idea to install them, or should I keep ignoring them. (My ignorance is showing again!!!)

IF it is a LEGITIMATE version of windows XP Pro, then install all the updates on offer. BEWARE installing any form of peripheral drivers from Microsoft!!! ie video card, modem etc. I have had trouble with interface drivers wreaking havok. Best thing is to set a "restore point" before installing any drivers. If it goes belly up, you can either " revert to previous driver" or go back to a previous system restore point. There's lots of "security" issues in the upgrades. First one to install is service pack one. - I hope you've got broadband cos it's about 50 meg!!
IF you don't have a legitimate verson of XP Pro DO NOT install service pack one!!!! instead, load all the individual updates.
The only I/O driver update I would say was worthwhile would be your network interface card.